[comp.databases] sql benchmarking environment

mis@Seiden.com (Mark Seiden) (04/19/91)

does anyone have already an ftp-able (uucp-able) implementation of
tpc-b, or some other sql benchmark, preferably for sybase?

my intentions are to start with tpc, add domain-specific transactions,
but start with a substrate that times TPS and cranks up and down
number of simultaneous users...

i have so far been unsuccessful in persuading sun or sybase to part with
their tpc-b implementation, though they seem very happy to quote numbers
in press releases and semi-technical quasi-marketing literature.

pity it isn't currently possible to replicate the benchmarks on other
configurations than they ran it on.  (or am i misstating the case?)

mark seiden, mis@seiden.com, 1-(203) 329 2722 (voice), 1-(203) 322 1566 (fax)

tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (04/21/91)

In article <3632@dagobah.UUCP> mis@Seiden.com (Mark Seiden) writes:

>i have so far been unsuccessful in persuading sun or sybase to part with
>their tpc-b implementation, though they seem very happy to quote numbers
>in press releases and semi-technical quasi-marketing literature.
>
>pity it isn't currently possible to replicate the benchmarks on other
>configurations than they ran it on.  (or am i misstating the case?)

A couple of inaccuracies: the TPC-B is a documented benchmark.  Anyone
is free to create the schema, emulate the workload on the desired
configuration and measure the results.

The whole idea of a fixed configuration is to control that variable in
order to make a meaningful comparison between products for a standard
workload.

The technology we use to emulate the workload is probably proprietary;
after all, it saves labor to know how to model accurately x00 terminals
firing transactions at a database.  How would it be in a vendor's interest
to tell everyone (ie competitors) how that's done?  Moreover, if a vendor
publishes an implementation, it incurs a support obligation.  That can
put it in the position of supporting the benchmarking efforts of those
with contrary interests, who may not exercise complete impartiality
before making performance claims about the product.  It is then very
difficult for the vendor to evaluate the measurer's methods.
(Mini-disclaimer: this statement is completely hypothetical, it does
not apply to any particular vendor or individual.)

The inflexibility you perceive is greater elsewhere in the industry;
there are companies that prevent, as a condition of the software licence,
those who run their own benchmark implementations from disclosing their
measurements.

There are two kinds of useful benchmark: 1) audited ones of a standard
workload on a constant configuration, used to comparison-shop among vendors
and produce a short list; 2) the prospective customer's workload, or a model
of it.  (2) is the more important, because it predicts better
how the DBMS will perform on one's application; this is the only
important question, ultimately.

-TW
---
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
WORK:tim@sybase.com     {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
PLAY:axolotl!tim@toad.com		       {sun,uunet}!hoptoad!axolotl!tim
Dis claim er dat claim, what's da difference?  I'm da one doin da talkin' hea.

gupta@cai.com (04/23/91)

In article <3632@dagobah.UUCP>, mis@Seiden.com (Mark Seiden) writes:
> [...]
> pity it isn't currently possible to replicate the benchmarks on other
> configurations than they ran it on.  (or am i misstating the case?)
>
> mark seiden, mis@seiden.com, 1-(203) 329 2722 (voice), 1-(203) 322 1566 (fax)

Mark,
    TPC benchmarks (TPC-A and TPC-B) require a full disclosure, including
sample source code of the driver, etc.  The benchmarks themselves are
specified in detail.  To get a copy of the benchmark definitions, contact

	Shanley Public Relations
	777 N. First Street, Suite 600
	San Jose, CA 95112-6311 USA
	Ph:  (408) 295-8894
	FAX  (408) 295-2613
	Email:  shanley@cup.portal.com

All vendors are required to publish full disclosure reports as part of
the agreement that allows them to claim TPC-A or TPC-B numbers.  You
should be able to get a copy of the same from Sybase.

Yogesh Gupta
Computer Associates

dhepner@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Dan Hepner) (04/23/91)

From: mis@Seiden.com (Mark Seiden)

>i have so far been unsuccessful in persuading sun or sybase to part with
>their tpc-b implementation, though they seem very happy to quote numbers
>in press releases and semi-technical quasi-marketing literature.
>
>pity it isn't currently possible to replicate the benchmarks on other
>configurations than they ran it on.  (or am i misstating the case?)

Released TPC-B numbers are required to be accompanied by a "full disclosure
statement".  All of the ones I've seen have included a source listing.
The TPC standard itself contains a sample 1/2 page of SQL statements
which implements:
  /*
  **  DoOne - Exceutes a single TPC BM transaction
  */
  void DoOne()
  {

It should be noted that the code is an example of what needs
to be done, not the benchmark itself.

You can expect however that any vendor who has released such numbers has
probably brought more resources to bear on tuning the test than you are
likely to, and it may be difficult to actually reproduce the number without
the assistance of the vendor.

Dan Hepner

dhepner@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Dan Hepner) (04/24/91)

From: tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood)

>A couple of inaccuracies: the TPC-B is a documented benchmark.  Anyone
>is free to create the schema, emulate the workload on the desired
>configuration and measure the results.
> [...]
>The technology we use to emulate the workload is probably proprietary;
>after all, it saves labor to know how to model accurately x00 terminals
>firing transactions at a database.

TPC-B does not require emulating terminals.

  How would it be in a vendor's interest
>to tell everyone (ie competitors) how that's done?

TPC-A, on the other hand, does.  It also requires disclosure as to
how this was done, so as to allow both competitors and customers
to judge whether or not the emulation was realistic.

 Moreover, if a vendor
>publishes an implementation, it incurs a support obligation.  That can
>put it in the position of supporting the benchmarking efforts of those
>with contrary interests, who may not exercise complete impartiality
>before making performance claims about the product.

TPC specifically bars publishing results without the cooperation of
all relevant vendors involved.  It was the direct intent of TPC however
to require that such results be reproducible (again, by either customers
or competitors) based on reading the full disclosure, although in reality
this goal may have proven elusive, in part due to the acceptability
of software not (yet) generally available.

Dan Hepner