[comp.databases] Viruses and Database Systems

haraty@plains.NoDak.edu (Ramzi A. Haraty) (04/26/91)

Greetings,
        Does anybody know how to handle viruses in a database system?
In a database environment there would certainly be a lot of updates and
I was wondering how could one limit the infection of viruses into data
items. In other words, how do we guarantee that untrusted users or
processes won't infect our database with viruses?

P.S. I am talking at the system level here.

Thanks is advance

Ramzi Haraty
email: haraty@plains.nodak.edu

buckland@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) (05/01/91)

In article <10000@plains.NoDak.edu> haraty@plains.NoDak.edu (Ramzi A. Haraty) writes:
>In a database environment there would certainly be a lot of updates and
                                                             ^^^^^^^
>I was wondering how could one limit the infection of viruses into data
>items. In other words, how do we guarantee that untrusted users or
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>processes won't infect our database with viruses?

 Why are you allowing update access to untrusted users?

martin@adpplz.UUCP (Martin Golding) (05/02/91)

In <1991Apr30.185401.27165@unixg.ubc.ca> buckland@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) writes:

>In article <10000@plains.NoDak.edu> haraty@plains.NoDak.edu (Ramzi A. Haraty) writes:
>>I was wondering how could one limit the infection of viruses into data
>>items. In other words, how do we guarantee that untrusted users or

> Why are you allowing update access to untrusted users?

Why does that matter, since a virus MUST BE EXECUTED?

Martin Golding    | sync, sync, sync, sank ... sunk:
Dod #0236         |  He who steals my code steals trash.
A poor old decrepit Pick programmer. Sympathize at:
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin@adpplz.uucp