[comp.databases] Superbase 4 Windows

ncs@srhqla.SR.COM (Sekar) (05/09/91)

	We obtained a demo version for Superbase-4-Windows from Precison Inc.
	(a U.K. based company with offices in Irving,TX)
	Supposedly dBaseIV compatible(?) but works with Microsoft Windows.
	Demo looks impressive.

	Does anyone have any info/opinion/comments on this product ?

	Thanks in advance.

- ns
N.Sekar, Manager - MIS                         uucp     : csun!srhqla!ncs
Cybernetic Data Products/Silent Radio          internet : ncs@srhqla.UUCP
Chatsworth, California

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (05/09/91)

>	We obtained a demo version for Superbase-4-Windows from Precison Inc.
>	(a U.K. based company with offices in Irving,TX)
>	Supposedly dBaseIV compatible(?) but works with Microsoft Windows.
>	Demo looks impressive.
>
>	Does anyone have any info/opinion/comments on this product ?

  I have Superbase2, which is the "low-end" relative to the
  developer's Superbase4.  I use windows almost exclusively, so (at
  least a year or so ago) my choice was limited.  While in some
  cases, the windows interface is nice and WYSIWYG, in many cases
  simple things (like a report generator with custom grouping) that you
  could normally do quickly and precisely in a DBMS like Informix,
  is tedious under the Superbase2 MMI.

  While Superbase is "compatible" with dbase, it's pretty limited.
  I don't have the manual handy, but the dbase "mirror" DB is pretty
  much read-only, and data is "filtered" to-from the Superbase DB.

  The dbase "mirror" is also slow (slower than the same data in
  a Superbase DB), especially on large DB's (like the dbase zipcode DB
  posted a while back).

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (05/10/91)

NS> We obtained a demo version for Superbase-4-Windows from Precison Inc.  (a
NS> U.K. based company with offices in Irving,TX).  Supposedly dBaseIV
NS> compatible(?) but works with Microsoft Windows. Demo looks impressive.

NS> Does anyone have any info/opinion/comments on this product?

Superbase is also available for the Amiga and that is the form I use it in.
My copy of Superbase4 for the Amiga should be coming in rather soon (I'm
upgrading from Superbase Pro 3 which was an upgrade from Superbase).  As you
can see, there are different levels to the Superbase product depending on what
you need.  Superbase, for instance, is the low-end version that is meant for
simple user querying of data whereas Superbase 4 is the high-end version that
also includes a forms package, report writer, database language, etc.  Each
version is a rather impressive system in a low-cost wrapper.

Dbase compatibility (as well as Lotus, etc.) should be Superbase4, but since I
use it on an Amiga, I really can't comment (its probably just compatible
files).  It may even have SQL compatibility (I think that's what they said
about the Windows version).  The only thing I've found that's difficult about
it is that it has a very different "look and feel" from the Unix database
systems I know, but that's just a difference in what I'm used to.

The other problem that Precision has had trouble with is hot and cold support
of the product.  It was ashame since it was such a powerful product.  This may
have been more towards their Amiga version and I believe that they are trying
to change this.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

tomr@dbase.a-t.com (Tom Rombouts) (05/14/91)

In article <1877@srhqla.SR.COM> ncs@srhqla.SR.COM (Sekar) writes:

>	We obtained a demo version for Superbase-4-Windows from Precison Inc.
>	(a U.K. based company with offices in Irving,TX)
>	Supposedly dBaseIV compatible(?) but works with Microsoft Windows.
>	Demo looks impressive.
>
>	Does anyone have any info/opinion/comments on this product ?

Superbase 4 is still the only real 4 GL available for MS-Windows,
although just about everyone else (including us) is working hard
on Windows versions of their DOS database products.

I would hardly call Superbase "dBASE IV compatible".  First, its
programming language is a variant of BASIC.  Secondly, it can view
or report on .DBF files directly, but they must be imported to
be modified.  Also, I see no mention of memo field (.DBT) support
in their import chapter.  On the other hand, if you have some
experience with BASIC, you may prefer this.

To me, its most notable features are the use of Windows-style
windowing and menuing, as well as some simple DDE support.
(Commands to create these have been added to their programming
language, if that is not obvious.)

One somewhat odd (to me, at least) quirk is its use of a VCR
metaphor from some of its menus.  That is, you can fast forward
or rewind through records via on-screen buttons that look like those
found on a VCR.

If Microsoft's alleged "Thunder" project ends up re-establishing
BASIC as a major development language, Superbase may become more
popular in the future.  Otherwise, I think dBASE-like products,
and possibly Paradox, will be more common, and thus, more standard,
under Windows, due to their large installed base in plain old DOS.

DISCLAIMER:  I have a vested interest in Ashton-Tate.  Also, the
above are my own opinions and do not represent or suggest any
sort of official statement or position by anyone about anything.

P.S. to original poster:  Can one get "Silent Radio" at home?

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

jensend1@yvax.byu.edu (05/15/91)

I haven't used Superbase 4 Windows or DBase IV, but I have used DBase III+,
Paradox, the Paradox Engine, and Superbase for the Atari ST.  Superbase is the easiest to use straight out of the box.  The VCR
you're doing, so the user never feels "abandoned" by an application - which is
important if you actually want someone to use your work.

When Tom Rombouts from Ashton-Tate posted in response to this question, he
mentioned some concerns about the Superbase language being a form of BASIC.  That's true.
However, I find my Superbase programs shorter and easier to read than my DBase
programs.  Both application languages are basically BASIC, with different
quirks.  I'd always rather use C!

Superbase's handling of the user interface is really slick.  It's quite easy to
program, and very intuitive to use.  It's definitely worth giving a try.

David A. Jensen
jensend1@byuvax.byu.edu