[comp.databases] Bugs in dBase IV 1.0?

octavio@maui.cs.ucla.edu (octavio suarez-munist) (04/23/91)

I have just inherited a dBase IV 1.0 installation. I worked with III+ for
many years but have not been in the field since IV came out.
I hear a lot of references about 1.0's problems/bugs/disasters but no
hard facts. The reason I got hired was because they were using 1.0 on
a Lantastic Network .DBF files got corrupted, even though it appears that it
was set up w/ DOS share, etc... Could this be a problem caused by 1.0?
What other problems does 1.0 have? Will I have problems going to 1.1?
Does A-T charge for the update or can we get it for free?
Thanx for the help,
Octavio.

awd@dbase.a-t.com (Alastair Dallas) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr23.153042.8510@cs.ucla.edu>, octavio@maui.cs.ucla.edu (octavio suarez-munist) writes:
> I have just inherited a dBase IV 1.0 installation. I worked with III+ for
> many years but have not been in the field since IV came out.
> I hear a lot of references about 1.0's problems/bugs/disasters but no
> hard facts.

dBASE IV 1.0 requires more memory than 1.1 (~50k) and is less well-behaved
when memory is short.  Memory is particularly short when LAN software is
loaded.  You should upgrade to 1.1 as quickly as possible.  Call (800) 2ASHTON;
it's free.

> The reason I got hired was because they were using 1.0 on
> a Lantastic Network .DBF files got corrupted, even though it appears that it
> was set up w/ DOS share, etc... Could this be a problem caused by 1.0?
> What other problems does 1.0 have?

.DBT files are more prone to corruption than .DBF files, but it is
possible that a low-memory bug bit you (I'd need more detail to know
for sure).  One of the main problems with 1.0 isn't a bug, it's that
you can't do a lot of commands from within a user-defined function.
This restriction is largely lifted in 1.1.

> Will I have problems going to 1.1?

Your .dbo files must be recompiled by 1.1, so you need your source files.
Other than that, it's a piece of cake.

Hope it helps.

/alastair/

--

cy@dbase.a-t.com (Cy Shuster) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr23.153042.8510@cs.ucla.edu>, octavio@maui.cs.ucla.edu (octavio suarez-munist) writes:
> I have just inherited a dBase IV 1.0 installation. I worked with III+ for
> many years but have not been in the field since IV came out.
> I hear a lot of references about 1.0's problems/bugs/disasters but no
> hard facts.
>
> The reason I got hired was because they were using 1.0 on
> a Lantastic Network .DBF files got corrupted, even though it appears that it
> was set up w/ DOS share, etc... Could this be a problem caused by 1.0?

You should also know that neither dBASE IV 1.0 nor 1.1 has been
certified to work with Lantastic. I just checked with the DOS
multiuser guys, and they said that 1.1 "seemed to work" with it,
but that is *not* the same as having passed the certification
suites. I would also check to see if you have the latest version
of Lantastic. Anyone else with this configuration?

--Cy--
cy@dbase.a-t.com