[comp.databases] Public Domain SQL Database System ?

markus@mwhh.hanse.de (Markus Witt) (05/01/91)

Hi there.

I'd like to know if there is a public domain SQL database system
(C source would be best) available and if so, where.

	Thanks for your help, Markus
|		     Markus Witt - markus@mwhh.hanse.de			      |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

toma@swsrv1.cirr.com (Tom Armistead) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May01.161739.474@mwhh.hanse.de> markus@mwhh.hanse.de (Markus Witt) writes:

>Hi there.
>
>I'd like to know if there is a public domain SQL database system
>(C source would be best) available and if so, where.
>
>	Thanks for your help, Markus
>--
>|		     Markus Witt - markus@mwhh.hanse.de			      |
>\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Me too, please...

Tom
--
Tom Armistead - Software Services - 2918 Dukeswood Dr. - Garland, Tx  75040
toma@swsrv1.cirr.com                {egsner,letni,ozdaltx,void}!swsrv1!toma

avram@dbaccess.com (Avram Friedman) (05/09/91)

in article <1991May01.161739.474@mwhh.hanse.de>, markus@mwhh.hanse.de (Markus Witt) says:

> I'd like to know if there is a public domain SQL database system
> (C source would be best) available and if so, where.

Is Not exactly SQL but pretty close ....
I sugest reviewing the book
Relational DataBase Management, A Systems Programming Approach
By M. Papazoglou & W. Valder
Prentice Hall 1989

Contains a lot of C code for a SQL like language called REQUIEM

Directions for obtaining machine readable copies are documented in the
front of the book. Its not truely public domain some fees and licence
agreements are envolved.

--
Avram Friedman                    INTERNET: avram@dbaccess.com
c/o DB/Access Inc.                UUCP: {uunet,mips}!troi!avram

jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen) (05/16/91)

In article <363@tardis.dbaccess.com> avram@dbaccess.com (Avram Friedman) writes:
>in article <1991May01.161739.474@mwhh.hanse.de>, markus@mwhh.hanse.de (Markus Witt) says:
>>
>> I'd like to know if there is a public domain SQL database system
>> (C source would be best) available and if so, where.
>>
>Not exactly SQL but pretty close ....  I suggest reviewing the book
>Relational DataBase Management, A Systems Programming Approach
>By M. Papazoglou & W. Valder (Prentice-Hall 1989)
>
>Contains a lot of C code for a SQL like language called REQUIEM
>
>Directions for obtaining machine readable copies are documented in the
>front of the book. Its not truely public domain some fees and licence
>agreements are envolved.

I spent some time on the phone last night (In Germany, this morning)
with the people from the Gerstell... fur Mathematik und Daterste...
Institut fur Tecknologie Transfern which is the source for the RQL
and Requiem source code.  The good news is that Requieum has in fact
been placed in the public domain completely.  There are NO license
fees for use of the code.  This is according to Frau Treschwig who
is now responsible for the product (Micheal Papazoglou has gone to
Australia to teach and Willy Valder is now working for a local
software company).  However, if you wish to order the source code
on media, the GMD/ITT is charging $90 for IBM or Mac versions and
$150 for Sun versions.  This is all of the code in the book including
the latest bug fixes but there is really no more in terms of code
enhancements.  To order the code, you need to write or fax to the
GMD/ITT addressed to Fr. Treschwig who will respond.  The address
is in the book.  I recommend anyone interested in the code to buy
the book first.  Without the book, the code is probably close to
useless.

Some comments on RQL (after having spent the past two evenings reading
the language description carefully).  It is not SQL, as noted above,
but it is in many ways a much better relational query language.  For
one thing, it is completely orthogonal (Chris Date would like this).
For instance, you can write:

  SELECT X,Y,Z FROM (PROJECT TBL OVER A,B,C,X,Y,Z WHERE ...) WHERE ...

Wherever a table name can go, a query expression can go.  There are
no limits on the use of aggregations in nested queries and views
(there is NO HAVING clause thank god).  As best as I can tell, you
could redrive the parser with ANSI SQL and could do almost anything
with the RQL functionality since it appears to be a superset of
ANSI SQL functions.  There are some differences and I don't
particularly like its way of doing interpretive execution during
the parsing phase (I would prefer the creation of an executable
meta-language for the entire query which is then executed with
an interpreter).  This may seem a nit, but it would avoid the
execution of some nested queries when further parsing would reveal
syntactical errors (at least this is what I believe it will do,
I may find out I am wrong on closer inspection).  On the whole,
however, Requiem appears to be a pretty good starting point.

Jon Rosen

u8acb@ohm.york.ac.uk (+Alex Barclay) (05/17/91)

In <24457@dice.la.locus.com> jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen) writes:

>and Requiem source code.  The good news is that Requieum has in fact
>been placed in the public domain completely.  There are NO license
>fees for use of the code.  This is according to Frau Treschwig who

You mention fees for media copies. Are there any anonymous ftp sites, or
PD servers that have the source available?

		Alex.
--
She stares at the screen, At the little words of green,
Tries to remember what to do next.