[comp.databases] Clipper '87 -- Duplicate records.

cearley_k@wizard.colorado.edu (06/11/91)

Does anyone have a laundry list of how records could get 'accidently'
duplicated in a DBF file? Not specific to Clipper I guess, but are
there ways other than redundant REPLACE statements that create such a
condition?

		-Thanks!
		-Kent Cearley
		-University of Colorado

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (06/12/91)

In article <11JUN91.08233358@wizard.colorado.edu> cearley_k@wizard.colorado.edu writes:
>Does anyone have a laundry list of how records could get 'accidently'
>duplicated in a DBF file? Not specific to Clipper I guess, but are
>there ways other than redundant REPLACE statements that create such a
>condition?

I could think of a few possibilties (really duplicate REPLACEs).  I
assume that its not the REPLACE so much as an APPEND BLANK that creates
the second (duplicate) record.  I assume that it should not APPEND BLANK
unless the record is not found().

Reasons for ! found() :
   Index corrupted or does not contain record
   FILTER does not contain record
   The first record is actually DELETED and the SET DELETED is not in the
      right logical value.

Other than that, maybe the database (.DBF) is corrupted, but I bet
its in your code.  Can you repeat the problems and better yet step through
it with the debugger?

If my assumptions, were not correct, good luck....

-J Baker
--
BAKER,JAMES G - Undergraduate Lab Instructor, School of Electrical Engineering
____  _    _    Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
(_|. |_). |_).  Internet: jgb@prism.gatech.edu, jgb@ee, jgb@eecom, jgb@cc