[comp.databases] FoxPro user group?

aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Daiv Stoner) (06/05/91)

Anybody know of a FoxPro/Fox Software users group or newsletter?

Also, do they have a BBS?  I know they're on Compu$erve.

--
Daiv Stoner
aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.200042.20376@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Daiv Stoner) writes:
|> Anybody know of a FoxPro/Fox Software users group or newsletter?

There are many users groups.  Call Fox to see if there is one in
your area.  We have one associated with the Boston Computer Society.

There is at least one newletter dedicated to Fox.  The one I am
familiar with is FoxTalk.  I think it comes out monthly and is ~$100.
It is quite technical and has a lot of code in it.  I believe they
also send a disk with each issue.

|> Also, do they have a BBS?  I know they're on Compu$erve.

The Compuserve BB is run by Fox.  They monitor it.  I can't recommend
it highly enough.  If you do significant development in Fox products,
it is invaluable.  It will pay for itself many times over.  There is
also a piece of software called TAPCIS which allows you to
significantly reduce your connect time to Compuserve by allowing you
to batch all your downloads and uploads.  You can download the entire
FoxForum, read it, and compose questions and replies all offline.  It
is also possible to mail Compuserve users from the internet:

    mail aaaaa.bbbb@compuserve.com

    Peter

dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) (06/07/91)

aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Daiv Stoner) writes:
>Anybody know of a FoxPro/Fox Software users group or newsletter?
>
>Also, do they have a BBS?  I know they're on Compu$erve.

In the Chicago area, there is the Chicago Fox User's Group, a fairly
small very suits-and-ties group, and a slightly larger, more comfy
one out in the "Fox" (heh) Valley.  Don't know of any others offhand;
(at least in the Chicago area, and none out by you).
Fox has yet to really catch fire like they should.

The FoxForum on CompuServe is their only telecom outlet.

If you join CFUG there's a local BBS -- could look up the ##.

Another poster mentions FoxTalk from Pinnacle Publishing.  There is
also the Pinter Fox Newsletter, and one other, hm.

Data Based Advisor has lots of good Fox code too.

--
Daniel A. Hartung           |  "What's the difference anyway, between being
dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us   |  safe and being rad, the joke's on us, we've

shevett@dworkin.UUCP ( Sysop) (06/08/91)

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:

>In article <1991Jun4.200042.20376@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, aindiana@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Daiv Stoner) writes:
>|> Anybody know of a FoxPro/Fox Software users group or newsletter?

>There are many users groups.  Call Fox to see if there is one in
>your area.  We have one associated with the Boston Computer Society.

I'm a little queezy about subscribing to CompuServe at the moment,
(who needs CompuServe?  I've got USENET!).  But, there are significant
changes going on in the Fox world, and I'd like to keep up with it.

Would folks be interested in a Fox mailing list?  I think with FoxPro 2.0
due out any minute now, the need for informed Fox information will probably
expand exponentially.

My system (dworkin) has the capability of handling mailing lists.  If
anyone would like to see a Fox topics mailing list, please E-mail me
at shevett@dworkin.amber.mccc.edu, and if there's enough interest,
I'll set it up!

Dave Shevett - shevett@dworkin.amber.mccc.edu - Lawrenceville, NJ

onder@ISI.EDU (Bruce Onder) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun07.060632.7405@chinet.chi.il.us> dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) writes:

>   Another poster mentions FoxTalk from Pinnacle Publishing.  There is
>also the Pinter Fox Newsletter, and one other, hm.

The Green Letter gives out some good user info (no code yet, they
cover the xBase market as a whole).  Used to be free, but starting in
July, that changes.  $99 a year.  Sigh...

--
Bruce W. Onder		onder@isi.edu
	       (He's not your everyday-type prankster!)