[comp.databases] Object-oriented databases

q1q20@turing.newcastle.ac.uk (A.C.G. Saunders) (06/29/89)

[This is from a friend who doesn't have access to news. I don't
read this group regularly so please respond by direct mail. If
anyone's interested, I'll summarise to the group. ]

I am looking at the application of the object oriented paradigm
to data exchange standards within the chemical and process
engineering industries. One aspect of this work requires the
implementation of a data model upon ,preferably, an object oriented
database.

Questions.. are there any existing  freebee  oodb's around
or  else is there anyone out there is has already written such a
beast in say either C++ or Smaltalk. Also any standard
references  pertaining  to  state  of  the art and development of
oodb's and lastly any hints/comments/insults.

Thanks,
Brian.

srm@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Mr.S.R.Monk) (01/09/91)

The Department is looking into buying an OODB to use in a number of projects.
We have so far only looked at Ontos. It would be nice to see some of the
other systems that are arround, but we have had difficulty in tracking down
vendors. We have heard that Orion is being marketted by a subsidiary of CDC.
Does anyone have the address of these people, or contacts for any other
OODB systems. If they do they would be gratefully received.

In return, I am happy to furnish any one who contacts me with my personal
and probably ill informed impressions of Ontos, under the strict understanding
that I have not had much to compare it with.

Simon Monk

mamou@bdblues.altair.fr (Jean Claude Mamou) (01/10/91)

In article <1149@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk>, srm@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Mr.S.R.Monk) writes:
|> The Department is looking into buying an OODB to use in a number of projects.
|> We have so far only looked at Ontos. It would be nice to see some of the
|> other systems that are arround, but we have had difficulty in tracking down
|> vendors. We have heard that Orion is being marketted by a subsidiary of CDC.
|> Does anyone have the address of these people, or contacts for any other
|> OODB systems. If they do they would be gratefully received.
|>
|> In return, I am happy to furnish any one who contacts me with my personal
|> and probably ill informed impressions of Ontos, under the strict understanding
|> that I have not had much to compare it with.
|>
|> Simon Monk

(Sorry for the previous message)

O2, an Object Oriented database System is currently being solded by Altair.

O2 consists of the following features:

o  A full multi-user database management system, including transaction
   management, concurrency control, fault recovery and a query
   language.

o  An object-oriented system, with the ability to define
   object classes with simple or multiple inheritance, late binding of
   method names, complex objects, multimedia objects, and object
   persistence (handled in a manner transparent to the programmer).

o  Support for the ANSI-standard C programming language with
   extensions to handle the O2 data types.

o  A graphic user interface called O2Look, based on the Motif
   standard, to provide a friendly and productive environment for both
   the end user and the programmer.

o  A complete programming environment named O2Tools, including
   a database and schema browser/editor, an application manager, an
   object-oriented debugger, journaling facilities, and a graphic
   interface to the query language.  There is also a toolkit of
   predefined classes and objects which the programmer may use (or
   redefine) to facilitate and standardize data capture tasks.

o  A capability to use O2 from programming languages. The first target
   languages  are C and C++, after these we think of Fortran and ADA.

o  It works on Sun3, Sun4 and HP 9000.

For further information, please contact Sophie Gamerman, Applications
and Support Manager, in any of the following ways:

By mail:                        By phone:
Altair                          +33 (1) 39 63 54 17
Domaine de Voluceau, B P 105
78153 Le Chenay Cedex           By fax:
France                          +33 (1) 39 63 58 90

By E-Mail:
sophie@bdblues.altair.fr

ballou@databs.enet.dec.com (01/16/91)

writes:
|> The Department is looking into buying an OODB to use in a number of
projects.
|> We have so far only looked at Ontos. It would be nice to see some of the
|> other systems that are arround, but we have had difficulty in tracking down
|> vendors. We have heard that Orion is being marketted by a subsidiary of CDC.
|> Does anyone have the address of these people, or contacts for any other
|> OODB systems. If they do they would be gratefully received.
|>
|> In return, I am happy to furnish any one who contacts me with my personal
|> and probably ill informed impressions of Ontos, under the strict
understanding
|> that I have not had much to compare it with.
|>
|> Simon Monk

Another vendor:   Objectivity, Inc.
                             800 El Camino Real
                             Menlo Park, CA  94025
                             (415) 688-8000

Nat

heinz@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Alois Heinz) (01/18/91)

ballou@databs.enet.dec.com writes:

>In article <1149@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk>, srm@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Mr.S.R.Monk)
>writes:
>|> The Department is looking into buying an OODB to use in a number of
>projects.
>|> We have so far only looked at Ontos. It would be nice to see some of the
>|> other systems that are arround, but we have had difficulty in tracking down
>|> vendors. We have heard that Orion is being marketted by a subsidiary of CDC.
>|> Does anyone have the address of these people, or contacts for any other
>|> OODB systems. If they do they would be gratefully received.
>|>
>|> In return, I am happy to furnish any one who contacts me with my personal
>|> and probably ill informed impressions of Ontos, under the strict
>understanding
>|> that I have not had much to compare it with.
>|>
>|> Simon Monk

>Another vendor:   Objectivity, Inc.
>                             800 El Camino Real
>                             Menlo Park, CA  94025
>                             (415) 688-8000

>Nat

You may also try to get the O2 object oriented database system from Altair.

The address: Sophie Gamerman
             GIP Altair
             Domaine de Voluceau
             BP 105 Rocquencourt
             78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
             FRANCE

skow@cs.utwente.nl (Jacek Skowronek) (05/22/91)

I would like to know if there is a group concerning object-oriented databases like ONTOS. Anobody can give me a hint ? I am now looking into that subject and I'd like to know if there is a place on Internet to discuss the topic.

Thanks in advance,

Jacek

sakkinen@jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May22.120845@cs.utwente.nl> skow@cs.utwente.nl (Jacek Skowronek) writes:

>I would like to know if there is a group concerning object-oriented databases like ONTOS. Anobody can give me a hint ? I am now looking into that subject and I'd like to know if there is a place on Internet to discuss the topic.

In principle, I suppose 'comp.databases' _is_ the most appropriate group.
However, there seems to be so much traffic here that it is very inconvenient
to follow -- the group should be divided into several subgroups.
Until such time I would recommend you to use 'comp.object', which is
concerned with all facets of object orientation.  We could need some more
database-related discussion over there.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
PL 35
SF-40351 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)