[comp.databases] dBASE IV and extended memory

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (04/24/91)

I've been asked privately about dBASE IV and extended memory, and if I'm
going to reply it must be posted to the net because I (not anyone else,
just me) have so far failed to spend the necessary time to make email
replies work.

dBASE IV 1.0 was supposed to take advantage of extended memory, but a
matter of weeks before it was to ship we discovered a killer bug in
the interaction with a popular DOS extender.  We couldn't quickly
figure out a way to detect this particular extender and avoid stepping
on it, so we disabled extended memory support.  I feel responsible about
this because I gave a speech the month before that and specifically said
that we would support it.

dBASE IV 1.1 does support both extended and expanded memory by virtue
of a third-party disk cache program called HyperDisk.  dBASE is loaded
by a driver which first loads the cache program and then loads dBASE.
We chose HyperDisk because of the wide range of other products that it
cooperates nicely with, and because it offers a significant performance
boost.  A general cache seems to be superior to adding code to the
dBASE product to detect and use secondary memory, but we're still
testing alternatives.

Anyway, the answer to Mr. Grossman's question is that 1.0 does not
take advantage of extended memory.  You can upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1
by calling (800) 2-ASHTON, and I would highly recommend it, obviously.
1.0 is not the bug-riddled product you read about, but 1.1 fixes
hundreds of little things that you may never run into and it also
uses less memory thanks to an innovative overlay manager.  And it
uses expanded/extended memory.

/alastair/

--
|Disclaimer: I am speaking for myself, not as a spokesman for Ashton-Tate,
|which does not monitor my outbursts here.  I reserve all rights to my
|opinions in terms of commercial endorsements.

jeffmc@dbase.A-T.COM (Jeff McCrimon) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.163132.10805@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
[much stuff deleted]

>Anyway, the answer to Mr. Grossman's question is that 1.0 does not
>take advantage of extended memory.  You can upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1
>by calling (800) 2-ASHTON, and I would highly recommend it, obviously.
>1.0 is not the bug-riddled product you read about, but 1.1 fixes
>hundreds of little things that you may never run into and it also
>uses less memory thanks to an innovative overlay manager.  And it
>uses expanded/extended memory.
>
>/alastair/

BTW, this update from dBASE IV 1.0 to version 1.1 is FREE of charge!
   =Jeffrey=

--
.signature is under development

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.134219.28156@dbase.A-T.COM> jeffmc@dbase.UUCP (Jeff McCrimon) writes:
>In article <1991Apr24.163132.10805@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>[much stuff deleted]
>>>
>>Anyway, the answer to Mr. Grossman's question is that 1.0 does not
>>take advantage of extended memory.  You can upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1
>>by calling (800) 2-ASHTON, and I would highly recommend it, obviously.
>>1.0 is not the bug-riddled product you read about, but 1.1 fixes
>>hundreds of little things that you may never run into and it also
>>uses less memory thanks to an innovative overlay manager.  And it
>>uses expanded/extended memory.
>>
>>/alastair/
>
>BTW, this update from dBASE IV 1.0 to version 1.1 is FREE of charge!

I have a suggestion for the marketing division at A-T that may help you
"regain the market share" (to steal a phrase from a previous posting) ...

Why don't you pay people, say $50 to "move to" (I don't want to use the
word "upgrade" here because I'm not sure it applies) version 1.1 and pay
people who don't own dBASE, say $500.? I think that is a fair price to pay
someone to take on a risk of that magnitude. Think about it ... they will
get the product, spend countless hours trying to navigate through the
poorly organized documentation, spend countless months trying to develop
applications only to discover that the number of bugs uncovered is simply
to great to represent using a 4-byte integer, and then, if that is not enough,
the poor souls will have to take on the aggravation (and humiliation) of
trying to sell their software over the net to someone even dumber than
themselves.

I think that a $500 gift for these poor unfortunates is a start in the
right direction!-)

Glenn

brian@enkil.UUCP (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr25.134219.28156@dbase.A-T.COM>, jeffmc@dbase.A-T.COM (Jeff McCrimon) writes:

> BTW, this update from dBASE IV 1.0 to version 1.1 is FREE of charge!
>    =Jeffrey=

So is a dBASE IV 1.0 evaluation copy also upgradable free of charge??  I
evaluated dB IV, didn't like what I saw, and haven't opened it for two years.
Perhaps (sic) I can be convinced by dB IV 1.1.  And no doubt, Fox would win
in open, fair competition.

Brian

--
Brian D. Ampolsk - Wynnewood *nix Associates - (215) 642-2250
				   1605 Brookhaven Rd.