[comp.databases] Informix--can you run code across an NFS mount??

cryptkpr@cc.utah.edu (H. CARLTON DOE III) (05/28/91)

I have the typical distributed db environment with an OnLine engine sitting
on a fast server and some 386 front ends running the 4gls/sqls.  Unfortunately,
I have users who physically hop between front ends depending on their loads and
projects and the task of keeping all the software updated on the right machines
at thge right times is becoming a hassle.

My question is this: I want to put all of my .4gi's/.frm's/.sql's in one set
of directories on one machine which would be NFS auto-mounted by the other
machines on the net.  Will this work?? Has anyone out there tried it and
with what results?  In theory the idea sounds great but I KNOW there HAVE
to be some gotcha's.

Any info either posted here or e-mailed would be appreciated.

    the Crypt Keeper
    aka Carlton Doe
    at Spectrum Field Services
                                   |  WARNING!  This is only a test!  Had
     cryptkpr@cc.utah.edu          |  the above been an insightful or
     cdoe@peruvian.utah.edu        |  original thought rather than a waste
            or                     |  of bandwidth, you would have been told
     attmail!alexis!carlton        |  where to tune in your area for official

lugnut@sequent.UUCP (Don Bolton) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May28.043233.9489@fcom.cc.utah.edu> cryptkpr@cc.utah.edu writes:
>I have the typical distributed db environment with an OnLine engine sitting
>on a fast server and some 386 front ends running the 4gls/sqls.  Unfortunately,
>I have users who physically hop between front ends depending on their loads and
>projects and the task of keeping all the software updated on the right machines
>at thge right times is becoming a hassle.
>
>My question is this: I want to put all of my .4gi's/.frm's/.sql's in one set
>of directories on one machine which would be NFS auto-mounted by the other
>machines on the net.  Will this work?? Has anyone out there tried it and
>with what results?  In theory the idea sounds great but I KNOW there HAVE
>to be some gotcha's.

Being that Informix uses absolute paths for its globals and frm calls, it
should work OK, but you may be placing an overly high load on your NFS
traffic, and could get a real bite in the posterior should a hard mount
crash. I haven't tried this BTW, we set up a directory in path that
contains connects to our database applications via an rlogin process.

In this fashion there is only one code set to maintain, access can
be controlled by the rlogin shell and environmental needs need only
be handled in one place, it does add some to connect time though.

The rlogin is a psuedo user, and an env variable is set to account
for realuser, simplifies things a bunch... But then I'm not a DBA,
merely lowly developer scum :-)

Don "reformed telemonkey actually" Bolton