[comp.databases] X-base issues

tomr@dbase.a-t.com (Tom Rombouts) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun16.135458.19176@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>tomr@dbase.a-t.com (Tom Rombouts) writes:
>
>>Like it or not, dBASE III PLUS is the de facto
>>standard of the X-base world.
>
>I would certainly agree that when people think xBase, they think of the
>dBase III programming language. I do not, however,believve that they think
>of the dBase III product itself. Generally, the dBase III language is the
>lowest common denominator of all xBase products.

Yes, of course.  I should have said something like:  "The language
syntax found in dBASE III PLUS...."  And this was really my main
point in the (heated) series of recent posts, that Clipper 5.0 encouraged
you to move away from this de facto "standard"  Whether this is "good"
or "bad" depends on your individual situation, which is obviously
influenced by many, many factors.  I had no intent to start a debate
in this newsgroup - it has probably been forgotten that I was trying
to end the Fox vs. Clipper posts that had been going on.

The larger issue, methinks, is questions like "Do we need an X-base
standard a la C or Ada?  Do we need a "standard" data dictionary
like those found in large system DBMS products?," etc.  I can not
really participate in such debates, but the rather outspoken
Adam Green is actively gathering input on this.  He can be reached
on Compu$erve at 72417,1137 or FAX at (617)742-3431 for those who
wish to put in their .02 of a dollar.  (I am only mentioning this
as an outlet to reduce dBASE/xbase debate in comp.databases )

Finally, for those with specific Ashton-Tate product questions,
we are now informally monitoring the DBASE-L e-mail list.  If you
post there, you will likely get a response.  If you want to
be insured of a response, our BBS numbers are 1200 baud: (213)538-6196;
2400 baud: (213)324-2188; 9600 baud:(213)538-6157.  Or, contact
Errol Jackson at 76702,1631 or Dave McNeill at 76702,1053 on
CIS.  (I mention this in response to some who are concerned about
the percentage of dBASE/xbase traffic in comp.databases)

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com