[comp.databases] Ingres/Windows4GL

amandla@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jackie Saul) (05/15/91)

Has anyone got any experience of Ingres/Windows 4GL as I'm interested in
knowing its uses, advantages and disadvantages. Will it run on Macintoshes
running A/UX? Would I have to build separate applications/interfaces so that
users could access a database from Macs,X Windows etc.? (would it even be the
same version of software required?). What about cost?
If anyone has any information at all I'd be very grateful if you would mail me
or reply to comp.databases.

Thanks Jackie (amandla@dcs.qmw.ac.uk)

mcintoshc@ctl.co.nz (05/22/91)

In article <3085@redstar.cs.qmw.ac.uk>, amandla@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jackie Saul) writes:
> Has anyone got any experience of Ingres/Windows 4GL as I'm interested in
> knowing its uses, advantages and disadvantages. Will it run on Macintoshes
> running A/UX? Would I have to build separate applications/interfaces so that
> users could access a database from Macs,X Windows etc.? (would it even be the
> same version of software required?). What about cost?
> If anyone has any information at all I'd be very grateful if you would mail me
> or reply to comp.databases.
>
> Thanks Jackie (amandla@dcs.qmw.ac.uk)

I have done a little investigation into Windows/4GL and this is what I know ...

 . it works (or is scheduled for release) on all major windows systems
     OSF/Motif, DECwindows, OpenWindows, Presentation Manager, Windows/386 and
Mac
 . You will need seperate 'front-ends' if you wish to run the applciation on a
non-windows terminal but they will all connect to the same back-end server.

 . It is actually very reasonably priced (can't tell you sterling sorry !) - it
   is often the hardware that puts people off !!!

Good luck

From :   Colin McIntosh,  Project Manager      	 #        .=====. ========
     	 Computertime Ltd,  P.O. Box 6243	 #       /     /     /    /
	 Wellington, New Zealand		 #      /           /    /
Phone:   (04) 852 195				 #     /           /    /
Fax  :   (04) 828 288				 #    /     /     /    /
Internet:    MCINTOSHC@NZFC.CO.NZ  		 #    ======     /     ======

csb@gdwb.oz.au (Craig Bishop) (05/25/91)

amandla@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jackie Saul) writes:

>Has anyone got any experience of Ingres/Windows 4GL as I'm interested in
>knowing its uses, advantages and disadvantages. Will it run on Macintoshes
>running A/UX? Would I have to build separate applications/interfaces so that
>users could access a database from Macs,X Windows etc.? (would it even be the
>same version of software required?). What about cost?
>If anyone has any information at all I'd be very grateful if you would mail me
>or reply to comp.databases.

>Thanks Jackie (amandla@dcs.qmw.ac.uk)

A thorough analysis of this product should be made before
commitment.

As an example Ingres just released a upgrade, that upgrade
resulted in frames which were previously OK showing up mismatches
between widget sizes. (Documented in the upgrade.)

That was going from one version of MOTIF to another let alone
doing what Ingres claim the product will do, and that is allow GUI
independent development and operation.

For more on this subject mail me.

Disclaimer - these are my opinions, I do not speak for the
Geelong & District Water Board.
--
Craig Bishop			Geelong & District Water Board
Phone: +61 52 262506		61-67 Ryrie St Geelong