[comp.databases] pull down menus with paradox

ede879g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Robert D. Nicholson) (05/23/91)

In paradox 3.5 how do you program pull down menus.

Such as in turbo c.

Using PAL.

The showmenu function is being used to display the highest level
menu. ie the top line.

When the down arrow key is pushed and a popmenu is activated to give
the pull down effect the highest level menu (showmenu) disappears
from the screen until the pop up menu is removed from the screen

This happens regardless of the position of the popup menu.

Some code that accomplishes this would be nice.

HELP

byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Bill Yock) (05/29/91)

From article <1991May22.232716.27515@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, by ede879g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Robert D. Nicholson):
> In paradox 3.5 how do you program pull down menus.
> Such as in turbo c.
> Using PAL.
> The showmenu function is being used to display the highest level
> menu. ie the top line.
> When the down arrow key is pushed and a popmenu is activated to give
> the pull down effect the highest level menu (showmenu) disappears
> from the screen until the pop up menu is removed from the screen
> This happens regardless of the position of the popup menu.
> Some code that accomplishes this would be nice.

When you say the popmenu is activated do you mean the setpopup routines in the
Data Entry Toolkit?  If I remember correctly those only paint a popup menu on
the canvas.  The Showmenu command displays a ring menu on the top two lines of
the workspace.  To paint the canvas with a copy of what's on the workspace
before changing the canvas issue a ECHO FAST ECHO OFF command sequence.  This
allows canvas to be displayed with a copy of what's on the workspace such as
tables and menus.  On the BORDB forum of CompuServe you can find a file
called DanDemo that contains examples of how to program pull down menus.

--
Bill Yock, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242
byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (05/29/91)

In article <6236@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Bill Yock) writes:
>From article <1991May22.232716.27515@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, by ede879g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Robert D. Nicholson):
>> In paradox 3.5 how do you program pull down menus.
>> Such as in turbo c.
>> Using PAL.
[ stuff deleted ]
>When you say the popmenu is activated do you mean the setpopup routines in the
>Data Entry Toolkit?  If I remember correctly those only paint a popup menu on
>the canvas.  The Showmenu command displays a ring menu on the top two lines of
>the workspace.  To paint the canvas with a copy of what's on the workspace
>before changing the canvas issue a ECHO FAST ECHO OFF command sequence.  This
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>allows canvas to be displayed with a copy of what's on the workspace such as

The easy and recommended way to do this is to issue a call to the function
REFRESHCANVAS() ... especially if you have any intentions of distributing
applications to run under Paradox Runtime, since the ECHO command is dis-
abled from working when executing apps under the runtime environment.

Glenn

broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu (Barbara Roy) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May29.011349.19256@welch.jhu.edu>, glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes...

>The easy and recommended way to do this is to issue a call to the function
>REFRESHCANVAS() ... especially if you have any intentions of distributing
>applications to run under Paradox Runtime, since the ECHO command is dis-
>abled from working when executing apps under the runtime environment.

I can find no reference to this command in any of my Paradox manuals. Is this
a third party product?

Barbara Roy, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. 52242
Meadowacres Arabians
Internet: broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu     Bitnet: broyva@uiamvs
Disclaimer: My opinions are solely my own and may change daily.

In article <6245@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu writes:
>In article <1991May29.011349.19256@welch.jhu.edu>, glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes...
>>
>>The easy and recommended way to do this is to issue a call to the function
>>REFRESHCANVAS() ... especially if you have any intentions of distributing
>>applications to run under Paradox Runtime, since the ECHO command is dis-
>>abled from working when executing apps under the runtime environment.
>>

>I can find no reference to this command in any of my Paradox manuals. Is this
>a third party product?

It is part of the DataEntry Toolkit. The documentation is within the PAL
Users Guide Reference. You will need to create and access within your
application the standard toolkit library (which should include only those
library routines that you intend to use in your apps, Paradox allows you
to create this library with just the DataEntry Toolkit procedures that
you want to include).

Hope this helps,
Glenn