[comp.databases] Vines/Oracle client help needed

maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) (04/17/91)

We're a Banyan Vines shop and have a requirement to put a DBMS on the
network and find some good front end tools (BTW, we're also a CLIPPER
shop, and have PC/FOCUS and the good old COBOL too). Oracle for VINES
is going to be our server for multiple reasons, including management
fiat and the fact that only Oracle runs natively under VINES.

Is anyone writing apps for Oracle under VINES? Im trying to get a handle
on my alternatives. There is SQLWindows, but its not clear yet if I can
bring that in. There are the Oracle tools, and Ive heard differing
opinions about whether we can write industrial strength apps using them.
Id like to leverage our use of dBASE (and its derivatives).

Would appreciate any help.

Mark Aurit
Internet: maurit@nrtc.northrop.com
CompuServer: 71327,2534
Phone: (213) 331-4069

sig@pluto.uucp (Sigurd P. Crossland) (04/18/91)

In article <22327@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) writes:

>shop, and have PC/FOCUS and the good old COBOL too). Oracle for VINES
>is going to be our server for multiple reasons, including management
>fiat and the fact that only Oracle runs natively under VINES.

You may wish to consider VIA as an alternative to Oracle on VINES.  They offer
a VINES server version, as well as versions that run on other UNIX platforms.
Their address: VIA International
               2000 Corporate Ridge
               Suite 260
               McLean, VA   22102
               (703) 749-3535

VIA offers a full range of application and development tools, including a VIA
server to dBase IV client interface.  The VIA architecture itself is somewaht
interesting in that it is based on a temporal ordered stack which has a number
of inherent advantages over traditional RDBMS implementations.  VIA/DRE offers
a truly distributed capability, especially useful in the VINES environment
because tables may be located at geographicly dispersed nodes in a WAN.  (Ask
to see the demo of the join between local tables and tables located in Finland
using X.25 PDNs.)  Also impressive is the capability to insert variable length
rows and achieve a significant compression benefit.

All in all, it's quite an impressive alternative to Oracle on VINES or UNIX.

---
Sigurd P. Crossland                                Contel Federal Systems
Principal Engineer                                 FSS/GSY/SWE WTP-2214N
Internet: sig@europa.asd.contel.com                15000 Conference Center Dr.