[comp.databases] Paradox Runtime?

mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) (03/10/91)

Has anyone used Runtime? How is it to ?compile? things with it, what are
the limitations of the software?  What can't a user be given?

--
 But I still like my ST...         HP-48SX            CIS      70521,373
 SOCEUR (A)                                         Bitnet    mjducey@suvm

neuwirth@ficc.ferranti.com (howard neuwirth-hirsch) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.023810.16312@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) writes:
> Has anyone used Runtime? How is it to ?compile? things with it, what are
> the limitations of the software?  What can't a user be given?

I have used the run time module with version 3.01.  The Runtime is a
replacement for the Paradox package itself.  You would normally put your
application in a library, except for a small entry script to invoke it.
This would be done by you with the full Paradox.

The user would get Runtime, the entry script, your library, and any
forms or reports needed by the application.  If you used the Data Entry
Toolkit, those librarys would also be provided.

--
Howard Neuwirth-Hirsch

neuwirth@ferranti.com

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.023810.16312@rodan.acs.syr.edu> mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) writes:
>Has anyone used Runtime? How is it to ?compile? things with it, what are
>the limitations of the software?  What can't a user be given?

Paradox Runtime is essentially Paradox itself with the ECHO command
inactivated. So with runtime you can do anything that you can do within
Paradox itself ... you just may not be able to see what you're doing. The
only way to access use of the ECHO command is via the REFRESHSCREEN command
supplied with the TOOLKIT library. Runtime will not work with the Paradox-
supplied Toolkit, and you must use the Runtime-supplied Toolkit instead.
I am using Runtime for a PAL application that I recently developed that is
about 12,000 lines of PAL with a few thousand lines of 'C' programs running
underneath that do some serial I/O, file I/O, printer control, etc. Runtime
works very well. It will execute any PAL script that you have developed
just as if it were done using Paradox itself. The Runtime manual also
says that you can distribute the utility programs supplied with Paradox
as well, for example TUTILITY.EXE (validates and possibly rebuilds damaged
databases) and README.COM (a simple but very useful document browser). I
have actually incorporated the use of both of these programs into the
application that I am distributing. README can be a useful tool for online
help, etc.

Glenn

ac119@cleveland.freenet.edu (Neil Parks) (04/14/91)

I recently started using Paradox 3.5 where I work, and would like to get
some info on Paradox Runtime.  I wrote to Borland and asked about it, but
never got a reply.  If anyone can tell me where to buy it, how much does
it cost, etc etc, please let me know via email.  Thank you.

------------------------------
NEIL EDWARD PARKS

(Internet)  ac119@cleveland.freenet.edu
(Fidonet)  157/511  (Appleholics)
(GT)  22/9  (Akademia)

"Let's Go Mets!"
------------------------------

--

byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Bill Yock) (04/17/91)

From article <1991Apr14.055709.24788@NCoast.ORG>, by ac119@cleveland.freenet.edu (Neil Parks):
> I recently started using Paradox 3.5 where I work, and would like to get
> some info on Paradox Runtime.  I wrote to Borland and asked about it, but
> never got a reply.  If anyone can tell me where to buy it, how much does
> it cost, etc etc, please let me know via email.  Thank you.

Usually they ship an order form along with the package but some people did
not receive one in version 3.5.  If cost $30 and is only available through
Borland that I know off.  Keep badgering customer service until they send
you one.
--
Bill Yock, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242
byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

pdurham@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Pam Durham) (04/17/91)

You should be able to call Borland support and get runtime.  There
isn't a charge for it until you sell more than 100, I think, copies
of your application.

I think to receive runtime you must be a registered user of Paradox.

Good Luck,
Pam Durham

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (04/18/91)

In article <2230001@hpldsla.sid.hp.com> pdurham@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Pam Durham) writes:

>You should be able to call Borland support and get runtime.  There
>isn't a charge for it until you sell more than 100, I think, copies
                                                ^^^

Actually the Runtime document quotes that "an unlimited" number of copies can
be distributed as long as the license agreement is not violated, which states
things like: distributed Runtime diskettes must be appropriately labelled, etc.

Glenn