[comp.databases] CLIPPERS87 RUN help needed

maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) (04/17/91)

Im writing a utility for a user in which they can perform selective
archiving, and decided to use the DOS BACKUP/RESTORE commands. I wrote
a standalone program, linking it with TLINK. After getting it working
I linked it into the main program (using BLINKER), which is fairly
large (>526K disk space), and the sucker blew on the misc_error about
RUN processing (on the line prior to the "RUN BACKUP" a MEMORY(0)=64).
Since I believe it could find command.com, which was comspec'ed, I assume
its a memory problem.

I see 2 options (actually, 3, but I dont consider have the user
jump in and out of the system as viable):

  - buy a memory overlay manager such as DrSwitch or MOM.

  - buy a back-up utility (that does not call DOS) designed to work
  within CLIPPER, such as the GrumpFish Backup library.

Id like help in the following areas:
        - am I merely missing something in my programming (i.e.
        maybe there is a BLINKER feature that will help - Im using
        MEMOPACK(10)). I also have ALINK - would that work?

        - which the better of the memory overlay managers? I dont
        have firsthand experience with either, and would appreciate
        any comments from users.

        - are there other (and maybe better) backups than Grumpfish? Again,
        Id especially like to hear from anyone with experience.

Thanks

Mark Aurit

P.S. Programming in C or Assembly are not options. Neither is 5.0!!

internet: maurit@nrtc.northrop.com
cserve: 71327,2534
mcimail: maurit
phone: (213) 331-4069

b39y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/19/91)

In article <22328@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com>,
maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) writes:
> Im writing a utility for a user in which they can perform selective
> archiving, and decided to use the DOS BACKUP/RESTORE commands. I wrote
> a standalone program, linking it with TLINK. After getting it working
> I linked it into the main program (using BLINKER), which is fairly
> large (>526K disk space), and the sucker blew on the misc_error about
> RUN processing (on the line prior to the "RUN BACKUP" a MEMORY(0)=64).
> Since I believe it could find command.com, which was comspec'ed, I assume
> its a memory problem.

My first question is: how much memory do you have on this machine.  Second, do
you have a Clipper environment variable set?  If not, try the following before
your program begins:

SET CLIPPER=R48;Fxx;E000   - where xx is the number of files open you need.

Finally, I would strongly urge you to reconsider using DOS BACKUP/RESTORE as
your data backup routines.  If your data are imporant to you, write some
routines in Clipper to do the backup yourself, or use a different backup
program.  I have had very little luck in getting data off of disks written to
by DOS BACKUP.

Good luck, and post or email if you have more questions/clarifications.

Dave Rodger
Applications Programmer, Cornell University
b39y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu