[comp.databases] DBASEIII+/Clipper'87 Xref program...

cearley_k@wizard.colorado.edu (05/04/91)

Hi! Does anyone know of a PD or Shareware program or awk script to
cross-reference DbaseIII+/Clipper'87 programs. Xref'ing procedure
calls mandatory, variables optional. Does such a thing exist (free)?
Where? (ftp address?)...

			-Thanks
			-Kent Cearley
			-University of Colorado, Boulder

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (05/04/91)

In <3MAY91.17240129@wizard.colorado.edu> cearley_k@wizard.colorado.edu writes:

>Hi! Does anyone know of a PD or Shareware program or awk script to
>cross-reference DbaseIII+/Clipper'87 programs. Xref'ing procedure
>calls mandatory, variables optional. Does such a thing exist (free)?
>Where? (ftp address?)...

SNAP is a very nice and complete ShareWare documenter/formatter/Xrefer
for Clipper, dBaseIII+, Fox, etc.  There should be a copy on Simtel.
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki
chip@oshcomm.osha.gov

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (05/05/91)

In article <3MAY91.17240129@wizard.colorado.edu> cearley_k@wizard.colorado.edu writes:

>Hi! Does anyone know of a PD or Shareware program or awk script to
>cross-reference DbaseIII+/Clipper'87 programs. Xref'ing procedure
>calls mandatory, variables optional. Does such a thing exist (free)?
>Where? (ftp address?)...
>
>			-Thanks
>			-Kent Cearley
>			-University of Colorado, Boulder

Kent,

Without a doubt the only program to use is SNAP, written by Walter Kennamer.

Optionally reindents all code, can force all keywords to CAPS or lowercase
for consistency, cross-references all variables, use of .DBF files, lists
which functions and procedures call which others and which ones they are
called by and can optionally add this information to a header preceding
each function and about a dozen or so other things including drawing a line
graphic tree of the application.

It is free, Walt doesn't even solicit donations.  The down side is that it
won't likely work properly with Clipper 5.0 since it would be unaware of
what to do when it came across a #include directive, couldn't tell the
difference between manifest constants and variables wouldn't know what a
codeblock was if it jumped out and bit it.

Walter is now senior management at Fox and while he isn't anti-Clipper the
odds on him spending significant time to add all the features Clipper has
that FoxPro doesn't seems low.

I would imagine SNAP is available on listserv@vm1.nodak.edu and the other
list servers, local BBS's or Compuserve.

tom leylan
(formerly of Nantucket Corp.)

dave@kharma (05/05/91)

cearley_k@wizard.colorado.edu writes:

> Hi! Does anyone know of a PD or Shareware program or awk script to
> cross-reference DbaseIII+/Clipper'87 programs. Xref'ing procedure
> calls mandatory, variables optional. Does such a thing exist (free)?
> Where? (ftp address?)...
>
> 			-Thanks
> 			-Kent Cearley
> 			-University of Colorado, Boulder

There is a perfectly delightful little PD documenter called SNAP. It works
like an absolute jewel, fast, efficient and effective. PLUS it even cleans up
the code for you while you sip coffee. Makes code lists look like you hired
two secretaries. |-)

If you can't find it, give me a call. I'll send it the fastest route to you.

isc-br!tau-ceti!dogear!kharma!dave [dave@kharma] Dave Laird, SysOp: kharma
    The Computer Concern,  Springdale, WA  258-7109 or 1-800-786-7109
  kharma: 509-233-8474 (Local from Spokane Area)  24hrs  1200-14400 (HST)