[comp.databases] Separate newsgroup for Informix?

walt@mathcs.emory.edu (Walt Hultgren {rmy}) (06/11/91)

In article <514@stephsf.stephsf.com> wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) writes:
>In article <7623@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> walt@mathcs.emory.edu (Walt Hultgren) writes:
>>This is to announce an electronic mailing list for the discussion of Informix
>
>  Could you also create a biz.informix news group?

It is probably time to create a separate newsgroup for Informix database (and
perhaps other) products.  In the four months that the Informix mailing list
has been in existence, its membership has grown to over 400.  The number of
messages posted to the list has also grown steadily.

I will soon be starting a discussion on this very topic within the mailing
list.  If you (or anyone else reading this) would like to subscribe, let me
know.  If that discussion results in any specific proposals involving this
newsgroup, I'll post something here then.

BTW, I think you could make a good case that comp.databases has grown to the
point that we should create sub-newsgroups for some of the more heavily
discussed products or vendors.  Given the various mailing lists dedicated to
individual DBMS products, this is already happening in substance if not in
form.

I don't know if there is a generally accepted break-even point where a
mailing list's size and/or traffic indicate that it should become a newsgroup.
If anyone here does, please send me some e-mail.

Thanks,

Walt.

--
Walt Hultgren              Internet: walt@rmy.emory.edu       (IP 128.140.8.1)