[comp.databases] ACCELL under SCO - prob saving screens

rpinder@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder) (05/25/91)

Unify Accell, v. 1.2.0.8.0, running on SCO 3.2 rel 2 on a NCR 486.

I have the following confusing problem.  When using the Development
environment, accessed from the accell script I am having a problem
saving a form that I created.  When logged in under my own account, I
get this error when trying to save (either F9 or esc-a-u), but when I
use another account just set up (using exact copies of my own
.profile and .kshrc files) I can save the form just fine.  Also
strange, if I (under my own account) use the adev command to enter
the development environment, I !can! save the thing.  The drawback of
continuing this workaround is that when using the environment via
adev, I get garbage 'residue' on the screen (after going to a
previous form) and also don't get any of the graphic drawing
characters (ie in drawing borders).

I suspected terminal settings as the problem at first, but think that any
problems I got via the accell script should have re-occured when using adev
directly.  The environments for each user account are _identical_, and the
problem occurs whether I'm on the console or a terminal.

Any ideas as to the solution would be greatly appreciated.

		Rich Pinder
		USC School of Medicine
		(213) 342-1640

		rpinder@usc.edu

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH) (05/26/91)

As quoted from <33138@usc> by rpinder@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder):
+---------------
| Unify Accell, v. 1.2.0.8.0, running on SCO 3.2 rel 2 on a NCR 486.
|
| I have the following confusing problem.  When using the Development
| environment, accessed from the accell script I am having a problem
| saving a form that I created.  When logged in under my own account, I
| get this error when trying to save (either F9 or esc-a-u), but when I
| use another account just set up (using exact copies of my own
| .profile and .kshrc files) I can save the form just fine.  Also
+---------------

Is the new account name shorter than your username?  I had a problem with
1.1 doing this, but 1.2 just doesn't start up (or dumps core immediately) now.
There appears to be a bug in AGEN where if things are bigger than it expects,
it gets extremely confused.

Possible solutions:

(1) if you're using a schema name, get rid of it and change your default
    schema.

(2) use shorter form names

(3) try making the termcap and/or unicap entries shorter

Basically, anything that reduces the amount of space AGEN needs.  I've used
all three with varying amounts of success (under 1.1.1.y.z, y.z = 4.3, 4.6,
and 5.6).

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			 KF8NH: DC to LIGHT!  [44.70.4.88]
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		 Delphi: ALLBERY

sk@Unify.Com (Sandeep Kundra) (05/26/91)

In article <33138@usc> rpinder@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder) writes:
>Unify Accell, v. 1.2.0.8.0, running on SCO 3.2 rel 2 on a NCR 486.
>
>I have the following confusing problem.  When using the Development
>environment, accessed from the accell script I am having a problem
>saving a form that I created.  When logged in under my own account, I
>get this error when trying to save (either F9 or esc-a-u), but when I
>use another account just set up (using exact copies of my own
>.profile and .kshrc files) I can save the form just fine.  Also
>strange, if I (under my own account) use the adev command to enter
>the development environment, I !can! save the thing.  The drawback of
>continuing this workaround is that when using the environment via
>adev, I get garbage 'residue' on the screen (after going to a
>previous form) and also don't get any of the graphic drawing
>characters (ie in drawing borders).
>
>I suspected terminal settings as the problem at first, but think that any
>problems I got via the accell script should have re-occured when using adev
>directly.  The environments for each user account are _identical_, and the
>problem occurs whether I'm on the console or a terminal.
>
>Any ideas as to the solution would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest checking the permissions of the directory where you are trying
to save the form to make sure that you can write into it.  Try touch'ing
a file to make sure.  Also check the accell startup script to see if it
is changing to some other directory where you do have write permissions.

The garbage residue/not getting trim/borders is due to the termcap being
used.  Try using a different termcap entry.  It would help to know what
you are using for a console/terminal, as well as any environment variables
you are setting when running Accell.  You should also try running the
AGEN directly from the shell to rule out any directory changes or
permissions.

Regards,

--
Sandeep Kundra, Unify Corporation, 3901 Lenanne Dr, Sacramento, CA. 95834-1922
#include <standard.disclaimer>  |  This opinion .....               |

mef@Unify.Com (Marvin Fenner (att)) (05/27/91)

In article <33138@usc> rpinder@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder) writes:
>Unify Accell, v. 1.2.0.8.0, running on SCO 3.2 rel 2 on a NCR 486.
>
>I have the following confusing problem.  When using the Development
>environment, accessed from the accell script I am having a problem
>saving a form that I created.  When logged in under my own account, I
>get this error when trying to save (either F9 or esc-a-u), but when I
>use another account just set up (using exact copies of my own
>.profile and .kshrc files) I can save the form just fine.  Also
>strange, if I (under my own account) use the adev command to enter
>the development environment, I !can! save the thing.  The drawback of
>continuing this workaround is that when using the environment via
>adev, I get garbage 'residue' on the screen (after going to a
>previous form) and also don't get any of the graphic drawing
>characters (ie in drawing borders).

Rich,

The reason you are seeing screen residue is that 'accell' and 'adev'
are not using the same logic for determinig which termcap to use. I
would guess that 'accell', by default, is using the termcap provided in
your release ($UNIFY/termcap), whereas 'adev' uses /etc/termcap.  Note
that 'accell' exports $TERMCAP, which is then picked up by 'adev' when
run via 'accell'. We have corrected this feature in later releases.
Perhaps the easiest fix for you is to explicitely set $TERMCAP to
$UNIFY/termcap.

Some thoughts about your other problem: 'accell' doesn't alter $ACLENV
(the path to your application files), but it does set $DBPATH. 'adev'
sets $ACLENV relative to $DBPATH (if $ACLENV is unset). Perhaps your
$DBPATH setting is different when running 'adev' vs. 'accell'. One
thing to try is to invoke the Development Environment from both 'adev'
and 'accell', push a shell (via the O.S. menu selection), and determine
whether or not you end up in the same directory.

Marvin E. Fenner   | My disclaimer is available for public viewing
Unify Corporation  | between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm PST, ...
Sacramento, CA 95834
mef@unify.Com