[comp.databases] Any one knowing about InfoAlliance

rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) (06/04/91)

Hi,

Is their any one out there who has heard about Software Publishing Corp's
InfoAlliance. This is a data source integrator as much as I know of it.

Could you please let me know of your experiences with it.

Thanks

Rohit

--
Rohit Mehrotra
Fleet Credit Corporation

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (06/05/91)

rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) writes:

>Is their any one out there who has heard about Software Publishing Corp's
>InfoAlliance. This is a data source integrator as much as I know of it.
>
>Could you please let me know of your experiences with it.

I've actually seen a demonstration of it.  The "data source integrator" is
a marketing term someone at SPC coined.  Basically, InfoAlliance is similar
to Borland's ObjectVision - it's a graphical front-end package that permits
you to define forms to access data from a variety of back-end databases.
Currently it only supports, I believe, its own data storage and OS/2's
data manager.  Their plan, of course, is to access other databases as
well.

This is the same approach taken by Borland in ObjectVision.  OV can access
data from Paradox, DBase, Novell Btrieve, ASCII files, and via DDE.  And
it runs on MS Windows.

The IA report writer is pretty slick - I was more impressed with that than
about anything else in the package.  The forms design is nicely GUI-style
and WYSIWYG style.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :