[comp.databases] Teradata DBC/1012 and SEQUENT Symmetry

pd@mimosa.unice.fr (Philippe Delapchier) (05/27/91)

--

	Hello,

	I'm a student at the university of Nice-Sophia Antipolis (FRANCE) and  actually work on the parallel database machines.

	Does anybody works on the TERADATA DBC/1012 or SEQUENT Symmetry ?

	Please give me your mind on those database computers and all informations you have about performances.

	Thanks.

************************************
*       Philippe DELAPCHIER        *
*                                  *
*      4 place des Arcades         *       \|||||/
*     06250 MOUGINS LE HAUT        *         - -
*                                  *         o o
*             FRANCE               *          ^
*                                  *          w
*          93.64.24.11             *
*                                  *
*       pd@mimosa.unice.fr         *
************************************

lugnut@sequent.UUCP (Don Bolton) (05/29/91)

In article <212@taloa.unice.fr> pd@mimosa.unice.fr (Philippe Delapchier) writes:

>--
>
>	Hello,
>
>	I'm a student at the university of Nice-Sophia Antipolis (FRANCE) and  actually work on the parallel database machines.
>
>	Does anybody works on the TERADATA DBC/1012 or SEQUENT Symmetry ?
>
>	Please give me your mind on those database computers and all informations you have about performances.

I work on several Symmetry machines :-)

I cannot (nor will attempt to) vouch for the "T" offering, what I can
say (SPEAKING SOLEY ON MY OWN BEHALF) is that I'm *spoiled* having such
a machine as the Symmetry at my beck and call. My current developement
machine is also a timeshare machine with a user load up to 500 users
doing anything from sending mail, reading news, using text editors, spread-
sheet programs, as well as several RDBMS propritary products for a large
number of applications. Peak loads reflect in very little noticable
response delays.

Frankly I tend to take it all for granted, its fast, its reliable and
I'm spoiled in as much as I don't ever have reason to want for more
horsepower, in fact, I've written several menu interface applications
to display flat files in shell script merely because perfomance
and cpu cycles are such a "non issue" that compiled language code was not
a need.

As far as performance numbers are concerned, I'll let you hear those from
"the real world" :-) or the sales folks :-)

Don "just annother RDBMS hacker" Bolton