[comp.databases] dbase for unix question

m1tlm00@fed.frb.gov (Tim Medley) (05/27/91)

We're running dBASE for unix 1.1, Sun 4's, SunOS 4.1.1.  Whenever I try to
print a report from the Control Center, after dBASE's messages indicating
successful printing, the following messages from lpr overlay the Control
Center, and the print job never reaches the queue:

	lpr: missing argument for 'P'
	lpr: Fatal error- option 'P' missing argument

Yeah - looks like the "-P" option might be messed up.  Here's the "config.db":

*
*       dBASE IV Configuration File
*       Friday May 24, 1991
*

PDRIVER              = POSTSCRI.PR3
PRINTER 1            = POSTSCRI.PR3 NAME "Apple Laser" DEVICE SPOOLER arcpr2

The same thing happens with the generic, ascii, and Apple Laser printers, and
I can print without problems from the dot prompt.

Has anyone else had this problem or see something wrong with my "config.db"?
(Come to think of it, does anyone else use dBASE for Unix? I haven't seen too
many postings.)  So far it's stumped the dBASE support staff.....

Thanks....
--

Tim Medley                 Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
tlm@fed.frb.gov            Washington, D.C.  20551

jasonp@dbase.A-T.COM (Jason Pan) (06/06/91)

In article <1084@arccs2.fed.FRB.GOV> m1tlm00@fed.frb.gov (Tim Medley) writes:
>We're running dBASE for unix 1.1, Sun 4's, SunOS 4.1.1.  Whenever I try to
>print a report from the Control Center, after dBASE's messages indicating
>successful printing, the following messages from lpr overlay the Control
>Center, and the print job never reaches the queue:
>
>	lpr: missing argument for 'P'
>	lpr: Fatal error- option 'P' missing argument
>
>Yeah - looks like the "-P" option might be messed up.  Here's the "config.db":
>
>*
>*       dBASE IV Configuration File
>*       Friday May 24, 1991
>*
>
>PDRIVER              = POSTSCRI.PR3
>PRINTER 1            = POSTSCRI.PR3 NAME "Apple Laser" DEVICE SPOOLER arcpr2
>
>[other information deleted]

Assuming "arcpr2" is a printer defined in your /etc/printcap, replacing
"DEVICE SPOOLER arcpr2" with "DEVICE arcpr2" in your config.db will work.

Jason Pan
Software Support
Ashton-Tate