[comp.databases] dBase III+ INDEX UNIQUE bug???

eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) (05/20/91)

The other day, when playing around with the INDEX UNIQUE command, dBase III+
(version 1.0) locked up on a large file.  I could always reproduce the problem
on the same file, but calling INDEX UNIQUE on smaller (and sometimes larger)
files didn't cause the problem.  Symptom -- I would get the little "odometer"
claiming 2% indexed, 5% indexed, and somewhere along the way it would stop
and never come back.

Has anyone out there experienced this problem, or know what brings it on?
--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an

max@gupta.portal.com (Max Rochlin) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.012654.5988@panix.uucp> eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>The other day, when playing around with the INDEX UNIQUE command, dBase III+
>(version 1.0) locked up on a large file.  I could always reproduce the problem
>on the same file, but calling INDEX UNIQUE on smaller (and sometimes larger)
>files didn't cause the problem.  Symptom -- I would get the little "odometer"
>claiming 2% indexed, 5% indexed, and somewhere along the way it would stop
>and never come back.

A substantial number of indexing bugs were fixed between dBASE III Plus 1.0 and
1.1.  I'd suggest that you upgrade to 1.1 if it's still possible.  You'll have
to call A-T to find out for sure.  Don't be surprised if they make you upgrade
to dBASE IV 1.1, though.

  |     max@gupta.com      |     Max J. Rochlin     |   decwrl!madmax!max  |
  +------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
  |      Work Hard         |        Play Hard       |       Stay Hard      |

jeffmc@dbase.A-T.COM (Jeff McCrimon) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May20.012654.5988@panix.uucp> eravin@panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>The other day, when playing around with the INDEX UNIQUE command, dBase III+
>(version 1.0) locked up on a large file.  I could always reproduce the problem
>on the same file, but calling INDEX UNIQUE on smaller (and sometimes larger)
>files didn't cause the problem.  Symptom -- I would get the little "odometer"
>claiming 2% indexed, 5% indexed, and somewhere along the way it would stop
>and never come back.
>
>Has anyone out there experienced this problem, or know what brings it on?
>--
>Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
>cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an
>philabs!trintex!elr | 86 inch girth to LITHUANIA...
>+1 914 993 4737     |

Contact the Ashton-Tate Software Support Center at (213) 329-0086
and request the dBASE III PLUS Version 1.0 Inline (maintenance)
release, it corrects this problem in addition to others.

Better yet, you may want to contact our Customer Service dept.
at (213) 329-9989 and order the dBASE III PLUS version 1.1,
it corrected many problems and also had copy-protection dropped.

There may be a charge involved for the Version 1.1 upgrade, but
the inline (maintenance) release is free.

Hope this helps.
    =Jeffrey=

--
.signature is under development