[comp.databases] ACCELL problems

dan@hrc.uucp (Dan Troxel) (04/26/91)

[posted for a friend -- dan]

I'm running ACCELL 1.4 under Xenix 2.3.2 on an IBC [sic] 80486, and am having
problems creating a new application.  Upon entering the environment, I'm
greeted with the normal CURRENT APPLICATION screen.  I zoom from that to get
the LIST OF APPLICATIONS, press F7 to add, type in the name (zzzz) and
description, hit F9, and get the following messages: 'The name <zzzz> is
already registered with ACCELL/DBMS.  Cannot add application.'  It makes no
difference what name you type in for the application- it will always tell you
that the name is already registered.  From there, I can completely exit the
database, come back in, then type in 'zzzz' for an application name, and
instead of giving me the normal 'Application: zzzz not found' error, it will
actually bring up a LIST OF FORMS FOR CURRENT APPLICATION form, with nothing
in it- it's just blank.

So it's obvious that these 'attempted' application names are being stored in
the DBMS, and I've probably got a whole batch of them stuffed in there.  I
need to know how to get them out, and how to get the DBMS to quit giving me
this static so I can add a new application and get back to work.

I've only got eleven applications currently defined, and there is absolutely
no naming conflict- that is, I don't have another application named 'zzzz'.

I don't have any problems with the other databases on the system, but
can't find the discrepancy.  My initial thought was that a permissions problem
existed which would cause ACCELL to barf half-way through creating the
application, but this is not the case.  All I can figure is that unify.db is
corrupt.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (04/30/91)

As quoted from <1991Apr25.185015.1978@hrc.uucp> by dan@hrc.uucp (Dan Troxel):
+---------------
| existed which would cause ACCELL to barf half-way through creating the
| application, but this is not the case.  All I can figure is that unify.db is
| corrupt.
+---------------

Not unify.db, but aclenv.db.  Exit Accell, remove shared memory, remove
aclenv.db, and re-enter adev.  A new aclenv.db will be created.  Then you can
re-register your existing applications.

I've seen this happen when sequence numbers get out of step for some reason.
Deleting a lot of forms may exacerbate it.

Personally, I do my development from the shell instead....

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 10m,2m,220,440,1.2
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)

reg@Unify.Com (Russell Grau) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr25.185015.1978@hrc.uucp> dan@hrc.uucp (Dan Troxel) writes:

>[posted for a friend -- dan]
>
>I'm running ACCELL 1.4 under Xenix 2.3.2 on an IBC [sic] 80486, and am having
>problems creating a new application.  Upon entering the environment, I'm
>greeted with the normal CURRENT APPLICATION screen.  I zoom from that to get
>the LIST OF APPLICATIONS, press F7 to add, type in the name (zzzz) and
>description, hit F9, and get the following messages: 'The name <zzzz> is
>already registered with ACCELL/DBMS.  Cannot add application.'  It makes no
>difference what name you type in for the application- it will always tell you
>that the name is already registered.  From there, I can completely exit the
>database, come back in, then type in 'zzzz' for an application name, and
>instead of giving me the normal 'Application: zzzz not found' error, it will
>actually bring up a LIST OF FORMS FOR CURRENT APPLICATION form, with nothing
>in it- it's just blank.
>
>So it's obvious that these 'attempted' application names are being stored in
>the DBMS, and I've probably got a whole batch of them stuffed in there.  I

What is occuring here is a known bug.  It is fixed in later releases.  If you
will register a program/shell script that will execute your application, then
you will be okay.  It will mean that you will have to develop your application
at the shell level rather than the Development Environment level.  This saves
you a great deal of time.

The best solution for you would be to update your friends system.  Have him
call Unify at 1-800-248-6439.  The salesman at that phone number will give
you a hand.

>need to know how to get them out, and how to get the DBMS to quit giving me
>this static so I can add a new application and get back to work.
>
>I've only got eleven applications currently defined, and there is absolutely
>no naming conflict- that is, I don't have another application named 'zzzz'.
>
>I don't have any problems with the other databases on the system, but
>can't find the discrepancy.  My initial thought was that a permissions problem
>existed which would cause ACCELL to barf half-way through creating the
>application, but this is not the case.  All I can figure is that unify.db is
>corrupt.
>
>Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>

>--
>Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                 WK 1-602-957-8870
>Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600 Phoenix, AZ 85016
>ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!dan          zardoz!hrc!dan     hrc!dan@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

Best regards,
+****************************************************************************+
|   Russell Grau            (916) 928-6400                 reg@unify.com     |
| No man without his own consent can be overcome by Satan.  The tempter has  |
| no power to control the will or to force the soul to sin.  He may distress |
| but he cannot contaminate.  He can cause agony, but not defilement.        |
|      		      Ellen G. White - Great Controversy, p. 510             |
| Disclaimer - "I speak for myself, not my company"                          |
| {{ucdavis,csun,lll-crg}!csusac,pyramid,sequent}!unify!reg                  |
+****************************************************************************+
--
+****************************************************************************+

cookdl@stat.appstate.edu (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr25.185015.1978@hrc.uucp>, dan@hrc.uucp (Dan Troxel) writes:

> [posted for a friend -- dan]
>
> I'm running ACCELL 1.4 under Xenix 2.3.2 on an IBC [sic] 80486, and am having
> problems creating a new application.  Upon entering the environment, I'm
> greeted with the normal CURRENT APPLICATION screen.  I zoom from that to get
> the LIST OF APPLICATIONS, press F7 to add, type in the name (zzzz) and
> description, hit F9, and get the following messages: 'The name <zzzz> is
> already registered with ACCELL/DBMS.  Cannot add application.'  It makes no
> difference what name you type in for the application- it will always tell you
> that the name is already registered.  From there, I can completely exit the
> database, come back in, then type in 'zzzz' for an application name, and
> instead of giving me the normal 'Application: zzzz not found' error, it will
> actually bring up a LIST OF FORMS FOR CURRENT APPLICATION form, with nothing
> in it- it's just blank.
>
> So it's obvious that these 'attempted' application names are being stored in
> the DBMS, and I've probably got a whole batch of them stuffed in there.  I
> need to know how to get them out, and how to get the DBMS to quit giving me
> this static so I can add a new application and get back to work.
>
> I've only got eleven applications currently defined, and there is absolutely
> no naming conflict- that is, I don't have another application named 'zzzz'.
>
> I don't have any problems with the other databases on the system, but
> can't find the discrepancy.  My initial thought was that a permissions problem
> existed which would cause ACCELL to barf half-way through creating the
> application, but this is not the case.  All I can figure is that unify.db is
> corrupt.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>

> --
> Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
> Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016
> ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!dan          zardoz!hrc!dan      hrc!dan@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

This is a bug in Accell.  I ran into the same problem and called Unify's
hotline.  In my system this problem reoccurs every 10th application and I have
to do the following to fix it.

   cd $DBPATH
   mkdir tmp
   cd tmp
   DBPATH=$DBPATH/tmp
   export DBPATH
   ln ../unify.db file.db
   ln file.db file.dbr
   SQL
    sql> tables
         (look for a table name of mprec)
    sql> fields mprec
         (look for a field name of index and coreload)
    sql>
    sql> (now run the following script)

    sql> update mprec
         set index = 0
         where coreload = 'ACCELL'/

    exit sql program
    rm tmp directory
    reset DBPATH TO previous value

    You will probably have to run this about every 10th application.  I know i
do.

sk@Unify.Com (Sandeep Kundra) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr30.112215.762@stat.appstate.edu> cookdl@stat.appstate.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.185015.1978@hrc.uucp>, dan@hrc.uucp (Dan Troxel) writes:
>>
>> [posted for a friend -- dan]
>>
>> I'm running ACCELL 1.4 under Xenix 2.3.2 on an IBC [sic] 80486, and am having
>> problems creating a new application.  Upon entering the environment, I'm
>> greeted with the normal CURRENT APPLICATION screen.  I zoom from that to get
>> the LIST OF APPLICATIONS, press F7 to add, type in the name (zzzz) and
>> description, hit F9, and get the following messages: 'The name <zzzz> is
>> already registered with ACCELL/DBMS.  Cannot add application.'  It makes no
>> difference what name you type in for the application- it will always tell you
>> that the name is already registered.  From there, I can completely exit the
>> database, come back in, then type in 'zzzz' for an application name, and
>> instead of giving me the normal 'Application: zzzz not found' error, it will
>> actually bring up a LIST OF FORMS FOR CURRENT APPLICATION form, with nothing
>> in it- it's just blank.

Some information deleted.

>This is a bug in Accell.  I ran into the same problem and called Unify's
>hotline.  In my system this problem reoccurs every 10th application and I have
>to do the following to fix it.

workaround information deleted.

>    You will probably have to run this about every 10th application.  I know i
>do.

It should be clarified that this bug only existed in the particular release
which the original poster reported it.  It was fixed subsequently and the
workaround is no longer necessary (expect if you are still running the old
release).  If you are on the old release, a better solution would be to upgrade
to a newer version.

Regards,

--
Sandeep Kundra, Unify Corporation, 3901 Lenanne Dr, Sacramento, CA. 95834-1922
#include <standard.disclaimer>  |  This opinion .....               |