[comp.databases] Response from DBMS Editor in Chief, Kevin Strehlo

mark@drd.com (Mark Lawrence) (04/24/91)

--begin included text
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 23:54 GMT
To: "mark@DRD.Com" <mark@DRD.Com>
Subject: Reply to a remark

We received the following comment via Internet on a story in our April issue:

  ...A point that some might find of significance in this benchmark is that
  the machine used was a dual CPU multiprocessor.  The operating system
  OS/2 does not support symmetric multi-processing.  The SCO UNIX does.
  Now the people at DBMS wonder why UNIX is faster...

Apparently the person who wrote that remark missed the following
part of the article (page 47):

  "SCO UNIX also has the advantage of symmetrical multiprocessing.
  LAN Manager 2.0's multiprocessing option allowed the LAN I/O
  and file system code to be dedicated to one processor while the
  rest of OS/2 and the database server ran on the other.  Santa
  Cruz Operation's MPX option for UNIX 3.2.2 was not nearly so
  lopsided.  While all IRQ handling would sit on processor 1
  because of a SystemPro quirk, all other processes would be
  assigned to the less busy of the SystemPro's two 33 MHz 486
  processors."

We don't mind criticism.  We just like it to be accurate.

Kevin Strehlo
DBMS Magazine
--end encluded text
--
mark@drd.com
mark@jnoc.go.jp  $B!J%^!<%/!&%i%l%s%9!K(B  Nihil novum sub solem

gupta@cai.com (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.152833.3214@drd.com>, mark@drd.com (Mark Lawrence) writes:
> --begin included text
> [...]
>
> We don't mind criticism.  We just like it to be accurate.
>
> Kevin Strehlo
> DBMS Magazine
> --end encluded text
> --
> mark@drd.com
> mark@jnoc.go.jp  $B!J%^!<%/!&%i%l%s%9!K(B  Nihil novum sub solem

The usefulness of a benchmark is that it points out a fact that may not
be otherwise obvious.  If we know beforehand that Operating system 1 (SCO
UNIX) provides symmetric multiprocessing while Operating system 2 (OS/2)
requires all database work and substantial OS work to be done by a single
CPU (except for LAN I/O and file system code), and a dual-cpu machine
is used for benchmarking, then the multi-user performance of the machine
running Operating system 1 (UNIX) is likely to be twice as fast as
Operating system 2 (OS/2).  I leave it to the net to decide whether an
elaborate benchmark is needed to prove this.

However, it would be extremely useful to know which operating system is
better on a single-cpu machine with 16MB of memory (if that is the maximum
that OS/2 can support).  This might give us insights into which operating
is actually better.  For example, what is the overhead of context switches?
What is the I/O performance under these operating systems?  What is the
overhead of inter-process communication?  Etc.

Benchmarking is very hard (I know).  It is very important that at its
conclusion one is very clear about what the benchmark has proven.  The
DBMS magazine article confirms that if I had a dual-CPU server I should
use SCO's MPX option for UNIX (an operating system that supports
symmetric multi-processing) as opposed to OS/2.  However, if I have a
single-CPU server, I could not draw the same conclusions.  Can you?

Regards,
Yogesh Gupta

Disclaimer:
   The opinions expressed in this article are mine and do not represent
   the opinions of anyone else.  If you agree with me ...