[comp.databases] wanted: GIS bibliography

fjh@bbn.com (Frederick J. Hirsch) (04/17/91)

I am interested in learning about geographic databases, and would like to
learn what is involved in building one. If someone can send me a reference
or bibliography of references on how to actually create a geographic
database I would appreciate it. I am familiar with general database issues,
as discussed in Date's book.

Are there any examples of geographic databases in actual use?

Thanks.

Thanks, Frederick	[fjh@bbn.com]

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (04/20/91)

In article <63740@bbn.BBN.COM> fjh@bbn.com (Frederick J. Hirsch) writes:
>I am interested in learning about geographic databases, and would like to
>learn what is involved in building one. If someone can send me a reference
>or bibliography of references on how to actually create a geographic
>database I would appreciate it. I am familiar with general database issues,
>as discussed in Date's book.
>
>Are there any examples of geographic databases in actual use?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Thanks, Frederick	[fjh@bbn.com]

Geographic databases is a BIG subject!  The systems that handle them are often
called "Geographic Information Systems" (or GISs).  There is a bitnet list
server on the topic.  It is available on many Usenet feeds as:

     bit.listserv.gis-l

If you cannot subscribe to bit.listserv.gis-l on your system, then you can
get material by mail by sending a 1-line subscription message to:

     listserv@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu

and the 1-line message should be:

     subscribe gis-l Your Name

where 'Your Name' is your name, of course!

Here are some recent books on GIS, pulled from the on-line library catalog here
at Buffalo:

  Principles of geographical information systems for land resources assessment /
  P.A. Burrough. -- Oxford [Oxfordshire] ; New York : Clarendon Press, 1986.
  xiii, 193 p., [4] p. of col. plates : ill., maps ; 26 cm. -- (Monographs on
  soil and resources survey)
  Includes bibliographies and indexes.
  SUBJECT HEADINGS
     Land use--Data processing.
     Land use--Maps.
     Digital mapping.
  CALL NUMBER:  HD108.15 .B87 1986

  Geographic information systems : a management perspective / Stan Aronoff. --
  Ottawa : WDL Publications, c1989.
  xvi, 294 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
  Includes bibliographical references and index.
  SUBJECT HEADINGS
     Geography--Data processing.
     Information storage and retrieval systems--Geography.
  CALL NUMBER:  G70.2 .A67 1989

  Geographic information systems : an introduction / Jeffrey Star, John Estes.
  -- Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice Hall, c1990.
  xv, 303 p. [4] leaves of plates : ill. (some col. ) ; 24 cm.
  Bibliography: p. [283]-295.
  Includes index.
  SUBJECT HEADINGS
     Geography--Data processing.
  CALL NUMBER:  G70.2 .S73 1990

  Geographic information systems and cartographic modeling / C. Dana Tomlin. --
  Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice Hall, c1990.
  xviii, 249 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
  Includes bibliographical references and index.
  SUBJECT HEADINGS
     Geographic information systems.
     Cartography--Data processing.
  CALL NUMBER:  G70.2 .T64 1990

  Introductory readings in geographic information systems / edited by Donna J.
  Peuquet, Duane F. Marble. -- London ; New York : Taylor & Francis, 1990.
  x, 371 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
  Includes bibliographical references.
  SUBJECT HEADINGS
     Geographic information systems.
  CALL NUMBER:  G70.2 .I66 1990

David M. Mark
Professor of Geography
National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis
SUNY Buffalo, New York

dmark@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu