[comp.databases] Zip Code Database anyone?

watson@intermec.com (Bob Watson) (04/10/91)

I'm looking for a database or file that has a cross-reference from either the
5 or the 9-digit zip code to the corresponding city and state. I've seen such
an item advertised before, but have long since lost the reference or ad. Any
information would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance...
					Bob Watson

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (04/11/91)

In article <1533@intermec.UUCP> watson@intermec.com (Bob Watson) writes:
>I'm looking for a database or file that has a cross-reference from either the
>5 or the 9-digit zip code to the corresponding city and state. I've seen such
>an item advertised before, but have long since lost the reference or ad. Any
>information would be appreciated!
>
>Thanks in advance...
>					Bob Watson

About two months ago, someone posted a flatfile database of 5 digit zips,
cities, and states.  I've massaged this into .dbf format and would be happy
to share it.  It's > 46,000 records, ~1.3mb uncompressed.

If there's sufficient interest, I'll make available by anon. FTP somewhere,
but I'm new to the net and am not sure of the best way to do this yet.

--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

roth@pdntg1.paradyne.com (Mike Rothman) (04/18/91)

In article <1533@intermec.UUCP> watson@intermec.com (Bob Watson) writes:
>I'm looking for a database or file that has a cross-reference from either the
>5 or the 9-digit zip code to the corresponding city and state. I've seen such
>an item advertised before, but have long since lost the reference or ad. Any
>information would be appreciated!
>
>Thanks in advance...
>					Bob Watson

Clarion has a ZIP code LEM (Language Extension Module) that it sells for
its Clarion product, whether it is usable for non-clarion products...
ZZ

lepofsky@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (Mark Lepofsky) (04/18/91)

>In article <1533@intermec.UUCP> watson@intermec.com (Bob Watson) writes:
>I'm looking for a database or file that has a cross-reference from either the
>5 or the 9-digit zip code to the corresponding city and state. I've seen such
>an item advertised before, but have long since lost the reference or ad. Any
>information would be appreciated!
>
>Thanks in advance...
>					Bob Watson

I remember seeing a product catalog from Melissa [...I can't remember the
full company name...] that included such a database, albeit included in
packages that make use of it.
--
Mark Lepofsky                     Internet: lepofsky@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Vanderbilt Engineering Center for Transportation Operations and Research

mewes@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Keith Mewes) (04/18/91)

>>In article <1533@intermec.UUCP> watson@intermec.com (Bob Watson) writes:
>>I'm looking for a database or file that has a cross-reference from either the
>>5 or the 9-digit zip code to the corresponding city and state. I've seen such
>>an item advertised before, but have long since lost the reference or ad. Any
>>information would be appreciated!
>>
>>Thanks in advance...
>>					Bob Watson

Have you check with the Post Office?  One of their branches does sell
this information on tapes, you would have to make the database.
It was located somewhere in Maryland, I think but I cannot find the
literature since I gave it to someone else to look over.  They have
everyone that has been assigned a nine digit zip in the country, but
you buy the tape a section at a time, was $12/section.

Keith Mewes

kayvan@satyr.UUCP (Kayvan Sylvan) (04/19/91)

Just use the ZIP code program (and database) that was posted to
alt.sources or comp.unix.sources a while back.

Roll your own, it's easy, fast, and cheap.

			---Kayvan
--
| Kayvan Sylvan          Consulting/Training              879 Lewiston Drive |
| Sylvan Associates      Unix and Mac Programming         San Jose, CA 95136 |