[comp.databases] databases with graphics

ede879g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Robert D. Nicholson) (04/25/91)

I need some recommendations on a db product to support following spec.

I have a floor plan displayed on the screen and then i click in
a room on the floor plan and either a blow up or some text based
information coming up on the screen in a dialogue box has to occur.

It needs to support EGA or VGA and a normalized data model
I need a procedure langauge so that i can program (customise) the
thing to suit our own requirements.

Is this possible with current db products?
Otherwise I have to write the thing in C which isn't that hard but
its time consuming (i already have the mouse and buttons going)

Please understand i not just asking for a database that supports graphic types
I would prefer something that supports "button logic and mouse" for a very
easy to use and easy to program user interface.

kcc@yonkers.UUCP (Kevin C. Castner) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr25.032950.4172@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> ede879g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Robert D. Nicholson) writes:
>I need some recommendations on a db product to support following spec.
>
>I have a floor plan displayed on the screen and then i click in
>a room on the floor plan and either a blow up or some text based
>information coming up on the screen in a dialogue box has to occur.
>
>  [ ..... deleted text ..... ]
>
>Please understand i not just asking for a database that supports graphic types
>I would prefer something that supports "button logic and mouse" for a very
>easy to use and easy to program user interface.

Similar type things have been done using CAD/CAM packages such as
AutoCAD.  AutoCAD supports hiding information that is attached to a drawing
entity (called attributes) and the ability to display it at will.

AutoCAD also has the ability to interface to certain DBMS's to store
data.  What you describe is a common requirement in architectural and
civil engineering drawings.  I would suggest that you look at some of the
CAD/CAM packages.  They probably have what you require.

Kevin C. Castner                             572 North Broadway
JMDEL Systems                                White Plains, N.Y. 10603
Phone: (914) 948-3494                        E-mail: uunet!jmdel!yonkers!kcc