[comp.databases] Paradox3.0 'Query can't continue, out of disk space' prob

pazandak@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Paul Pazandak) (05/04/91)

I got this message on an AT or 286 with 640k, and 55k memleft.  The
machine is the server (too) on an Lantastic Net.

Anyway, I have 23 MB free, and the tables are about 3 MB each - although I trimmed one
down to 1MB and the other to 800k, and still the same problem!

I assume that RAM is actually the culprit????  Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

abreen@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Alex Breen) (05/04/91)

pazandak@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Paul Pazandak) writes:

>I got this message on an AT or 286 with 640k, and 55k memleft.  The
>machine is the server (too) on an Lantastic Net.

>Anyway, I have 23 MB free, and the tables are about 3 MB each - although I trimmed one
>down to 1MB and the other to 800k, and still the same problem!

>I assume that RAM is actually the culprit????  Any thoughts anyone?

>Thanks.

One of the biggest problems with Paradox 3.0 is how it handles memory.  I
struggled with this for months.  From your description, it appears that you
have enough hard disk space.  It is recomended that you have twice as much
free disk space as the size of your tables.  Question... is 55k memleft before
you do the table query?  If it is, you are probably running out of RAM.  I
came across this often.  I never was able to fix this problem, even after I
added addtional expanded memory to the computer.  However Paradox 3.5 is able
to use expanded memory and it works excellantly.

--

				Alexander Breen
				abreen@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Bill Yock) (05/07/91)

From article <1991May3.192909.25209@cs.umn.edu>, by pazandak@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Paul Pazandak):
> I got this message on an AT or 286 with 640k, and 55k memleft.  The
> machine is the server (too) on an Lantastic Net.
>
> Anyway, I have 23 MB free, and the tables are about 3 MB each - although I trimmed one
> down to 1MB and the other to 800k, and still the same problem!
>
> I assume that RAM is actually the culprit????  Any thoughts anyone?
>
> Thanks.

This is a symptom of a corrupted database.  Try running the Tutility program
that comes with Paradox to rebuild the tables.  As a general rule of thumb
you need to have 2 to 3 times as much free disk space as your largest table.
This increases however, if you are joining several large tables in a query.  On
a network double check where the private directory is pointing to.  You can
use the Tools Net Setprivate to check.  In some cases this may be pointing to
a logical disk drive on a network that does not have as much allocated disk
space as assumed.
--
Bill Yock, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242
byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu