[comp.databases] INFORMIX-database on MS-DOS

rosenb@fuhainf2.fernuni-hagen.de (Hans-Juergen Rosenberger) (06/14/91)

unfortunatelly, we have to run some INFORMIX-databases on MS-DOS.
We have a lot of problems with this. As we learned from somebody else,
INFORMIX did only release its software for certain brands of PC's. Can
anybody confirm this or is there any PC-based installation, which runs
INFORMIX-RDS without problems ? If so, then on which PC ?

Can anybody tell us the email address of INFORMIX for further consultation?

thanks inadvance
   HANS

aland@informix.com (Colonel Panic) (06/15/91)

In article <6816@fuhainf.fernuni-hagen.de> rosenb@fuhainf2.fernuni-hagen.de (Hans-Juergen Rosenberger) writes:
>unfortunatelly, we have to run some INFORMIX-databases on MS-DOS.
>We have a lot of problems with this. As we learned from somebody else,
>INFORMIX did only release its software for certain brands of PC's. Can

I'm not sure what you mean by "certain brands".  We only certify on
IBMs, if that's what you mean, but most people run on compatibles.

Compatibility becomes a bigger issue if you are using protected mode.
There have been millions of "100% compatible" 286s, 386*s, and 486*s
shipped that aren't REALLY 100% compatible.  If you get a clone 286
with an old or otherwise lame BIOS, you can get major problems in
protected mode.  386s and 486s usually don't have these compatibility
problems since they don't rely on the BIOS to state-switch between
real and protected mode (the 386 has a machine instruction to do this
which the 286 lacks).  There's not much we can do if your machine turns
out not to be "really" compatible; for example, nothing will make
protected mode work right on an AT&T 6300 Plus...

We have only one current DOS version for each product; we don't do
"ports" to different DOS machines.  You may get a sales critter asking
you a question like "Do you have an AT, or a PS/2?" in order to
determine the media type (3.5" vs. 5.25"), but there's no difference
in the code.

Current versions are *.10.06E; accept NO substitutes...

>anybody confirm this or is there any PC-based installation, which runs
>INFORMIX-RDS without problems ? If so, then on which PC ?

There are lots of 'em.  If you are using RDS, note that RDS and the
Interactive Debugger are bundled together on DOS (unlike UNIX).
Also note that you can use dual monitors for debugging; if you have
a color monitor and a mono monitor, for example, you can run "mode
mono" before starting pfgldb or r4gl, and your debugger screens show
up on the mono monitor while the application screen(s) show up
on the color monitor when you use the APPL DEV command.  Or vice-versa.
This works just like APPL DEV tty__ in the UNIX version.

Note that you can't debug really large apps if you are running purely
in real mode.  If you run the debugger in protected mode, apps can
get rather huge.  Obviously, the more memory, the better.  pfgldb
needs 500KB by itself.

--
Alan Denney      aland@informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

"In the cafeteria just after lunch, (well, not *just* after, more like
 *during* lunch, about 12:28; say 12:30, give or take a few minutes),
 I leaned back in my chair (it was one of those aluminum chairs, good
 strength-to-weight, like titanium but not quite; but then of course
 titanium would be a bit of an overkill).  Anyway, I heard one of the
 girls talking about how boring she thought engineers could be."