[comp.databases] TODAY

whjelmar@mizar.usc.edu (Walter Hjelmar) (06/17/91)

	Does anyone out there use TODAY by Computer Power Group ltd.?  It is a
4th GL, that  includes database, application generation, and expert system
capibilities.  I am working on the MS-Dos version (which sadly doesn't have the
expert system faculties), but runs on VMS, MPE, Unix, Primos, and OS/2 as well.
I am using it to generate a payroll system, and would be interested in talking
to other developers, to share experiences and horror stories....Looking forward
to hearing from you.....

					-Walter-

|                          |                                                  |
|                          |  I can't complain, but sometimes I still do      |
|      Walter Hjelmar      |  Life's been good to me so far...                |
|  3175 S. Hoover St.#234  |                      -Joe Walsh                  |
|       LA, CA 90007       |  						      |
|                          |  E-mail : whjelmar@mizar.usc.edu                 |
|                     	   |						      |
|__________________________|__________________________________________________|

rvp@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Rey Paulo) (06/18/91)

In article <33661@usc.edu> whjelmar@mizar.usc.edu (Walter Hjelmar) writes:

>	Does anyone out there use TODAY by Computer Power Group ltd.?  It is a
>4th GL, that  includes database, application generation, and expert system
>capibilities.  I am working on the MS-Dos version (which sadly doesn't have the
>expert system faculties), but runs on VMS, MPE, Unix, Primos, and OS/2 as well.
>I am using it to generate a payroll system, and would be interested in talking
>to other developers, to share experiences and horror stories....Looking forward
>to hearing from you.....
>					-Walter-

I've used TODAY since 1987 on MSDOS and Unix. I have used the development system but not the expert system facility. It's a very good product for rapid application development. Its best feature in my opinion is that there is minimal coding required for an application. That's compared to INGRES or INFORMIX. But its disadvantage would be the easy of Embedding other code (ie c) with it. It has a strong data dictionary (the best I've seen) which allows for minimal coding since data validation is done for you.

The trick is to keep the coding down to a minimum ie Processes 10lines, Functions 20lines. The screen painter is OK, the report writer is good, but I have never yet used a Decision Table, mainly because a plain if statement was easier. I've used Versions up to 2.12.

Generally it is a good product but it has never had a big profile here in Australia, people here seem to think that something designed and made overseas must be better than a local product. That could be why ORACLE is big here.

If you would like to know anything more specific about TODAY sent me some mail.
Good-luck...

Micheal Watson.  E-mail address: mmr@asg4.canberra.edu.au

--
Rey V. Paulo                  | Internet:  rvp@csc.canberra.edu.au
University of Canberra        | I am not bound to please thee with my answer.