[comp.databases] comp.databases

dcc003@muvms1.bitnet (04/24/89)

In article <45@mdi386.UUCP>, bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
> The current dBASE4 is the logical extension of what happens when marketing
> controls the company, and not anyone else is considered.  dBASE4 is a good
> product IF:
> 1. dbase is intended to be a bad clone of Paradox.
> 2. you never intend to actually DO anything with it.
In the few short months that I have been using dBase IV, I have been able to
do more with it than the old dBase III+.  In fact, once someone releases a
decent compliler for it, I think some excellent applications will come out of
it.

> 4. You never saw dBASEIII or any of the clones.
I have seen III, as well as foxbase, so far my vote still goes with IV.

> But if you work for a big corporation, you will get dBASEIV, and put it on
> the shelf and continue to use dBASEIII or Clipper or Foxbase.
> I know these are rambling thoughts, but I get irrational every time I hear
> that dBASE IV is such a great improved product.

My only question for you is this, Have you even tried to use dBase IV?  I see
no sign of evidence in your RAMBLINGS to suggest that you have.  So far, IV is
an improvement over III.  I will admit to a few noticable bugs, (but can you
think of a product without them in the inital releases?)  but so far it hasn't
been a problem that couldn't be gotten around.

Ken

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (04/25/89)

In article <2132@muvms1.bitnet>, dcc003@muvms1.bitnet writes:
> In article <45@mdi386.UUCP>, bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
> > The current dBASE4 is the logical extension of what happens when marketing
> > controls the company, and not anyone else is considered.  dBASE4 is a good
> > product IF:
> > 1. dbase is intended to be a bad clone of Paradox.
> > 2. you never intend to actually DO anything with it.
> In the few short months that I have been using dBase IV, I have been able to
> do more with it than the old dBase III+.  In fact, once someone releases a
> decent compliler for it, I think some excellent applications will come out of
> it.
> > 4. You never saw dBASEIII or any of the clones.
> I have seen III, as well as foxbase, so far my vote still goes with IV.
>
> > But if you work for a big corporation, you will get dBASEIV, and put it on
> > the shelf and continue to use dBASEIII or Clipper or Foxbase.
> > I know these are rambling thoughts, but I get irrational every time I hear
> > that dBASE IV is such a great improved product.
>
> My only question for you is this, Have you even tried to use dBase IV?  I see
> no sign of evidence in your RAMBLINGS to suggest that you have.  So far, IV is
> an improvement over III.  I will admit to a few noticable bugs, (but can you
> think of a product without them in the inital releases?)  but so far it hasn't
> been a problem that couldn't be gotten around.
>
> Ken
I have worked with Vulcan, dBASEII, dBASEIII, dBASEIII+, developers release
AND dBASEIV.  I have also worked with Oracle, Unify, Informix and Progress.
I know the difference when it comes to building applications, which is how
I make my living.  For instance:  In a large 1.75MB source application, origi-
naly written in dBASEIII, the differences for execution of one main module
is as follows:
item	language	mach		time
1.	dBASEIII	10mhz286	3min15sec
2.	dBASEIII+	10mhz286	3min05sec
3.	FoxBase 1.0	10mhz286	2min07sec
4.	Clipper W87	10mhz286	0min57sec
5.	dBASEIV		10mhz286	5min27sec
6.	Clipper W87	4.7mhz88	2min45sec
This explains why I feel the way I do.  This code will be moved from the
current base of Novell LAN systems to Multi-User UNIX under Foxbase+.
By the way, we were unable to sucessfully run the application under dBASEIV
on the lan, because the file locking problems caused delays that made the
system unusable.  Clipper is our vehicle of choice for LANs and PC-DOS.  We
have NOT moved to the latest version of Clipper for our biggest systems becasue
of the problems with memory usage.  We used the NO-LINK software to avoid the
problem, but found the result not as fast as Foxbase, which in effect does
the same thing.
When Ashton Tate finally gets it right, it will be a good usable product,
but that time isn't yet.....
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce

mds@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Michael Siegel) (04/30/89)

> naly written in dBASEIII, the differences for execution of one main module
> is as follows:
> item	language	mach		time
> 1.	dBASEIII	10mhz286	3min15sec
> 2.	dBASEIII+	10mhz286	3min05sec
> 3.	FoxBase 1.0	10mhz286	2min07sec
> 4.	Clipper W87	10mhz286	0min57sec
> 5.	dBASEIV		10mhz286	5min27sec
> 6.	Clipper W87	4.7mhz88	2min45sec
> This explains why I feel the way I do.  This code will be moved from the
> current base of Novell LAN systems to Multi-User UNIX under Foxbase+.
> By the way, we were unable to sucessfully run the application under dBASEIV
> on the lan, because the file locking problems caused delays that made the
> system unusable.  Clipper is our vehicle of choice for LANs and PC-DOS.  We
> have NOT moved to the latest version of Clipper for our biggest systems becasue
> of the problems with memory usage.  We used the NO-LINK software to avoid the
> problem, but found the result not as fast as Foxbase, which in effect does
> the same thing.
> When Ashton Tate finally gets it right, it will be a good usable product,
> but that time isn't yet.....
> bruce
> --
> 	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
> 	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
> 	{wells|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce

Do you have any feeling about application development time for these
products. I have been developing systems in Paradox since it came out
in 1985. Before that I worked with the dbase products. I am very please
with the application development environment in Paradox. I think the
query optimizer and thus performance may be slow in some instances,
though probably not in comparison with dbase. Well just fishing for
a reason to believe there is a better product. If you feel like taking
the hook I would appreciate your comments.

---Michael (mds@bu-cs.bu.edu)

ede879g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Robert D. Nicholson) (05/02/91)

Has anybody had any experience with dbfast?

Its suppose to be a dbase programmers enviroment for windows.

I mean ms-windows.