[comp.databases] Using a mouse with CLIPPER 5.0 ! Possible [ Y/N ] ?

parkere@ul.ie (05/05/91)

Hi,
	Can anyone tell me if it is possible to code, using C or Clipper
functions, routines for handling a mouse.  What I am trying to do is to
create a menu system which will allow the users to use either the keypad
or a mouse.

	Any help or source code on this would be much apprecited.

	Thanks in advance.

Ernie P.

Ernie Parker,
University of Limerick,
Rep. of Ireland.

EMail PARKERE@UL.IE

dave@kharma (05/07/91)

parkere@ul.ie writes:

> Hi,
> 	Can anyone tell me if it is possible to code, using C or Clipper
> functions, routines for handling a mouse.  What I am trying to do is to
> create a menu system which will allow the users to use either the keypad
> or a mouse.
>
> 	Any help or source code on this would be much apprecited.

Let me answer this one in a different way. Nearly every major manufacturer of
desk rodents sells the software under which the mousie becomes a Microsoft
compatible...They usually sell a mini-compiler that uses a Pascal-like
language with which the user can custom-design mouse menus, mouse actions, etc
to suit their need. Instead of hard coding the mouse instructions, why not do
like some of the Shareware authors do? Send the compiled and uncompiled code
to drive both a Genius, Logitech and a Microsoft Mouse. Let the user choose.
It might be easier that way, and you would be free of the obligation to mess
with it. Let me know what you think....

isc-br!tau-ceti!dogear!kharma!dave [dave@kharma] Dave Laird, SysOp: kharma
    The Computer Concern,  Springdale, WA  258-7109 or 1-800-786-7109
  kharma: 509-233-8474 (Local from Spokane Area)  24hrs  1200-14400 (HST)

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (05/09/91)

In article <Fi7J26w164w@kharma.UUCP> dave@kharma writes:
>parkere@ul.ie writes:
>
>> 	Can anyone tell me if it is possible to code, using C or Clipper
>> functions, routines for handling a mouse.  What I am trying to do is to
>> create a menu system which will allow the users to use either the keypad
>> or a mouse.
>>
>> 	Any help or source code on this would be much apprecited.
>>
>Let me answer this one in a different way. <etc...>
> Instead of hard coding the mouse instructions, why not <etc.>

I don't believe the difficulty is in deciding which assembler version to
include with his app., I think he's having trouble doing it.

These days the question "what version of Clipper" becomes important.  If it
is 5.01 (being received all over the place as we type) then you might want
to pick up a mouse library for Clipper.  One that comes to mind is
dbdMOUSE from DataBaseDesigns.  The author is Gary Gruber.  He is in
Bermuda Dunes, CA  and the phone number I have is (619) 345-6595.  I'm
not certain if this is his new number or not but the phone co. would know.

It is quite simple to write short C routines to monitor the mouse but what
you would prefer is transparent monitoring so that a person can use the
mouse or the cursor keys as they feel like it.

tom

kms@well.sf.ca.us (Kelly Stanonik) (05/18/91)

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) writes:

>to pick up a mouse library for Clipper.  One that comes to mind is
>dbdMOUSE from DataBaseDesigns.  The author is Gary Gruber.  He is in

I haven't used dbdMOUSE at all, but as the first respondee casually
mentioned, Funcky has a host of Mouse functions for Summer '87 and 5.0x
versions of Clipper.  On top of that it's got a TON of other stuff
that is very useful.  I have yet to meet or read someone who's purchased
Funcky and been disappoited with it.  The author (Dirk Lesko) can be
reached at (201) 435-8401 during business hours in New Jersey.

(I know YOU know this, but I had to throw the message somewhere. <g>)
--
* "My God, it's full of stars" -- overheard in a hamburger hamlet in west la.
* kms@well.sf.ca.us,  or bix: kms, or prodigy (yuck!) cgpd47a