[comp.databases] Clipper '87 vs Clipper 5 & Clarion RTLINK

kwkyan01@uctvax.uct.ac.za (05/23/91)

Many seems to be complaining about Clipper 5.xx. I'll be doing a database
project and would like to know how does Clipper 5.xx compares with Clipper
Summer '87. Is the code a lot different ? Some books, eg 'Using Clipper, 2nd
Edition' by Edward Tiley, teaches Clipper 'up to Clipper 5.0'. Does this mean
that the codes are compatible ?

Recently, somebody mentionned the use of RTLINK with Clipper 5. I know that
Clarion Professional Developer uses the same linker. Does it give any
advantages over Nantucket's own linker. Can you use TLINK (the linker that
comes with Turbo C) as well ?

Can u reply by e-mail please ?

Thanks a lot !

Yann KWOK

kwkyan01@uctvax.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (05/26/91)

In article <200894.283b8035@uctvax.uct.ac.za> kwkyan01@uctvax.uct.ac.za writes:
>Many seems to be complaining about Clipper 5.xx. I'll be doing a database
>project and would like to know how does Clipper 5.xx compares with Clipper
>Summer '87. Is the code a lot different ? Some books, eg 'Using Clipper, 2nd
>Edition' by Edward Tiley, teaches Clipper 'up to Clipper 5.0'. Does this mean
>that the codes are compatible ?
>
>Recently, somebody mentionned the use of RTLINK with Clipper 5. I know that
>Clarion Professional Developer uses the same linker. Does it give any
>advantages over Nantucket's own linker. Can you use TLINK (the linker that
>comes with Turbo C) as well ?

Yann,

I believe there were only two complainers so I hope you don't let them
influence your decision.

For the most part your S'87 code will run unmodified in 5.01.  Depending
upon your particular coding style however a few changes may be necessary.

If you are looking for a book, Rick Spence has one called the Clipper
Programming Guide, 2nd Edition that covers most of it.  There have been a
few changes since the book was published but the concepts are there.

A version of .RTLink is included with Clipper.  I use QLINK (Microsoft's
Quick Linker) but for the final link either .RTLink, Blinker or Warplink
would be your best bet.  I believe TLink would work also but like QLINK
won't give you the dync overlay options.

I don't know if there is more than one Cape Town but if you're in the
So. Africa one, I spoke at the Clipper Developer's Conference in
Johannesburg in April this year.  I'm also giving the Evolving Clipper
Code to 5.0 session at the June Developer's conference in Palm Desert
California.

I've also written for Compass, Reference(Clipper), Aquarium, PC Database
Analyst, Nantucket News and Data Based Advisor... if anybody gives you
counter information ask them what their background with the product is.

best of luck

tom leylan
(ex-Senior Systems Analyst / Nantucket Corporation)