[comp.databases] Public domain Ingres

kgd@rlvd.UUCP (04/02/87)

This is an appeal for some information.

Has anybody ever ported (successfully or otherwise) the public domain
version (7.10) of ingres to either a Pyramid or Sun system?  I am, initially,
interested in simply establishing whether such a feat has been achieved,
and would appreciate some comment upon its status.

I would also like to know if anyboby has any information concerning
the viability of version 7.10 on 4.3bsd Unix (or the development of
a viable public domain version of ingres for 4.3bsd)?

Thankyou.

--
Keith Dancey,                                UUCP:   ..!mcvax!ukc!rlvd!kgd
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,

gallmeis@unc.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <257@rlvd.UUCP> kgd@rlvd.UUCP (Keith Dancey) writes:
>Has anybody ever ported (successfully or otherwise) the public domain
>version (7.10) of ingres to either a Pyramid or Sun system?
>interested in simply establishing whether such a feat has been achieved,
>and would appreciate some comment upon its status.

	I don't know about public domain Ingres;  I didn't know such
	existed.  However, I have ported Berkeley VAX Ingres onto a
	680X0 machine similar to the Sun (the Valid S32), successfully.
	So far as I know, it is currently in use there.  It being on
	the other side of the country, I don't have any way of telling
	which version it was that I ported.

>I would also like to know if anyboby has any information concerning
>the viability of version 7.10 on 4.3bsd Unix (or the development of
>a viable public domain version of ingres for 4.3bsd)?

	No idea.

	Is there really P.D. Ingres?  If so, how does it stand up to
	Berkeley Ingres?  To (ha-ha) RTI?
--

Bill O. Gallmeister		...mcnc!unc!gallmeis
"An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind."

gary@logico.UUCP (Gary Vrooman) (04/29/89)

Can anybody tell me what is the latest public domain version of Ingres
and where to get it?
Since I don't have FTP access, I will need to get a Sun cartridge tape
and am willing to pay an appropriate handling fee.
Also, does the public domain Ingres support SQL ?
I am aware of the Postgres project at Berkeley. Is there still work
continuing on the original Ingres ?
Anybody have the name of a point of contact at Berkeley ?

kung@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Chenho Kung) (04/20/91)

Is there public domain Ingres with EQUEL that runs on Sun SPARC, or
SUN 3? If so, where and how to get it?

Thanks.

Chenho

mer@cloud9 (Jeff Meredith) (04/24/91)

>Is there public domain Ingres with EQUEL that runs on Sun SPARC, or
>SUN 3? If so, where and how to get it?

You might try University Ingres available via anonymous ftp from
postgres.Berkeley.EDU  ...   I applied the included patch
and have had great success running it on a SPARC...

Place it at "~ingres/source" and do "patch -p0 < ingres.patch".

-------------------- patch ----------------------------

*** ctlmod/error.c.orig	Tue Feb  6 00:01:09 1990
--- ctlmod/error.c	Tue Feb  6 02:00:54 1990
***************
*** 31,41 ****
--- 31,53 ----
  */

  /*VARARGS2*/
+ #ifdef sparc
+ #include <varargs.h>
+ error(num, va_alist)
+ int     num;
+ va_dcl
+ #else
  error(num, msg)
  int	num;
  char	*msg;
+ #endif sparc
  {
+ #ifdef sparc
+         va_list         xp;
+ 	char            *x;
+ #else
  	register char	**x;
+ #endif sparc
  	pb_t		pb;
  	extern jmp_buf	CmReset;
  	typedef int	ftype();
***************
*** 60,68 ****
--- 72,87 ----
  	/* create an error context & set the message parameters */
  	initp();
  	setp(PV_INT, (char *) num, 0);
+ #ifdef sparc
+         va_start(xp);
+ 	while((x = va_arg(xp, char *)) != NULL)
+ 	        setp(PV_STR, x, 0);
+ 	va_end(xp);
+ #else
  	x = &msg;
  	while (*x != NULL)
  		setp(PV_STR, *x++, 0);
+ #endif sparc

  	/* send it to my caller */
  	pb_prime(&pb, PB_ERR);
***************
*** 89,106 ****
--- 108,143 ----
  */

  /*VARARGS2*/
+ #ifdef sparc
+ nferror(num, va_alist)
+ int     num;
+ va_dcl
+ #else
  nferror(num, msg)
  int	num;
  char	*msg;
+ #endif sparc
  {
+ #ifdef sparc
+         va_list         xp;
+ 	char            *x;
+ #else
  	register char	**p;
+ #endif sparc
  	pb_t		pb;
  	typedef int	ftype();

  	initp();
  	setp(PV_INT, (char *) num, 0);
+ #ifdef sparc
+         va_start(xp);
+ 	while((x = va_arg(xp, char *)) != NULL)
+ 	        setp(PV_STR, x, 0);
+ 	va_end(xp);
+ #else
  	for (p = &msg; *p != NULL; p++)
  		setp(PV_STR, *p, 0);
+ #endif sparc
  	pb_prime(&pb, PB_ERR);
  	call_setup(&pb, PB_NONE, (ftype *) NULL);
  	pb.pb_stat |= PB_INFO;
*** h/tree.h.orig	Tue Feb  6 21:00:45 1990
--- h/tree.h	Tue Feb  6 21:01:00 1990
***************
*** 138,144 ****
--- 138,148 ----
  **		the start to this structure and where the value field starts
  */

+ #ifdef sparc
+ #define SYMOFF  8
+ #else