[comp.databases] Wanted: dBaseIV to EXE compiler

jglover@ducvax.auburn.edu (04/30/91)

I hope this is a reasonable place to ask this question, if
not, please excuse the interruption.

Does anyone know of/recommend/have a program to take a
dBase IV program and compile it to executable code?  Of
course, pd or shareware would be preferred, but feel free
to mention commercial products as well if they are worth it.

Mail or post your responses, I'm not very picky.

Thanks,
Jay

I cannot imagine mastering the skills involved here without
a clearer understanding of who is going to be impressed.
                                          - Calvin (& Hobbes)
Jay Glover                  | My opinions do not represent...
Academic Computing Services | ... blah, blah, blah, etc. etc.
Auburn University           |
JGLOVER@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU   |

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr29.231335.4051@ducvax.auburn.edu> jglover@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:

>Does anyone know of/recommend/have a program to take a
>dBase IV program and compile it to executable code?

Ashton-Tate has been promising this for quite some time now.  Until I see it,
I'll stick with Clipper and leave out the dbIV-only bells and whistles!

--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/03/91)

I believe Ashton-Tate would like such a product also!  What??!?  They're
working on one?  And it's almost finished?  Shipping in two weeks??!?

:-)

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

awd@dbase.a-t.com (Alastair Dallas) (05/07/91)

In article <1991Apr29.231335.4051@ducvax.auburn.edu>, jglover@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:
> Does anyone know of/recommend/have a program to take a
> dBase IV program and compile it to executable code?  Of
> course, pd or shareware would be preferred, but feel free
> to mention commercial products as well if they are worth it.
>
> Mail or post your responses, I'm not very picky.

A copy of Clipper Summer '87 (not 5.0, the latest) is probably the most
straightforward way to compile a dBASE application to .exe at this time.
There are several problems, particularly that Clipper is a dBASE III PLUS
compiler with some extensions to the language which are similar, but
not the same as, extensions made from dBASE III PLUS to dBASE IV.

I would be very surprised to hear of a pd or shareware program.

Ashton-Tate has announced a Professional Compiler which will do what
you want, but under the doctrine of "no software before its time,"
I think it will be a little while before this is released.  Also,
it doesn't sound as if you need to pay for a full-blown "professional"
tool.

Hope it helps.

/alastair/

--

awd@dbase.a-t.com (Alastair Dallas) (05/10/91)

In article <41962@cup.portal.com>, FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
> I believe Ashton-Tate would like such a product also!  What??!?  They're
> working on one?  And it's almost finished?  Shipping in two weeks??!?
>
> :-)
>
> Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

I understand the :-), but I don't want anyone to be confused.  Yes, we
are working on such a compiler, but we have not announced a ship date.
Going to beta test is usually an indicator that first customer ship is
at least six weeks away, and I imagine you'll hear in the press when
we take the compiler to beta.  "Almost finished" is a good description,
but I'm not being coy about the ship date--it's a ways off.  (Of course,
I don't work on the compiler so I'm not privvy.)

"No software before its time."

/alastair/