[comp.databases] Metaphore address ???

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (05/11/91)

Is Metaphore still in the database busness?

If so, does anyone have a pointer to them?

Ken Warner
warner@scubed.scubed.com

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/14/91)

In article <719@scubed.SCUBED.COM> warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:
> Is Metaphore still in the database busness?
> If so, does anyone have a pointer to them?

No trailing "e".  Metaphor Computer Systems, 1965 Charleston Road, Mt
View, CA.  They recently sold a fair portion of the company to IBM,
switched from 68000 hardware to using IBM hardware & Intel chips,
sold off about 1/3 of company (hardware, support, & advanced applicaitons),
and then formed Partiot Partners with IBM and a number of supporting cast
members like Borland.

The IBM version of the Metaphor system is called "IBM Data Interpratation
System", or IBM DIS for short.  They use PS/2's (55sx, 70, 80) as workstations,
PS/2 80s as file servers, token ring or ethernet for networking, PS/2 70s
for comm servers, database gateways, mail gateways, and printer servers,
and 3090 DB2, 43xx SQL/DS, AS/400 SQL/DS, OS/2 EE as the standard database
gateways.  There are third party gateways for VAX Rdb, Britton Lee,
ShareBase, and Teredata machines.

If you would like to know more details, please give me a call or E-mail.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john