[comp.databases] Clipper 5.0 with PC-NFS Questions

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (04/13/91)

 Couple of quick questions maybe somebody out in netland can help me with.
 First a little background on the machines involved. A 386, Esix, WD8803E
 over to 386SX DOS 5.0 NFS 3.0.1.

 The problem is with Clipper 5.0 apps.

 1.) When clipper tries to reindex a file accross the network it creates
     hidden temp files (most likely with goofy filenames) and the database
     is corrupted. Is this a known bug? Any workaround?

 2.) I seem to have a 50 filename limit in PC-NFS. More than 50 filenames
     in one directory causes the net to hang. Workaround? Fixed in NFS
     3.5?

 3.) Rpcinfo reports version 1 of the file locking manger on port 100021.
     Shouldn't this be version 2?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver.uucp         |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              |

doug@psy.uwa.oz.au (Doug Robb) (04/23/91)

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:

> Couple of quick questions maybe somebody out in netland can help me with.
> First a little background on the machines involved. A 386, Esix, WD8803E
> over to 386SX DOS 5.0 NFS 3.0.1.

> 2.) I seem to have a 50 filename limit in PC-NFS. More than 50 filenames
>     in one directory causes the net to hang. Workaround? Fixed in NFS
>     3.5?

I too have found this annoying problem with pcnfs 3.0.1. Usually
however the net doesn't hang but refuses to write any more
files (create/access errors).  I don't use clipper so can't help
you with the other questions but another thing to try is to
mount the network disk application as a root directory and not
being a subdirectory.  ie
instead of
net use e: \\server\clipper\application  (or whatever you have)
try net use e: \\server\application

I have had problems withother software disappear by doing this.

doug@psy.uwa.oz.au