[comp.databases] Any good books on Oracle V6 esp DBAing ?

exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Nirad Sharma) (04/05/91)

As the title says.

Nirad Sharma  (exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au)		Phone : (61 7) 365 7575
Systems Programmer					Fax :	(61 7) 870 5080
Continuing Education Unit
The University of Queensland
AUSTRALIA
--
Newsgroups: comp.databases
Subject: Any good books on Oracle V6 esp DBAing ?

heymann@gmdzi.gmd.de (Susanne Heymann) (04/05/91)

exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Nirad Sharma) writes:

>As the title says.

Please count me in on that.

   Ciao
       Susanne Heymann 		       e-mail: heymann@eissn9.gmd.DE
          GMD-E.I.S.                           heymann@gmdzi.UUCP
        P.O.Box 12 40                  phone:   (+49) 2241 / 14-2852
D-5205 St. Augustin 1, Germany         fax:     (+49) 2241 / 14-2342

jean@beno.CSS.GOV (Jean Anderson) (04/06/91)

Regarding....

>Subject: Any good books on Oracle V6 esp DBAing ?
>As the title says.

... and ...

>Please count me in on that.

I, too, would love to see such a thing.  Until there is one, check out the ORACLE bulletin
board in Belmont (call your customer services rep for an account/passwd).

I apologize in advance to ORACLE Corp. if it isn't kosher to do this, but I'm including a
partial list of RDBMS titles down below along with the DOC #.

My absolute two favorite are 99979.315 ("Which Rollback Segments Processes Are Using?")
and 99979.343 ("Description of v$sysstat and v$sesstat views").  The use of the first
one is probably obvious.  I use the second as one of the steps in monitoring/tuning database
performance.

Again, this is posted without permission (forgive me if I got any DOC numbers wrong--I
have a kludgy method of cutting and pasting from motif):

     Headline or Title (whichever is more clear)                   DOC #
     COMMON PROBLEMS/QUESTIONS                                     11606.004
     TYPES OF CONSTRAINTS                                          99751.81
     HOW TO CHECK DATABASE INTEGRITY                               99740.28
     THE AFFECT OF DML OPERATIONS ON SPACE                         78867.041
     USING 'EXPLAIN PLAN':  SUBQUERIES IN UPDATE STATEMENTS        99994.935
     Finding the SID of a Database Connection                      99820.135
     INDEX STATISTICS                                              99751.686
     HOW TO TREAT LARGE OBJECTS IN A DATABASE                      99807.669
     RW ENQUEUES AND ROWIDS                                        99740.175
     INDEX SELECTION: THE OPTIMIZER REVEALED                       99416.565
     V6.0 DATABASE: TIPS FOR A HEALTHY BACKUP                      99972.646
     SPACE REQUIREMENTS IN VERSION 6                               99762.39
     QUERY PATHS RANKED IN ORDER OF SPEED                         100040.163
     REDO LOG GUIDE LINES                                          99363.098
     REFERENTIAL INTEGRITY ENFORCEMENT                             99740.254
     HOW MANY ROLLBACK SEGMENTS TO HAVE                            99360.82
     ROLLBACK SEGMENT EXTENTS                                      99267.6
     Which Rollback Segments Processes Are Using?                  99979.315
     SQL SCRIPTS THAT REPORT SESSION STATISTICS                    99910.033
     Interesting Aspects Of The SQL*DBA Monitor Lock Display       99459.319
     Description of v$sysstat and v$sesstat views                  99979.343
     HOW TO DETERMINE A USER'S RESOURCE PRIVILEGES                 99994.964

I don't have time to log in every day or even every week, but I do try to login at least
twice a month just to see what's new in the RDBMS category.

I would really like to see ORACLE expand the bulletin board postings as far as possible.
I'd especially like to see more articles on RDBMS internals.

And, no, I don't work for ORACLE Corp.  But when I need additional information *fast* with
a frustrated user breathing down my neck, I first check out the bulletin board.

     | Jean Anderson, DBA                            email:  jean@seismo.css.gov  |
     | SAIC Geophysics Division, Mailstop 12            or:  jean@esosun.css.gov  |
     | 10210 Campus Point Drive                      phone:  (619)458-2727        |
     | San Diego, CA  92121                            fax:  (619)458-4993        |
     |                Any opinions are mine, not my employer's.                   |

hen@bucsf.bu.edu (Wm. H. Henneman) (04/18/91)

I have found the following two books useful:
	Oracle, the Complete Reference by George Koch, Osborne
McGraw-Hill, 1990.  ISBN 0-07-881635-1.
	Working with Oracle, version 6.0, by JackL. Hursch & Carolyn J. Hursch, Windcrest Books, 1989. ISBN 0-8306-3246-8(P).

	Bill Henneman