[comp.databases] PC Magazine skipped Clipper...

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (05/11/91)

I was excited to see the cover of my latest PC Magazine which said,
Database Clout!  PC Labs tests 15 Relational Powerhouses.  But I was
disappointed to find that nowhere was Clipper mentioned.  I am interested
in rewriting a business application that is currently written in a 3GL
business language into a database application.  Clipper is currently
my platform of interest, and I had hoped to get some insight.

Anyone want to try to tell where Clipper would fall in the PC Mag ratings?

--
John Dudeck                                              "You can only push
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                             simplicity so far."

dave@kharma (05/12/91)

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

> I was excited to see the cover of my latest PC Magazine which said,
> Database Clout!  PC Labs tests 15 Relational Powerhouses.  But I was
> disappointed to find that nowhere was Clipper mentioned.  I am interested
> in rewriting a business application that is currently written in a 3GL
> business language into a database application.  Clipper is currently
> my platform of interest, and I had hoped to get some insight.
>
> Anyone want to try to tell where Clipper would fall in the PC Mag ratings?

Nowhere. They didn't succumb to the urge to purchase a megabucks full-page ad
this month.

isc-br!tau-ceti!dogear!kharma!dave [dave@kharma] Dave Laird, SysOp: kharma
    The Computer Concern,  Springdale, WA  258-7109 or 1-800-786-7109
  kharma: 509-233-8474 (Local from Spokane Area)  24hrs  1200-14400 (HST)

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (05/15/91)

In article <282b61ab.e65@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

>I was excited to see the cover of my latest PC Magazine which said,
>Database Clout!  PC Labs tests 15 Relational Powerhouses.  But I was
>disappointed to find that nowhere was Clipper mentioned.  I am interested
>in rewriting a business application that is currently written in a 3GL
>business language into a database application.  Clipper is currently
>my platform of interest, and I had hoped to get some insight.
>
>Anyone want to try to tell where Clipper would fall in the PC Mag ratings?

John,

Most of the Clipper programmers have learned to live with not seeing the
product in comparisons in InfoWorld, PC Week and I guess now PC Magazine.

Much of the problem (I believe) is generated by a lack of an interactive
mode which after reading the notes on the back of the box is where a typical
"reviewer" goes.  They aren't likely to know all the packages and if they
know dBASE maybe they run it through Clipper and base their review on that
failing to notice that minor modifications can improve things considerably.

The benefits of Clipper 5.0 include "computer language" improvements which
I don't see coming from A-T and Fox.  If one is designing an end-user product
one tosses in a mouseable front end and another dozen built-in functions if
one is improving a language one adds, lexical variable scoping, code-blocks
virtual memory management and encourages people to abandon error-prone
activities like the CLEAR ALL command and the use of PUBLIC and PRIVATE
variables.

These kinds of benefits aren't glamorous enough for a reviewer at a magazine
to consider.  You know they review PC-Tools one week and Borland C++ the next
and I'm certain (he says with tongue in cheek) that they equally expert in
both.

tom
(ex-Senior Systems Analyst / Nantucket Corporation)

maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.203455.7766@pegasus.com> tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) writes:
>The benefits of Clipper 5.0 include "computer language" improvements which
>I don't see coming from A-T and Fox.

I think this is the jist of the argument - one man's "language improvement"
is another man's worst nightmare. In the latest Data Based Advisor the
editor quotes Larry Humdinger, the illustrious leader or Nantucket, as
saying something to the effect that Clipper has "gone beyond (dBASE)". I
agree with his sentiments exactly, thought I believe he and I would differ
as to direction.

You have to ask yourself "what constitues a language improvement"? As I
(and the people who work for me) write and maintain more and more applications
we are less and less inclined to define it as being "technically excellent",
which seems to be Clippers only claim to fame these days. It surely isnt
in productivity, after writing in FoxPro, CLipper is no fun. Earlier
postings would indicate its not in bug-free code, so we'd better rule out
reliability. How about future directions? Ive been seriously worried
since I saw Brian Russell's very poor, very techie demo of the PM NFT
at the L.A. developers conference a couple of years ago.  Has anyone even
heard them pay lip service to Windows or servers? If I want object-orientation
I'll go to a real OO language. I guess where 5.x is concerned, I'll just
say no. In the meantime we'll take Fox up on their $195 upgrade to 2.0
and wait for Lesko et. al. to write for that environment.

Mark Aurit

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (05/17/91)

In article <24316@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit) writes:
>In article <1991May14.203455.7766@pegasus.com> tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) writes:
>>The benefits of Clipper 5.0 include "computer language" improvements which
>>I don't see coming from A-T and Fox.
>
>I think this is the jist of the argument - one man's "language improvement"
>is another man's worst nightmare. In the latest Data Based Advisor the
>editor quotes Larry Humdinger, the illustrious leader or Nantucket, as
>saying something to the effect that Clipper has "gone beyond (dBASE)". I
>agree with his sentiments exactly, thought I believe he and I would differ
>as to direction.
>
>You have to ask yourself "what constitues a language improvement"? As I
>(and the people who work for me) write and maintain more and more applications
>we are less and less inclined to define it as being "technically excellent",
>which seems to be Clippers only claim to fame these days. It surely isnt
>in productivity, after writing in FoxPro, CLipper is no fun. Earlier
>postings would indicate its not in bug-free code, so we'd better rule out
>reliability. <etc.>

Mark,

The man's name is Larry Heimendinger and he is the President and COO, he is
not the "illustrious leader or Nantucket".

As for language improvements, I didn't think it was totally up the users to
take a vote on things like that... I guess Northrop's latest jet designs are
worthless because I've flown ultra-lights and those Northrop planes have too
many lights and dials to be practical.

If Clipper isn't doing the job for you and FoxPro is then by all means switch
FoxPro doesn't do the job for me, so I use Clipper.  There is an appearance
of "were smart 'cause we use FoxPro and you're stupid because you don't" in
most FoxPro users' messages that I read.  I assure you that I'm as capable of
writing something in FoxPro as anyone on the planet but I choose not to.

As for productivity claims, I've heard all that nonsense before, if a person
understands their tools and plans accordingly they are productive, that goes
for any language and for any endeavor.  Clipper is the superior language,
FoxPro is the superior IDE, I don't use IDEs as a general rule.

tom

kms@well.sf.ca.us (Kelly Stanonik) (05/18/91)

maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) writes:

>In article <1991May14.203455.7766@pegasus.com> tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) writes:
>>The benefits of Clipper 5.0 include "computer language" improvements which
>>I don't see coming from A-T and Fox.

>You have to ask yourself "what constitues a language improvement"? As I
>(and the people who work for me) write and maintain more and more applications
>we are less and less inclined to define it as being "technically excellent",
>which seems to be Clippers only claim to fame these days. It surely isnt
>in productivity, after writing in FoxPro, CLipper is no fun. Earlier

Well, sure, you can put the command "Browse" in your foxpro code and it
pulls in Fox's dbf browse utility.  The low-end curve on development can
*initially* be less steep under FoxPro than Clipper, but I'd strongly
disagree with the notion that  FoxPro is somehow a totally more productive
environment.

Some of Clipper's recent language developments are real boons to
productivity.  The pre-processor is a godsend.  The variable scoping
makes it possible to write real black-box routines, and seems a lot
cleaner (although I don't necessarily agree that it's the end of
publics).  Codeblocks are useful and the more I use them the cooler
they get.  Anyhow, all of this allows you to write code that's a lot
more REUSUABLE than other dialects, and that means PRODUCTIVITY--maybe
not in the first week, but definitely in the long run.

>postings would indicate its not in bug-free code, so we'd better rule out
>reliability. How about future directions? Ive been seriously worried

Uh, name a language that is BUG FREE.  There isn't one.  5.01, from
most accounts is VERY solid.  5.0 wasn't--most folks weren't surprised
by that, and it isn't good, but 5.01 is hardly an unreliable development
platform (as you imply).

>since I saw Brian Russell's very poor, very techie demo of the PM NFT
>at the L.A. developers conference a couple of years ago.  Has anyone even
>heard them pay lip service to Windows or servers? If I want object-orientation
>I'll go to a real OO language. I guess where 5.x is concerned, I'll just

5.x is not an object oriented language, and Nantucket says this very
explicitely in the manual.  I would imagine that when they release
something they call an object oriented language it will be a "reall OO
language".

>say no. In the meantime we'll take Fox up on their $195 upgrade to 2.0
>and wait for Lesko et. al. to write for that environment.

If you're waiting for Funcky2.0 for Foxpro 2.0 you could be waiting a long
time.
--
* "My God, it's full of stars" -- overheard in a hamburger hamlet in west la.
* kms@well.sf.ca.us,  or bix: kms, or prodigy (yuck!) cgpd47a