[comp.databases] Judge reverses ruling

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (04/24/91)

Judge Hatter reversed himself yesterday and ruled that Ashton-Tate's
copyright on dBASE is not invalid and that our suit against Fox can
therefore continue.  Our CEO, Bill Lyons (the guy who took over from
the guy who brought you dBASE IV 1.0 before its time and who sued
Fox in the first place) is quoted in the Wall Street Journal to
the effect that we should now settle with Fox and get on with competing
in the marketplace, not the courts.

In the particular mudville which Ashton-Tate occupies, there is joy.
Hope no one minds me using a little of the bandwidth to share it.

/alastair/

--

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.160831.9828@dbase.A-T.COM>, awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
|> Judge Hatter reversed himself yesterday and ruled that Ashton-Tate's
|> copyright on dBASE is not invalid and that our suit against Fox can
|> therefore continue.  Our CEO, Bill Lyons (the guy who took over from
|> the guy who brought you dBASE IV 1.0 before its time and who sued
|> Fox in the first place) is quoted in the Wall Street Journal to
|> the effect that we should now settle with Fox and get on with competing
|> in the marketplace, not the courts.
|>
|> In the particular mudville which Ashton-Tate occupies, there is joy.
|> Hope no one minds me using a little of the bandwidth to share it.
|>
|> /alastair/

Well, if you're going to gloat, I'll shoot back.

It would be nice if you guys just admitted that Fox's software is FAR
superior to yours, stopped marketing dBase, and endorsed Fox Software
as the new standard in the industry.  Granted, it would cost you guys
a little money, but it would make the world of database development a
better place :).

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner          (401)863-7685        pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science   Box 1910        pew@BROWNCS.BITNET
Brown University, Providence, RI 02912        uunet!brunix!pew

Woody Allen when asked if he thought sex was dirty;
                                           `If you do it right.'

ronin@ronin.sbi.com (Barry Wright) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.160831.9828@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>                     Our CEO, Bill Lyons (the guy who took over from
>the guy who brought you dBASE IV 1.0 before its time and who sued
>Fox in the first place) is quoted in the Wall Street Journal to
>the effect that we should now settle with Fox and get on with competing
>in the marketplace, not the courts.

What a refreshing change of business styles!  Good luck on the "competing in
the marketplace" part.  You'll need it.

B.Wright
ronin@ronin.sbi.com

mdb@abcom.ATT.COM (3030 ) (04/26/91)

From article <73539@brunix.UUCP>, by pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner):
> In article <1991Apr24.160831.9828@dbase.A-T.COM>, awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
> |> Judge Hatter reversed himself yesterday and ruled that Ashton-Tate's
> |> copyright on dBASE is not invalid and that our suit against Fox can
>
> It would be nice if you guys just admitted that Fox's software is FAR
> superior to yours, stopped marketing dBase, and endorsed Fox Software

I agree with Peter.  A-T much like IBM has for years over charged for a
product that was weak and slow.  When the competion started to heat up
A-T ran to the judicial system instead of the development labs.

When the leading mebers of the Xbase community tried to set standards
A-T refused to sit on the committe even though they were asked several
times to participate.  Consultants whom helped build them into the
company we know today were sued if part of their advertising included
Dbase compatibility.

A-T used to have a good product but like many in our industry, they
sat back and counted the money instead of paying attention to the
market.

Mike Barnes
Voice (415-224-3030)

alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.160831.9828@dbase.A-T.COM>, awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
> Judge Hatter reversed himself yesterday and ruled that Ashton-Tate's
> copyright on dBASE is not invalid and that our suit against Fox can
> therefore continue.  Our CEO, Bill Lyons (the guy who took over from
> the guy who brought you dBASE IV 1.0 before its time and who sued
> Fox in the first place) is quoted in the Wall Street Journal to
> the effect that we should now settle with Fox and get on with competing
> in the marketplace, not the courts.

Now I could be wrong, but I doubt you'll find many people willing to cheer
with you...

I find myself in a position of HAVING to convert a Fox application to
dBase IV because it needs to run on VMS. Thank <insert deity here> for
Step IVward, which takes care of the change in array syntax (when was the last
time you saw a high-level langauge compiler or interpreter change a primary
syntax rule ?).

It sure is a pain to try and come up with substitutes for things that just
aren't in dBase IV like filtered indices, ALL those SYS functions (only some
of which have similar equivalents), etc.

I have little sympathy for a company that deliberately releases a product that
doesn't have features that competing products have had for years. This suit,
from the beginning, seems like nothing but sour grapes.
--
< Alan H. Mintz  | alan@mq.com | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan >

evan@plxsun.uucp (Evan Bigall) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr24.160831.9828@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:

   In the particular mudville which Ashton-Tate occupies, there is joy.

And over the rest of the world developers are crying...

/Evan
--
Evan Bigall, Plexus Software, Santa Clara CA (408)982-4840
...!sun!plx!evan or evan%plx@sun.com

dave@kharma (05/17/91)

dscavo@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (David Scavo) writes:

> In <182@ahmcs.uucp> alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) writes:
>
> >I find myself in a position of HAVING to convert a Fox application to
> >dBase IV because it needs to run on VMS. Thank <insert deity here> for
>
> >It sure is a pain to try and come up with substitutes for things that just
> >aren't in dBase IV like filtered indices, ALL those SYS functions (only some
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I for one am no big AT supporter, but I do believe that DBase IV 1.1 does
> have filtered indices with the use of the FOR keyword in the INDEX statement.
> Maybe this will save you some work. :)
> Cheers.
> --

You are absolutely right. The FOR keyword in the MDX in DB IV is one of the
newer features that really make things nice, but the number & variety of
possible solutions you can devise are limited only by the users imagination.

isc-br!tau-ceti!dogear!kharma!dave [dave@kharma] Dave Laird, SysOp: kharma
    The Computer Concern,  Springdale, WA  258-7109 or 1-800-786-7109
  kharma: 509-233-8474 (Local from Spokane Area)  24hrs  1200-14400 (HST)