[comp.databases] Wanted:Course Grades Database & Ingres

rgty_lds@waikato.ac.nz (05/08/91)

Topic: Help on packages to record course work grades in a University

We are re-evaluating the methods used by Academic/Faculity Staff to record
course work and the interface of the final grades onto the central records.

At present a number of systems are operating; PC spreadsheets, an aging
inhouse fortran based system, a prototype Ingres database system (as part of
the central VAX administrative system), various mini databases, WP documents,
and paper records. None of which are satisfactory and all will require extensive
analyst/programer input to develop into a system which will meet the conflicting
requirements of the users.

We have reviewed a few PC packages available in the South Pacific region and
have found some that can run on both MACs and IPM PCs. We have not found one
that can directly access data from an Ingres database but instead require the
Administrative DP section to regularily distribute floppies.

Any information on any packages avaliable would be appreciated.

Leigh Sherwen			INet: L.Sherwen@Waikato.ac.NZ
Administrative DP Manager	Ph:   64 71 384092
University of Waikato		Fax:  64 71 560135
New Zealand

tom@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Tom Carnduff) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.094537.3623@waikato.ac.nz> rgty_lds@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>Topic: Help on packages to record course work grades in a University
>
>We are re-evaluating the methods used by Academic/Faculity Staff to record
>
>  ......   stuff deleted   .......
>
>We have reviewed a few PC packages available in the South Pacific region and
>have found some that can run on both MACs and IPM PCs. We have not found one
>that can directly access data from an Ingres database but instead require the
>Administrative DP section to regularily distribute floppies.
>
>Any information on any packages avaliable would be appreciated.
>
>Leigh Sherwen			INet: L.Sherwen@Waikato.ac.NZ
>Administrative DP Manager	Ph:   64 71 384092
>University of Waikato		Fax:  64 71 560135
>New Zealand

Have you tried INGRES PC  and  INGRES/Smartlook for Macintosh?

Tom Carnduff
University of Wales College of Cardiff
UK
tom@uk.ac.cf.cm.v1