[comp.databases] Market share for DOS database products

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (04/08/91)

Does anyone know the approximate market share breakdown for database
software in the MS-DOS realm?  What about for just dBase dialects?
Thanks.

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner          (401)863-7685          pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science   Box 1910
Brown University, Providence, RI 02912

Woody Allen when asked if he thought sex was dirty;
                                           `If you do it right.'

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (04/19/91)

In article <71280@brunix.UUCP>, pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:
> Does anyone know the approximate market share breakdown for database
> software in the MS-DOS realm?  What about for just dBase dialects?

This is very non-scientific; I'm quoting my recollection of press
accounts--if I knew corporate secrets, I couldn't tell you (well, I
could tell you, but I'd have to kill you :-):

	dBASE III+/IV:	47%
	Paradox:	19%
	Fox:		 6%
	Others:		18%

Clipper, WordTech, Oracle, etc. are lost in the noise--no one
competitor has more than 5% except those shown, as I remember.
The article I read noted that Paradox's growth and dBASE's decline
rates were significant--I remember when dBASE's share was in the
sixties.

These numbers surprise me because in the developer circles I
travel in, Fox and Clipper are much more popular than they seem
when you look at overall market share--it's true that techies
influence sales, but it's also true that techies are a very
small percentage of the marketplace.  You can't go wrong buying
the industry leader (IBM, Microsoft Word, Word Perfect, dBASE...)
and choosing something else involves an investment of time and
thought and some risk.

dBASE shook the marketplace in '89 when dBASE IV 1.0 got bad
press.  People assume that buying the market leader assures
stability and minimum risk; shake that faith and watch your
market share fall.  Compaq took off, if you remember, when
IBM had problems getting reliable hard disks for its new PC/AT.
Luckily for Ashton-Tate, our competitors didn't seem ready to
pounce.  I think people went to Borland desparate for stability.
Borland delivers that, but I've heard Paradox called a "toy"
for large applications.  If Ashton-Tate can convince the market
that we are stable again (and it's all perceptions, anyway),
I think our market share will climb again.  It's already stopped
eroding, but gaining share is known to be extremely difficult
in any market.

Long-winded response unsupported by facts.  Hope it helps, anyway.

/alastair/

--

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr18.230012.12838@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>In article <71280@brunix.UUCP>, pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:
>> Does anyone know the approximate market share breakdown for database
>> software in the MS-DOS realm?  What about for just dBase dialects?
>
>This is very non-scientific; I'm quoting my recollection of press
>accounts--if I knew corporate secrets, I couldn't tell you (well, I
>could tell you, but I'd have to kill you :-):
>
>	dBASE III+/IV:	47%
>	Paradox:	19%
>	Fox:		 6%
>	Others:		18%

[ stuff deleted ]

>dBASE shook the marketplace in '89 when dBASE IV 1.0 got bad
>press.  People assume that buying the market leader assures

Why don't you at least be honest when posting propaganda news like this to
the net ... dBASE didn't lose any market share because "it got bad press".
dBASE (1.0) was a buggy, shoddy product that was obviously rushed to market
too soon, and as a result of this, it received bad press.

>pounce.  I think people went to Borland desparate for stability.
>Borland delivers that, but I've heard Paradox called a "toy"
>for large applications.  If Ashton-Tate can convince the market
>that we are stable again (and it's all perceptions, anyway),

Perceptions? That's *all* it is?? And *what* causes these bad perceptions
anyway? People reading the (supposedly undeserving) bad press that you
have received? Why are you posting this bullshit to this newsgroup?
As for Paradox being a toy, I have developed Paradox applications which
consist of tens of thousands of lines of code, and I am very happy with
this product. It *is* stable, it *is* powerful and it *is* an excellent
value when considering price along with these other factors. Wish I could
say these things about your product.

>|Disclaimer: I am speaking for myself, not as a spokesman for Ashton-Tate,

I find this really hard to swallow. Do you own A-T stock or something? If
you have something to say about your product, why don't you say it without
attacking competitor products? Let your product (good or bad) speak for
itself. The really funny thing here is that you are busting on a product
that is a much superior product to your own (in my opinion), and you come
off looking like a real ass. Have you ever used Paradox?

Glenn

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr21.004144.16332@welch.jhu.edu>, glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:
> In article <1991Apr18.230012.12838@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
> >This is very non-scientific; I'm quoting my recollection of press
> >accounts--if I knew corporate secrets, I couldn't tell you (well, I
> >could tell you, but I'd have to kill you :-):
> >
> >	dBASE III+/IV:	47%
> >	Paradox:	19%
> >	Fox:		 6%
> >	Others:		18%

My understanding as of this week is that dBASE's market share stands at
55% based on an independent audit of some sort.

> >dBASE shook the marketplace in '89 when dBASE IV 1.0 got bad
> >press.  People assume that buying the market leader assures
>
> Why don't you at least be honest when posting propaganda news like this to
> the net ... dBASE didn't lose any market share because "it got bad press".
> dBASE (1.0) was a buggy, shoddy product that was obviously rushed to market
> too soon, and as a result of this, it received bad press.

dBASE lost market share precisely because of bad press (and perhaps bad
word of mouth).  You may be right that the product was rushed to market and
that this may have caused the bad press, but it was market perceptions that
affected the bottom line, not technical imperfections.

I'd like you to consider your claim that dBASE IV 1.0 was "obviously rushed
to market too soon."  What "facts" do you base that statement on, other than
printed reports?  I used 1.0 for real applications for almost a year before
switching to alpha 1.1.  Have you used 1.0 and did you discover any bugs,
or did you just "lose faith" based on what you heard?

> >...I've heard Paradox called a "toy"
> >for large applications.

Sorry to appear to be maligning the competition.  I've not spent much
time with Paradox since its 1.0 release.  I am quoting serious dBASE
users, members of the dBASE Language Advisory Board.  While they have
no inherent reason to stick with dBASE over better products, they have
a certain bias nonetheless.

> [Paradox] *is* stable, it *is* powerful and it *is* an excellent
> value when considering price along with these other factors. Wish I could
> say these things about your product.

Wish you had a single fact to mention.

> >|Disclaimer: I am speaking for myself, not as a spokesman for Ashton-Tate,
>
> I find this really hard to swallow. Do you own A-T stock or something? If
> you have something to say about your product, why don't you say it without
> attacking competitor products? Let your product (good or bad) speak for
> itself. The really funny thing here is that you are busting on a product
> that is a much superior product to your own (in my opinion), and you come
> off looking like a real ass. Have you ever used Paradox?

My title is Senior Software Designer for Ashton-Tate.  Only a couple of
levels up the org chart, I doubt that they've ever heard of usenet.  I am
not an officer of the company and therefore I can't say anything that
legally binds Ashton-Tate.  That's all I'm disclaiming.  Yes, I own lots
of Ashton-Tate stock, and I was also a lead programmer on dBASE IV 1.0.

Is this diatribe all because I made a comment about Paradox?  Why should
I "slip in" some propaganda when I can postnews a full-fledged flame about
any competitor?  I guess I've grown cynical, but I am convinced that
good products don't speak for themselves.  I've seen too much clever
marketing and I've seen good products die for lack of distribution
channels.  I won't mention any particular animals, but I think you
do yourself a disservice if you believe that Infoworld publishes only
"facts" and decides what to spread across the front page only on the
basis of what's "important."

I'm glad you like Paradox; thousands do.  Millions of people use dBASE.
I'm sure you have a ready explanation, but given this fact, are you
still sure that "superior products" speak for themselves?

/alastair/

--

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr25.205639.2079@dbase.A-T.COM>, awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:

|> dBASE lost market share precisely because of bad press (and perhaps bad
|> word of mouth).  You may be right that the product was rushed to market and
|> that this may have caused the bad press, but it was market perceptions that
|> affected the bottom line, not technical imperfections.
    	    	    	     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bull.  Are you guys so insecure about your products that you feel
threatened by the media?  If so, it's for good reason.  It sounds like
you think the media wants to write bad things about your products.
The media wrote bad things, because it was warranted.  Look at what
you said above about "You may be right that the product was rushed to
market".  Clearly this indicates that you agree that the product was
not ready.

I, like most every other Fox or Clipper developer, was once a dBase
person.  I wrote many applications in dBase III+, and at the time, I
felt that it was the best product to support.  But dBase started going
downhill with its multi-user version and has been sliding ever since.
I remember well pulling my hair out for days trying to solve a
problem, only to find out that AT had a newer version, available upon
request, that fixed a key bug!  AT didn't tell its customers, but if
you asked the right questions of tech support, you could get yourself
a better version of the software.  As more people experienced this
phenomenon and got outraged, AT finally shipped a free upgrade.  How
endearing!  You wonder why developers have flocked to other products?

Let's look at one of your competitors, Fox Software.  I currently use
their products, and I switched not because I was disenchanted by
dBase, but because when I first ran Foxbase I was blown away!  We
wanted more speed, I saw an ad that promised just that, and for a few
hundred dollars we figured we'd check out this compatible that we had
never heard about.  I subsequently became disenchanted with dBase,
because there was no comparison.  Foxbase was simply a far, far
superior product.

We had an enormous multi-user dBase III+ installation at one of the
largest banks in the country.  We converted the entire application to
Foxbase in a couple of hours.  Everything ran many times faster.  It
was astonishing.  Everything was much more reliable.  That's as it
should be.  And we added nodes whenever we wanted, at no extra cost.
Doesn't AT still charge several hundred dollars for *every* node on a
network?  Foxbase made our client very happy.  (As frosting there were
a number of extremely useful new features.  When did dBase finally
implement save and restore screen?  I don't think IV 1.0 even had this
feature, something I couldn't write an application without.)

Does Fox Software ship products with bugs?  Yes, all software
companies do.  But Fox always sends free upgrades to its customers.
They don't try to sweep things under the carpet to save a few bucks.
They realize that they will earn even more money by retaining the
respect of their customers.  Do people complain about Fox's bugs as
much as they complain about bugs of the same magnitude in dBase?  No,
not at all, because Fox Software has treated the community well, and
we're willing to cut them a break.  We have the utmost confidence in
Fox, but we can't say the same for AT.

I advocate Fox's software every chance I get.  I have absolutely no
relation with Fox Software whatsoever.  I just happen to have great
respect for the work they've done and the products they offer.

|> I'd like you to consider your claim that dBASE IV 1.0 was "obviously rushed
|> to market too soon."  What "facts" do you base that statement on, other than
|> printed reports?  I used 1.0 for real applications for almost a year before
|> switching to alpha 1.1.  Have you used 1.0 and did you discover any bugs,
|> or did you just "lose faith" based on what you heard?

This sounds like the lawyer on LA Law trying to make a good case: "But
you never actually SAW the man put the gun in your husband's mouth and
pull the trigger, right?  Didn't you say that you were groggy from the
blows..."

|> Sorry to appear to be maligning the competition.  I've not spent much
|> time with Paradox since its 1.0 release.  I am quoting serious dBASE
|> users, members of the dBASE Language Advisory Board.  While they have
|> no inherent reason to stick with dBASE over better products, they have
|> a certain bias nonetheless.
|>
|> > [Paradox] *is* stable, it *is* powerful and it *is* an excellent
|> > value when considering price along with these other factors. Wish I could
|> > say these things about your product.
|>
|> Wish you had a single fact to mention.

Of course Paradox is not a toy.  Borland is a big company with serious
intentions of competing with dBase.  They're not idiots over there.
They know exactly what they have to provide in their software to
compete.  If it were not comparably powerful database software, do you
think they would have won as many converts as they have?  Are all
these people idiots too?  Do the software reviewers give Paradox
consistently high marks, consistently much higher than dBase, because
there is some sort of conspiracy?  Man, you guys really are paranoid,
aren't you?

|> Is this diatribe all because I made a comment about Paradox?  Why should
|> I "slip in" some propaganda when I can postnews a full-fledged flame about
|> any competitor?  I guess I've grown cynical, but I am convinced that
|> good products don't speak for themselves.  I've seen too much clever
|> marketing and I've seen good products die for lack of distribution
|> channels.  I won't mention any particular animals, but I think you
|> do yourself a disservice if you believe that Infoworld publishes only
|> "facts" and decides what to spread across the front page only on the
|> basis of what's "important."

Huh?  You should be complaining about this, what with your inferior
products that still have 55% market share?  Distribution channels?!
Since when has this been a problem for AT?  On the other side, Fox
sells its products almost entirely on its reputation and word of
mouth.  I can't even go into Egghead and buy a copy of FoxPro off the
shelf, but there are plenty of AT products there.  You may be right that
"good products don't speak for themselves" - but GREAT ones do!  Your
in a very competitive industry, and good is not enough.

|> I'm glad you like Paradox; thousands do.  Millions of people use dBASE.
|> I'm sure you have a ready explanation, but given this fact, are you
|> still sure that "superior products" speak for themselves?
|>
|> /alastair/

Superior products speak for themselves to those who are qualified to
judge the differences.  The developer community is a good barometer.
I know lots of people who have switched from dBase to Fox, Clipper,
and Paradox.  I don't know of anyone that has switched from one of
these products to dBase, IV or otherwise.

You are very defensive about your products, and I can certainly
understand why.  However, to continue to argue that you've gotten bad
press and that you have superior products is just not going to turn
your image or your products around.  Unfortunately, I get the feeling
that you really believe the things that you state above.  If that is
true there is no hope that AT can truly turn dBase around and make it
a product that is respected in the community.

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner          (401)863-7685        pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science   Box 1910        pew@BROWNCS.BITNET
Brown University, Providence, RI 02912        uunet!brunix!pew

dlw@odi.com (Dan Weinreb) (04/28/91)

In article <73732@brunix.UUCP> pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:

   |> I'd like you to consider your claim that dBASE IV 1.0 was "obviously rushed
   |> to market too soon."  What "facts" do you base that statement on, other than
   |> printed reports?  I used 1.0 for real applications for almost a year before
   |> switching to alpha 1.1.  Have you used 1.0 and did you discover any bugs,
   |> or did you just "lose faith" based on what you heard?

   This sounds like the lawyer on LA Law trying to make a good case: "But
   you never actually SAW the man put the gun in your husband's mouth and
   pull the trigger, right?  Didn't you say that you were groggy from the
   blows..."

Excuse me.  I don't use any of the products under discussion and I
don't have any opinions or any stakes in the point under dispute.  But
I would like to point out that your reply to Mr. Dallas's question
isn't very convincing.  He asked a pretty straightforward question.
He wanted to know on what evidence you based your judgement.  Instead
of making any attempt to answer his question, you simply state that it
is so obvious that there is no need to answer.  Perhaps you have
enough information about the situation that it's obvious to you, but
it may not be so obvious to everyone else.

I presume you aren't really trying to persuade Mr. Dallas; I presume
you don't really think that you're going to change his opinion about
this.  You're really addressing the other people who read
comp.databases.  If you want to persuade them that your opinion is
more accurate than his, I think you'd be more effective if you
presented your evidence.

So did you use 1.1?  Did you discover any bugs?  If you didn't do it
first hand, you must have heard about it from somewhere else.  Was
that somewhere else the press, or something other than the press?  I
think these are fair questions, and I'd be interested to hear your
answers.

			     Do the software reviewers give Paradox
   consistently high marks, consistently much higher than dBase, because
   there is some sort of conspiracy?  Man, you guys really are paranoid,
   aren't you?

Similarly, stripped of the sarcastic tone, this is a fair question for
Mr. Dallas to address.  He said that "it was market perceptions that
affected the bottom line, not technical imperfections."  Now, the most
obvious cause of negative perceptions is negative reality, but that's
not necessarily the only cause.  So, the interesting question is if
there weren't significant technical imperfections, why did negative
market perceptions arise?

					       Distribution channels?!
   Since when has this been a problem for AT?

(He didn't say that it was.  He was speaking in general, about reasons
that software products can have problems other than technical
inferiority.  I don't think he meant to imply that Dbase itself has
this problem.)

   Superior products speak for themselves to those who are qualified to
   judge the differences.  The developer community is a good barometer.

So is it your position that the majority of product buyers (or 44%, or
whatever the market share is) are not qualified to judge the
difference?  If so, then I think you're actually agreeing with Mr.
Dallas's main point, which is that product success is not necessarily
determined solely by "technical superiority".  And at first it seemed
to me that you weren't agreeing about anything...

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (04/28/91)

In article <73732@brunix.UUCP> pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.205639.2079@dbase.A-T.COM>, awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>|>
>|> dBASE lost market share precisely because of bad press (and perhaps bad
>|> word of mouth).  You may be right that the product was rushed to market and
>|> that this may have caused the bad press, but it was market perceptions that
>|> affected the bottom line, not technical imperfections.
>    	    	    	     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Bull.  Are you guys so insecure about your products that you feel
>threatened by the media?  If so, it's for good reason.  It sounds like
>you think the media wants to write bad things about your products.
>The media wrote bad things, because it was warranted.  Look at what
>you said above about "You may be right that the product was rushed to
>market".  Clearly this indicates that you agree that the product was
>not ready.

I would just like to say that everything that Peter said in his posting
goes double for me, but at the same time I would like to apologize for
posting followups for nothing more than busting you guys out. I have heard
so many good things about FoxPro (especially with the 2.0 version) that I
am thinking about purchasing it and trying it out too.

You guys at A-T really should not try to use netnews as a means of
spreading dBASE related propaganda. Someone who works for A-T and owns
A-T stock posting second hand, negative comments about a competitors
product? That's just not cool. It's not news. I'm not sure how you are
interpreting the followup postings, but from my viewpoint, you guys are
really taking a beating! Maybe you can call for a vote on a new newsgroup -
comp.propaganda.bs.

Glenn
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.020220.225@odi.com>, dlw@odi.com (Dan Weinreb) writes:
|> In article <73732@brunix.UUCP> pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:
|>
|>    |> I'd like you to consider your claim that dBASE IV 1.0 was "obviously rushed
|>    |> to market too soon."  What "facts" do you base that statement on, other than
|>    |> printed reports?  I used 1.0 for real applications for almost a year before
|>    |> switching to alpha 1.1.  Have you used 1.0 and did you discover any bugs,
|>    |> or did you just "lose faith" based on what you heard?
|>
|>    This sounds like the lawyer on LA Law trying to make a good case: "But
|>    you never actually SAW the man put the gun in your husband's mouth and
|>    pull the trigger, right?  Didn't you say that you were groggy from the
|>    blows..."
|>
|> Excuse me.  I don't use any of the products under discussion and I
|> don't have any opinions or any stakes in the point under dispute.  But
|> I would like to point out that your reply to Mr. Dallas's question
|> isn't very convincing.  He asked a pretty straightforward question.
|> He wanted to know on what evidence you based your judgement.  Instead
|> of making any attempt to answer his question, you simply state that it
|> is so obvious that there is no need to answer.  Perhaps you have
|> enough information about the situation that it's obvious to you, but
|> it may not be so obvious to everyone else.

No I can't cite specific articles or experience.  But I've been
developing database software for seven years, and as I mentioned I
used to be a dBase man.  However, the industry passed AT by
(technologically), and it is *obvious* that they do not have a
competitive product.  I know many people in the industry, and I've
never heard a good thing said about dBase IV.  If it were a truly good
product that was worth my time and money, I would expect somebody to
speak well of it.  I have read that IV 1.1 is adequate now, however, I
have a product in FoxPro that is superb and keeps getting better.
Adequate is no competition.  I need to see something that tells me
that dBase is faster and better than FoxPro before I go to look at
dBase again.

|> I presume you aren't really trying to persuade Mr. Dallas; I presume
|> you don't really think that you're going to change his opinion about
|> this.  You're really addressing the other people who read
|> comp.databases.  If you want to persuade them that your opinion is
|> more accurate than his, I think you'd be more effective if you
|> presented your evidence.
|>
|> So did you use 1.1?  Did you discover any bugs?  If you didn't do it
|> first hand, you must have heard about it from somewhere else.  Was
|> that somewhere else the press, or something other than the press?  I
|> think these are fair questions, and I'd be interested to hear your
|> answers.

See above.

|> 			     Do the software reviewers give Paradox
|>    consistently high marks, consistently much higher than dBase, because
|>    there is some sort of conspiracy?  Man, you guys really are paranoid,
|>    aren't you?
|>
|> Similarly, stripped of the sarcastic tone, this is a fair question for
|> Mr. Dallas to address.  He said that "it was market perceptions that
|> affected the bottom line, not technical imperfections."  Now, the most
|> obvious cause of negative perceptions is negative reality, but that's
|> not necessarily the only cause.  So, the interesting question is if
|> there weren't significant technical imperfections, why did negative
|> market perceptions arise?
|>
|> 					       Distribution channels?!
|>    Since when has this been a problem for AT?
|>
|> (He didn't say that it was.  He was speaking in general, about reasons
|> that software products can have problems other than technical
|> inferiority.  I don't think he meant to imply that Dbase itself has
|> this problem.)
|>
|>    Superior products speak for themselves to those who are qualified to
|>    judge the differences.  The developer community is a good barometer.
|>
|> So is it your position that the majority of product buyers (or 44%, or
|> whatever the market share is) are not qualified to judge the
|> difference?  If so, then I think you're actually agreeing with Mr.
|> Dallas's main point, which is that product success is not necessarily
|> determined solely by "technical superiority".  And at first it seemed
|> to me that you weren't agreeing about anything...

The fact that AT still has 55% market share is evidence that the
majority of product buyers are not qualified to judge the difference.
But it is not the customer's fault.  It is sellers fault and the
distributors fault.  These people care about $, not promoting good
software technology.  dBase still has name recognition, and in a field
where many customers are intimidated by computers alone, there is
something reassuring about a product that you've heard about and that
you know many people have already used.  They are also big, and size
alone often generates sales.

Mr. Dallas should not be complaining about a product's success being
determined by "technical superiority".  I'm am certain that AT's
dominant market share would quickly dwindle if this were the case.
What evidence do I have?  The developer community's feedback.  In my
opinion, these are the qualified judges.

I would like to apoligize for the tone of my previous follow-up.  It
was definitely more caustic than it needed to be.  Yes, I was
disturbed by AT's gloating over its recent court victory.  However,
I agree that this forum should not be used for shooting petty barbs.

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner          (401)863-7685        pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science   Box 1910        pew@BROWNCS.BITNET
Brown University, Providence, RI 02912        uunet!brunix!pew

Woody Allen when asked if he thought sex was dirty;
                                           `If you do it right.'

awd@dbase.a-t.com (Alastair Dallas) (05/01/91)

Peter, let's make a deal.  I'll rebut your mail then you rebut mine and
we'll call this off.  You can have the last word.

In article <73732@brunix.UUCP>, pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:
> In article <1991Apr25.205639.2079@dbase.A-T.COM>, awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
> |> ...it was market perceptions that
> |> affected the bottom line, not technical imperfections.
>
> Bull...It sounds like
> you think the media wants to write bad things about your products.
> The media wrote bad things, because it was warranted.

The press does not write unwarranted attacks; the stories were based on
reports of problems with 1.0, which had more problems than most released
software.  However, the problems were few enough that the vast majority
of users might never have found them.  The press wants to sell papers,
and I believe that they hype up some stories (good and bad) to make
them seem more important and that this was a case of that.  My quoted
claim, above, is that the widespread perception of a buggy product
is a major factor on sales while the number of actual bugs in the product
is not.  It would certainly be bull if I were saying that 1.0 had no
bugs and that the press just made it up; but I'm not saying that.

> I remember well pulling my hair out for days trying to solve a
> problem, only to find out that AT had a newer version, available upon
> request, that fixed a key bug!  AT didn't tell its customers, but if
> you asked the right questions of tech support, you could get yourself
> a better version of the software.  As more people experienced this
> phenomenon and got outraged, AT finally shipped a free upgrade.  How
> endearing!  You wonder why developers have flocked to other products?

Let me guess: you don't sell your software in the marketplace.  I
can tell because a) you seem to think that shipping upgrades to
thousands of users is a trivial expense and b) you appear to believe
that other commercial software companies behave differently.  I know
for a fact that at least one of our competitors adopts this policy
when it suits them.  As for A-T, we are trying to be more
responsive.  We shipped something like 300,000 free upgrades to 1.1--
ignoring our cost of goods, that's probably half a million dollars
in postage.  In addition, our new president, David Proctor, announced
at 1.1's release that we will be shipping regular upgrades on a
timely basis (1.2 is due for beta soon and 1.3 is in early planning).
Isn't that "endearing," or can we do nothing right enough at this point?

> ...I subsequently became disenchanted with dBase,
> because there was no comparison.  Foxbase was simply a far, far
> superior product.

I could not get away with arguing like this.  I have a high opinion
of Microsoft C, for example, over our current compiler.  But if I
went to my boss and told him I had become disenchanted and wanted
him to buy a "far, far superior product," he would ask for facts.
I couldn't get away with, "boss, there's no comparison."

I deleted your comment to the effect that not only is Fox faster,
but it's more reliable, too, "as it should be."  Have you done _any_
analysis to prove this reliability?  Did you know that when dBASE
appends a blank record, we write the record and update the number
of records in the header.  Fox postpones updating the header in
order to run faster on benchmarks.  However, if a power failure
interrupts your session, your appended records will be lost with Fox.
In general, I would think that greater reliability would tend
to be slower, not faster, so I don't think your unsupported
findings are "as they should be" at all.

> Does Fox Software ship products with bugs?  Yes, all software
> companies do.

Ah, good, reality checks in.

> But Fox always sends free upgrades to its customers.
> They don't try to sweep things under the carpet to save a few bucks.
> They realize that they will earn even more money by retaining the
> respect of their customers.

You don't know what things they have successfully swept under the carpet,
and you don't know what upgrades they haven't sent.  In general,
however, Fox has excellent relations with its customers because
they have acted sensitively and professionally.  Ashton-Tate, on
the other hand, has earned much of the abuse we have gotten.  Fox
has concentrated on winning over developers and their customers
are very loyal.  We have a broader constituency and it is harder
to make everyone happy, but I admit we've made mistakes and we've
been insensitive.  I hope you'll give us a chance to improve your
opinion of us.

> I advocate Fox's software every chance I get.  I have absolutely no
> relation with Fox Software whatsoever.  I just happen to have great
> respect for the work they've done and the products they offer.

This mail thread has generated words like "bull" and "propaganda."
I find it interesting to talk about my work--this is shop talk for me.
I'm not trying to talk a soul into buying dBASE IV if they don't want
to, but I have to reply to anyone who says "Facts?  Don't waste
your time with facts; haven't you heard about dBASE?  It's awful."
Don't be ignorant; don't make technical decisions based on emotions
or worse yet on industry press written by non-technical reporters.

[My argument deleted]
> This sounds like the lawyer on LA Law trying to make a good case: "But
> you never actually SAW the man...

I have a low opinion of lawyers in general; I think we can do without
most of them as a society.  However, I'm flattered that you think I'm
being smoothly persuasive.  I'm not trying to lull you into accepting
my viewpoint, I'm asking you to gather facts with which to bolster
your opinions.  Contrary to appearances, your opinions don't stand
up on their own.

> Of course Paradox is not a toy.  Borland is a big company with serious
> intentions of competing with dBase.  They're not idiots over there.
> They know exactly what they have to provide in their software to
> compete.  If it were not comparably powerful database software, do you
> think they would have won as many converts as they have?  Are all
> these people idiots too?

Are you implying that Ashton-Tate is not a big company with serious
competitive intentions?  Are we idiots?  Paradox is a full-featured
product--"comparably powerful" describes it.  I have heard (second hand)
that it is optimized for fairly small (< 10000 records) tables and
that large tables are cumbersome or slow, whereas dBASE's (and Fox and
Clipper's) performance is more linear and the command set more
orthogonal.

I'm curious about your view of the software industry.  My view is that
companies are pretty much the same because the same players move from
place to place.  Many Ashton-Tate people now work at Borland; we just
hired an ex-Borland employee a few weeks ago.  You seem to think that
Fox walks on water and that the developers at Borland "know exactly
what they have to provide" but that at Ashton-Tate we're just waiting
for the life-support to be switched off.

> Do the software reviewers give Paradox
> consistently high marks, consistently much higher than dBase...

Data Based Advisor, May, 1991, our ad, page 4-5: Software Digest
Independent Comparative Ratings Report for Selecting IBM PC Business
Software.  dBASE IV 7.0 overall, no category under 5.0.  No other
product can say that.  Paradox got a particularly low mark in the
Performance category.  Software Digest is like Consumer Reports;
magazine reviewers are like Family Circle, in my opinion.
I wouldn't buy a refrigerator based on a
review in Family Circle.  But I digress: What specific reviews are
_you_ quoting, Peter?

> ...because there is some sort of conspiracy?  Man, you guys really
> are paranoid, aren't you?

Leave the other guys out of this, please.  This is just me and my
opinions.  I may be defensive (I worked on dBASE IV 1.0) but I don't
think I'm paranoid.

> Huh?  You should be complaining about this, what with your inferior
> products that still have 55% market share?  Distribution channels?!
> Since when has this been a problem for AT?

No, I'm not complaining--we own the channels, that's for sure.

> On the other side, Fox
> sells its products almost entirely on its reputation and word of
> mouth.  I can't even go into Egghead and buy a copy of FoxPro off the
> shelf, but there are plenty of AT products there.

If I weren't so busy fending off blows, I would agree with you that
Fox has earned an enviable position in the hearts and minds of its
customers.  (A feeling of trust and respect which time can only
diminish, in my opinion, but I'm being cynical again.)

> You may be right that
> "good products don't speak for themselves" - but GREAT ones do!  Your
> in a very competitive industry, and good is not enough.

That's my point; we agree.  Fox is great enough that they have
established a loyal following, and they have made this industry much
more competitive in the last few years (of course we helped by
releasing 1.0 :-).  Good is _not_ enough.  But wait until FoxPro 2.0
or 3.0 ships with too many bugs (e.g. Clipper 5.0).  Wait until
Fox sues someone over its proposed Rushmore patent.  Wait until
Ashton-Tate delivers what we're developing now.  The situation
can change.

> Superior products speak for themselves to those who are qualified to
> judge the differences.

What's this?  All animals are created equal except for the pigs who
are more equal than the others?  Are you really saying that stupid
people buy dBASE but smart ones don't and therefore dBASE is no good?

> The developer community is a good barometer.
> I know lots of people who have switched from dBase to Fox, Clipper,
> and Paradox.  I don't know of anyone that has switched from one of
> these products to dBase, IV or otherwise.

Yes, the developer community is a good barometer, but they're not
the only barometer.  The reason the previous management didn't
coddle developers is that they represent such a small fraction of
our market, like it or not.  Even though they are influential, we
still sell a lot of dBASEs to people who don't know any serious
dBASE developers.  As for your last assertion, you are ignoring
mail in this newsgroup from people who are using dBASE IV because
of its cross-platform compatibility, it's standardization and
it's bureaucratic acceptability.  I know people who've switched
back, but I also know a few with stars in their eyes, too.

> Unfortunately, I get the feeling
> that you really believe the things that you state above.  If that is
> true there is no hope that AT can truly turn dBase around and make it
> a product that is respected in the community.

Gosh, if only I could have convinced you that I didn't believe these
things, then we might have had a chance :-).

Have a good life, Peter.

/alastair/

--

In article <1991Apr28.041636.7696@welch.jhu.edu>, glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:
> You guys at A-T really should not try to use netnews as a means of
> spreading dBASE related propaganda.

Not "us guys," just me.

> Someone who works for A-T and owns
> A-T stock posting second hand, negative comments about a competitors
> product? That's just not cool.

Anyone can own A-T stock; I'm not hiding my affiliations.  I think if you
re-read my posting, you'll see that the discussion of Paradox came up
why Paradox's market share did not rise more quickly as ours fell.

I think that answering technical questions about dBASE is a good thing,
and that's why I'm here.  Answering business questions such as market
share is not as valuable to netland, but it's an interesting subject
to me.  Slamming competitors or spreading "dBASE related propaganda"
is not why I'm here, and I'd be the first to criticize someone for
doing it.  However, I find myself fruitlessly defending against some
fairly emotional attacks that are almost as inappropriate as propaganda
from the competitors in question.

> I'm not sure how you are
> interpreting the followup postings, but from my viewpoint, you guys are
> really taking a beating!

Oh, goody!

/alastair/
--

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr30.210621.12574@dbase.a-t.com>, awd@dbase.a-t.com (Alastair Dallas) writes:
|> Peter, let's make a deal.  I'll rebut your mail then you rebut mine and
|> we'll call this off.  You can have the last word.

Ok, I'm really done anyway.  I've smashed you enough and you have
responded with good arguments.  I'll just make a couple of brief
comments.  Don't hold back if you need to say anything.

|> The press does not write unwarranted attacks; the stories were based on
|> reports of problems with 1.0, which had more problems than most released
|> software.  However, the problems were few enough that the vast majority
|> of users might never have found them.

Still, you shouldn't ignore those people.  People don't want to think
that they might be the one that actually hits the bug.  As a
developer, stretching a piece of software to its limits, I know that I
would hit these bugs eventually.  Hitting a bug in your software is
one of THE most frustrating things in life.  I can't blame the press
for being critical.

|> Let me guess: you don't sell your software in the marketplace.  I
|> can tell because a) you seem to think that shipping upgrades to
|> thousands of users is a trivial expense and b) you appear to believe
|> that other commercial software companies behave differently.  I know
|> for a fact that at least one of our competitors adopts this policy
|> when it suits them.  As for A-T, we are trying to be more
|> responsive.  We shipped something like 300,000 free upgrades to 1.1--
|> ignoring our cost of goods, that's probably half a million dollars
|> in postage.  In addition, our new president, David Proctor, announced
|> at 1.1's release that we will be shipping regular upgrades on a
|> timely basis (1.2 is due for beta soon and 1.3 is in early planning).
|> Isn't that "endearing," or can we do nothing right enough at this
point?

No I don't sell software the way you do.  But I know it's a big
expense to ship upgrades.  However, I'm sure it's worth it to you in
the long run.  Tell your accountants to charge it to Good Will.  From
what you say above it's clear that AT's come around to this
realization.  This is a good policy, and I'm glad you've adopted it.
If AT continues to display such responsiveness, you may be able to win
back cynics such as myself.

|> > ...I subsequently became disenchanted with dBase,
|> > because there was no comparison.  Foxbase was simply a far, far
|> > superior product.
|>
|> I could not get away with arguing like this.  I have a high opinion
|> of Microsoft C, for example, over our current compiler.  But if I
|> went to my boss and told him I had become disenchanted and wanted
|> him to buy a "far, far superior product," he would ask for facts.
|> I couldn't get away with, "boss, there's no comparison."

You're right, I'm not giving facts.  I'm not going to dig up trade
magazines and stuff just to back me up.  Let me add IMHO to the above.
Also, I work with plenty of developers and they all agree, so it just
seems like general knowledge.

|> I deleted your comment to the effect that not only is Fox faster,
|> but it's more reliable, too, "as it should be."  Have you done _any_
|> analysis to prove this reliability?  Did you know that when dBASE
|> appends a blank record, we write the record and update the number
|> of records in the header.  Fox postpones updating the header in
|> order to run faster on benchmarks.  However, if a power failure
|> interrupts your session, your appended records will be lost with Fox.
|> In general, I would think that greater reliability would tend
|> to be slower, not faster, so I don't think your unsupported
|> findings are "as they should be" at all.

Okay, got me here.  I was talking reliability in terms of bugs causing
problems.  I have no idea about each program's mechanisms for
maintaining data integrity.

|> > Does Fox Software ship products with bugs?  Yes, all software
|> > companies do.
|>
|> Ah, good, reality checks in.
|>
|> > But Fox always sends free upgrades to its customers.
|> > They don't try to sweep things under the carpet to save a few bucks.
|> > They realize that they will earn even more money by retaining the
|> > respect of their customers.
|>
|> You don't know what things they have successfully swept under the carpet,
|> and you don't know what upgrades they haven't sent.  In general,
|> however, Fox has excellent relations with its customers because
|> they have acted sensitively and professionally.  Ashton-Tate, on
|> the other hand, has earned much of the abuse we have gotten.  Fox
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the reality that I see.  Now you guys have to work extra hard
to win us back.  Your products and service has to be A+ now, not just
A.

|> has concentrated on winning over developers and their customers
|> are very loyal.  We have a broader constituency and it is harder
|> to make everyone happy, but I admit we've made mistakes and we've
|> been insensitive.  I hope you'll give us a chance to improve your
|> opinion of us.

You have done much in your responses to improve my opinion of you.
However, I am a developer, I like being catered to, and it will be
very difficult to win me back with software that also must cater to
a broader constituency.  I think dBase has gotten too monstrous, 6
zillion disks in the box.  I would like to see a lean, mean, robust
developer's version and a soft, juicy non-developer's version.  I
think Foxbase/Pro and Alpha 4 work well together in this way (though
FoxPro itself has gotten a lot friendlier for the everyday user).

|> I'm curious about your view of the software industry.  My view is that
|> companies are pretty much the same because the same players move from
|> place to place.  Many Ashton-Tate people now work at Borland; we just
|> hired an ex-Borland employee a few weeks ago.  You seem to think that
|> Fox walks on water and that the developers at Borland "know exactly
|> what they have to provide" but that at Ashton-Tate we're just waiting
|> for the life-support to be switched off.

No, but at AT you are trying to service everyone with one huge product
(see above).  I just don't think it should be done that way.  You must
be at cross purposes at every development meeting.

|> > Do the software reviewers give Paradox
|> > consistently high marks, consistently much higher than dBase...
|>
|> Data Based Advisor, May, 1991, our ad, page 4-5: Software Digest
|> Independent Comparative Ratings Report for Selecting IBM PC Business
|> Software.  dBASE IV 7.0 overall, no category under 5.0.  No other
|> product can say that.  Paradox got a particularly low mark in the
|> Performance category.  Software Digest is like Consumer Reports;
|> magazine reviewers are like Family Circle, in my opinion.
|> I wouldn't buy a refrigerator based on a
|> review in Family Circle.  But I digress: What specific reviews are
|> _you_ quoting, Peter?

I must admit, I've been in school for the past year and haven't
followed things that closely.  Congratulations on the high marks.  I'm
going to have to go look at those tests...

|> That's my point; we agree.  Fox is great enough that they have
|> established a loyal following, and they have made this industry much
|> more competitive in the last few years (of course we helped by
|> releasing 1.0 :-).  Good is _not_ enough.  But wait until FoxPro 2.0
|> or 3.0 ships with too many bugs (e.g. Clipper 5.0).  Wait until
|> Fox sues someone over its proposed Rushmore patent.  Wait until
|> Ashton-Tate delivers what we're developing now.  The situation
|> can change.

Absolutely.

|> > Superior products speak for themselves to those who are qualified to
|> > judge the differences.
|>
|> What's this?  All animals are created equal except for the pigs who
|> are more equal than the others?  Are you really saying that stupid
|> people buy dBASE but smart ones don't and therefore dBASE is no good?

Nope.  But if I go into Egghead and ask for a powerful database, the
sales person is going to point me to dBase.  He probably doesn't know
much about it, but it's the known product.  He can feel fine
recommending it, and since I, the customer, will probably recognize the
name, the sale is that much easier.  If I'm not a database expert,
dBase IV will probably do what I want it to, and I'll be happy enough.

|> > The developer community is a good barometer.
|> > I know lots of people who have switched from dBase to Fox, Clipper,
|> > and Paradox.  I don't know of anyone that has switched from one of
|> > these products to dBase, IV or otherwise.
|>
|> Yes, the developer community is a good barometer, but they're not
|> the only barometer.  The reason the previous management didn't
|> coddle developers is that they represent such a small fraction of
|> our market, like it or not.  Even though they are influential, we
|> still sell a lot of dBASEs to people who don't know any serious
|> dBASE developers.

Yes, you do sell to these people, but I would bet that they would be
much happier with a product tailored for the non-developer, like Q & A
or Alpha 4.  Much of your sales (most?) are due to the fact that you
are the market leader.  Why are you the market leader?  Because you
were the first with a reasonably powerful database in the PC market.
However, today is a different story.  I think there are better
products available for the everyday user, and I think there are better
products available for the serious developer.  I will give you
cross-platform compatibility (see below), but that's a really small
niche!

|> As for your last assertion, you are ignoring
|> mail in this newsgroup from people who are using dBASE IV because
|> of its cross-platform compatibility, it's standardization and
|> it's bureaucratic acceptability.  I know people who've switched
|> back, but I also know a few with stars in their eyes, too.

I hate bureaucratic acceptability!  It sells a lot of inferior
products.  Buying dBase and IBM is a no brainer for most bureaucrats.
Nobody can fault Purchasing for making these decisions, buying the
market leaders.  You get a lot of humdrum products this way, however.

It sounds like you guys *are* turning things around at AT.  That's
great, it can only make for better software for all of us.  I am
cynical about your products, there's no doubt about it.  You cater to
your constituency, which mostly isn't me, and then say that your
product is right for me.  That probably won't ever be the case until
you develop a product that is targeted for me, not one that just keeps
me in mind.

I also think that the majority of your constituency would be better
off with another product.  I`ve seen plenty of people who are using
the dot prompt but not doing any development.  I think that's tragic!
This sort of person should have Q & A or other basic database program,
not dBase III (which management bought).  They could move up to dBase
IV and get menus, but they don't need all the other stuff packed in IV
which is geared for developers.  I'm sure this is not news to you,
it's a problem you've been working with for years.  You're first real
crack at it, dBase IV 1.0 didn't go so well.  I can't say much about
1.1, but I don't think the strategy is any different.  Let's see what
AT can do in the future.  I'm sure you'll still be around.

Okay, I'm done.

dave@kharma (05/03/91)

awd@dbase.a-t.com (Alastair Dallas) writes:

> In article <1991Apr28.041636.7696@welch.jhu.edu>, glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn
> > You guys at A-T really should not try to use netnews as a means of
> > spreading dBASE related propaganda.
>
> > Someone who works for A-T and owns
> > A-T stock posting second hand, negative comments about a competitors
> > product? That's just not cool.
>
> I think that answering technical questions about dBASE is a good thing,
> and that's why I'm here.  Answering business questions such as market
> share is not as valuable to netland, but it's an interesting subject
> to me.  Slamming competitors or spreading "dBASE related propaganda"
> is not why I'm here, and I'd be the first to criticize someone for
> doing it.  However, I find myself fruitlessly defending against some
> fairly emotional attacks that are almost as inappropriate as propaganda
> from the competitors in question.

I, for one, am delighted to see A-T represented in what I perceive to be a free
and open exchange of ideas and information. Were such an exchange not so
attractive, I would definately resist operating a BBS.

As to A-T, it works. <sigh> now if they would just come up with a razor sharp
.EXE compiler.... |-) Thanks for listening!

isc-br!tau-ceti!dogear!kharma!dave [dave@kharma] Dave Laird, SysOp: kharma
    The Computer Concern,  Springdale, WA  258-7109 or 1-800-786-7109
  kharma: 509-233-8474 (Local from Spokane Area)  24hrs  1200-14400 (HST)

dhepner@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Dan Hepner) (05/03/91)

From: glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason)

>You guys at A-T really should not try to use netnews as a means of
>spreading dBASE related propaganda. Someone who works for A-T and owns
>A-T stock posting second hand, negative comments about a competitors
>product? That's just not cool. It's not news.

Posting negative comments about the competition may not be cool,
but doing so to this forum is certainly subjecting the comment
to the most critical set of readers in the universe.  It's what
makes reading such forums interesting.

Dan Hepner

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (05/07/91)

In article <1991Apr30.224901.18001@dbase.a-t.com> awd@dbase.a-t.com (Alastair Dallas) writes:

>I think that answering technical questions about dBASE is a good thing,
>and that's why I'm here.

Agreed.  Please continue to do so.

>Answering business questions such as market
>share is not as valuable to netland, but it's an interesting subject
>to me.

OK, in moderation.

>Slamming competitors or spreading "dBASE related propaganda"
>is not why I'm here, and I'd be the first to criticize someone for
>doing it.  However, I find myself fruitlessly defending against some
>fairly emotional attacks that are almost as inappropriate as propaganda
>from the competitors in question.
>
>/alastair/

IMHO, Alastair, you've been doing more of the third item than the other
two lately, and the least of the first.  Yes, A-T has been attacked here
lately, but in defending those attacks, you can still be guilty of
"propaganda", perhaps without meaning to.  Sometimes tone makes all
the difference.

HEY EVERYBODY, lets keep the discussion level headed, clean, honest,
and knowledgeable.  (But let's keep up the dBase language discussions!)

--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

In article <1991May6.234504.24498@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu> landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) writes:
>In article <1991Apr30.224901.18001@dbase.a-t.com> awd@dbase.a-t.com (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>>
>HEY EVERYBODY, lets keep the discussion level headed, clean, honest,
>and knowledgeable.  (But let's keep up the dBase language discussions!)

Is it rude to follow-up to my own posting?  Anyway, I wanted to mention,
Thanks to Alastair Dallas for taking the time to do what he does.  While he
and others have been flaming back and forth recently, Alastair DOES provide
alot of GOOD info about dBase IV (even if it's a little biased :)

Please keep it up, Alastair (your refering a poster to Clipper was about
the most professional act I've ever seen on the net; very few people in the
business world have the courage to refer a potential customer to a competitor
when you can't deliver what he needs).

I only wish some people from Microsoft paid 1/4 as much attention to
comp.windows.ms as Alastair Dallas and Tom Leylan do to this group.
(I also wish I could do more dBase programming, and less Windows support).
Sigh....
--