[comp.databases] info on large Oracle databases installations

bgh@ice9.uucp (barry hannigan) (05/04/91)

g'day eh?

 i would be interested in getting some information of experience in the
 installation, configuration and problems encountered in the implementation
 of a gigabyte size ( or thereabouts ) Oracle system.

 a potential client is looking into setting up a system for around 2000 users,
 running Sql*Forms, either connected directly into the host or over a network
 using some other machine as a client side.

 the machines, in my estimation, capable of coming anywhere near this level of
 performace would be top of the line Blue Boxes ( 3090's or their newer thangs)
 or a multi processor Vax 9000.

 in either case, would Sql*Net run over a hardware tomfoolery such as a
 backplane channel attach, or a box utilizing content addressable memory help.

 the actual size of the project is still under definition, but one cut shows a
 table containing 60 million records. sorry, no attribution information.

thanks in advance,
barry

--
~~~~~~~ ..walkin on the beaches, lookin at the peaches

beal@paladin.owego.ny.us (Alan Beal) (05/08/91)

bgh@ice9.uucp (barry hannigan) writes:

> i would be interested in getting some information of experience in the
> installation, configuration and problems encountered in the implementation
> of a gigabyte size ( or thereabouts ) Oracle system.

> a potential client is looking into setting up a system for around 2000 users,

> the machines, in my estimation, capable of coming anywhere near this level of
> performace would be top of the line Blue Boxes ( 3090's or their newer thangs)
> or a multi processor Vax 9000.

From what I understand there aren't too many Oracle systems running on top
of MVS.  If you hear of one, let me know.  If you hear of one that is
experiencing good performance, let me know.  The literature claims one
is only limited by the size of available storage; what is the biggest
Oracle database that anyone has heard of?

--
Alan Beal
Internet: beal@paladin.Owego.NY.US

sweiger@sequent.com (05/09/91)

In article <673662210.102616@paladin.owego.ny.us> beal@paladin.owego.ny.us (Alan Beal) writes:
>bgh@ice9.uucp (barry hannigan) writes:
>

>> i would be interested in getting some information of experience in the
>> installation, configuration and problems encountered in the implementation
>> of a gigabyte size ( or thereabouts ) Oracle system.
>
>> a potential client is looking into setting up a system for around 2000 users,
>
>> the machines, in my estimation, capable of coming anywhere near this level of
>> performace would be top of the line Blue Boxes ( 3090's or their newer thangs)
>> or a multi processor Vax 9000.
>
>From what I understand there aren't too many Oracle systems running on top
>of MVS.  If you hear of one, let me know.  If you hear of one that is
>experiencing good performance, let me know.  The literature claims one
>is only limited by the size of available storage; what is the biggest
>Oracle database that anyone has heard of?

The largest Oracle databases are running under Unix on Amdahl, Sequent,
and Pyramid machines.  Right at this very moment, the absolute largest Oracle
user is running on Sequent computers, in a client/server network fashion.
This user is largest in both the size of database (large number of Gigs),
and number of users (low thousands).

>--
>Alan Beal
>Internet: beal@paladin.Owego.NY.US
>USENET:   {uunet,uunet!bywater!scifi}!paladin!beal

--
Mark Sweiger			Sequent Computer Systems
Database Software Engineer	15450 SW Koll Parkway

pa1@tdatirv.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) (05/09/91)

bgh@ice9.uucp (barry hannigan) writes:

> i would be interested in getting some information of experience in the
> installation, configuration and problems encountered in the implementation
> of a gigabyte size ( or thereabouts ) Oracle system.

> a potential client is looking into setting up a system for around 2000 users,

> the machines, in my estimation, capable of coming anywhere near this level of
> performace would be top of the line Blue Boxes ( 3090's or their newer thangs)
> or a multi processor Vax 9000.

When starting to produce large databases with top performance, perhaps
it would benefit to look into the Teradata DBC/1012. The DBC (Data Base
Computer) is specifically designed as a database engine capable of
storing over 1 Terabyte of data, and its multiple processor architecture
produces fast response time. The DBC can interface to a variety of hosts
running a variety of Operating Systems either directly channel connected
or LAN connected. The DBC itself executes its own Teradata Operating
System. In addition, the DBC has fault tolerant capabilities, i.e. if a
disk, processor or other hardware component fails, the DBC remains
operational.

--
  |||   Pat Alvarado                |
   v    Teradata Corporation        | tdat!pa1@suntzu.sun.com