[comp.databases] SYBASE Learning Curve--How steep is it?

jean@beno.CSS.GOV (Jean Anderson) (06/12/91)

How long would it realistically take to come up to speed for DBA work with
Sybase given the following:

   o	Small to medium sized scientific database (under 500Meg); i.e. problems
	seen with large databases are not a factor (at least in the next year).
   o	Database access is primarily from C and FORTRAN continuous processing
	applications.  No fancy forms based user interfaces and light ad hoc
	interactive SQL-ing.
   o	Assume the DBA already has 3 years experience with ORACLE 6.
	(Does ORACLE expertise transfer well?)

Any opinions would be sincerely appreciated,

	- Jean

| Jean Anderson, DBA                            email:  jean@seismo.css.gov  |
| SAIC Geophysics Division, Mailstop 12            or:  jean@esosun.css.gov  |
| 10210 Campus Point Drive                      phone:  (619)458-2727        |
| San Diego, CA  92121                            fax:  (619)458-4993        |
|                Any opinions are mine, not my employer's.                   |

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (06/13/91)

In <49698@seismo.CSS.GOV> jean@beno.CSS.GOV (Jean Anderson) writes:

>How long would it realistically take to come up to speed for DBA work with
>Sybase given the following:

[ profile of DB requirements deleted ]

Given previous RDBMS experience, you should almost be able to jump
straight in, always keeping the reference manuals at no more than
arm's length.

A read of the admin and programming guides, and a browse through the
reference manuals beforehand is a must. If you have the time, do some
Sybase training course. This should take no more than a week.

The most important thing is to get to grips with the basics and the
facilities provided. Don't get pre-occupied with the command syntax;
that's what the reference manuals are for.

One hint: keep a spare DB which you can play with (i.e. afford to
lose) to verify that what you are about to do, will give the results
you want.
--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sold \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337