[comp.databases] FoxPro 2.0 Compiler/Library Construction toolkits

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (06/15/91)

Does anyone have any detailed info on the capability to link external 'C'
code to FoxPro 2.0 executables? I have heard that you need two additional
toolkits along with the standard FoxPro 2.0 package, the Compiler/Distribu-
tion toolkit and the Library Construction toolkit, listing for $500 each.
I also hear that the Library Construction kit included a limited version of
the Watcom C compiler that only produces object files (since that is all
FoxPro will need) ... and that *no other* C compilers are supported! So
if I want to do some serious development using these tools, I am forced to
spend $$$ on yet another C compiler? I am using Microsoft C 6.0a and Borland
C 2.0 and Borland C++ ... and I am going to buy another C compiler to develop
FoxPro compatible object code?? Can anyone confirm any of this?

At first I was wondering why do I have to buy a compiler kit AND a library
construction kit? What is a Library construction kit?? I could be wrong, but
it appears to me that they are selling the Watcom compiler + some other
trivial code (that could have been included within the compiler kit) and
selling it for $500 ... and you cannot create objects to be linked in with
Fox 2.0 without this stuff. I would have figured that if someone wants to
sell a package that will allow linkage between itself and external C code
that compatibility with at least the Microsoft compiler would be supported,
since that is probably the most widely used PC C compiler. If Fox was just
out to make more $$$, I think they should have just made one compiler kit,
compatible with other compilers, and listed it for $1000 rather than make
you purchase both kits and force you to use Watcom. I was interested in
switching from using Paradox to Fox to get the capability to create
executables and link in external 'C' code. I would have to learn another
database language, development environment, tools, etc. I think it would
be worth the time, but now I have to also learn the intricacies of the
Watcom compiler + any associated tools? I am already comfortable the the
integrated developments, make utilities, etc. of the other 'C' development
packages that I am using now. Now I am unsure whether it is worth it to
move to Fox.

Have these items shipped yet? Anyone using these tools have any comments?

Glenn
--
Glenn M. Mason, Senior Research Programmer/Analyst
Laboratory for Applied Research in Academic Information

dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) (06/17/91)

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:

>Does anyone have any detailed info on the capability to link external 'C'
>code to FoxPro 2.0 executables? I have heard that you need two additional
>toolkits along with the standard FoxPro 2.0 package, the Compiler/Distribu-
>tion toolkit and the Library Construction toolkit, listing for $500 each.

If you want to link C to FoxPro, you need the Lib toolkit.  If you want to
distribute runtime or executables, you need the Dist Kit.  You can do
neither, one, or both.

>I also hear that the Library Construction kit included a limited version of
>the Watcom C compiler that only produces object files (since that is all
>FoxPro will need) ... and that *no other* C compilers are supported! So
>if I want to do some serious development using these tools, I am forced to
>spend $$$ on yet another C compiler? I am using Microsoft C 6.0a and Borland
>C 2.0 and Borland C++ ... and I am going to buy another C compiler to develop
>FoxPro compatible object code?? Can anyone confirm any of this?

Yes.  This is because Watcom C is the compiler used to develop FoxPro.  It is
a high-performance compiler; for instnace, Netware is developed in it.  It
passes parameters to functions in a different way than Microsoft does, and
Microsoft .OBJ files cannot therefore be linked to Watcom object files.
If all you need to do is link C code to Fox, all the Watcom C you'll ever
need comes with the LCK.  If you have existing C code, simply compile it
with Watcom and there you are.

>At first I was wondering why do I have to buy a compiler kit AND a library
>construction kit? What is a Library construction kit??

The compiler produces distributable Fox systems.  The library is what you
use IF you need the capability to link C code in.  Two different animals.
The library construction kit will produce files with a .LIB extension
(I think) that can be accessed at runtime.  If you distribute in .EXE
form, I think you can "hide" the library inside the .EXE ....

The idea is that you can develop and sell libraries to make Fox do other
stuff; e.g. use Fox's internal SQL to link to SQL servers.

 I could be wrong, but
>it appears to me that they are selling the Watcom compiler + some other
>trivial code (that could have been included within the compiler kit) and
>selling it for $500 ... and you cannot create objects to be linked in with
>Fox 2.0 without this stuff

In some sense, this is true.  However not everyone will need the Lib kit.
Many many folks will need the Dist kit.

I would have figured that if someone wants to
>sell a package that will allow linkage between itself and external C code
>that compatibility with at least the Microsoft compiler would be supported,
>since that is probably the most widely used PC C compiler.

See above.  They chose Watcom to compile FoxPro; this locked them into
this solution.  It's caused some grumbling, but the way they are packaging
it is really not big trouble.  It's less expensive than the Paradox Engine!

 If Fox was just
>out to make more $$$, I think they should have just made one compiler kit,
>compatible with other compilers, and listed it for $1000 rather than make
>you purchase both kits and force you to use Watcom. I was interested in
>switching from using Paradox to Fox to get the capability to create
>executables and link in external 'C' code. I would have to learn another
>database language, development environment, tools, etc.

If you develop in ANSI C, just keep using the Microsoft environment.
Run your code thru Watcom....

 I think it would
>be worth the time, but now I have to also learn the intricacies of the
>Watcom compiler + any associated tools? I am already comfortable the the
>integrated developments, make utilities, etc. of the other 'C' development
>packages that I am using now. Now I am unsure whether it is worth it to
>move to Fox.

It may not be, for you.  Paradox + the Engine is a fairly powerful combination.
However I firmly believe that FoxPro's capabilities make this worth it.
Fox will do a LOT of stuff; you may be exaggerating your projected need for
C code.

>Have these items shipped yet? Anyone using these tools have any comments?

Shipping probably by the end of the month.  All the beta testers on
Compuserve's FoxForum are incredibly enthusiastic.  They love it to death.

--
Daniel A. Hartung           |  "What's the difference anyway, between being
dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us   |  safe and being rad, the joke's on us, we've

gale@virtech.uucp (Gale A. Botwick) (06/18/91)

As I understood it, there is only one package involved with their
"special" compiler.  As far as I know, you must use their "Watcom"
compiler, however.  The best place to get answers to your questions
is on the FoxForum (compuserve).  The people are friendly, informative,
and responsive.  They also have several press releases online to aid in
the understanding of what 2.0 has to offer.  BTW, 2.0 has not been released
yet, but they do offer an upgrade price, even if you are currently using
Paradox.  You might want to check on this...

--
Gale A. Botwick			Software Engineering Resources, Inc.
uunet!virtech!gale		(703)830-5034

robind@code3.com (Robin Dunn) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun14.205523.11825@welch.jhu.edu> glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:

>Does anyone have any detailed info on the capability to link external 'C'
>code to FoxPro 2.0 executables? I have heard that you need two additional
>toolkits along with the standard FoxPro 2.0 package, the Compiler/Distribu-
>tion toolkit and the Library Construction toolkit, listing for $500 each.
>I also hear that the Library Construction kit included a limited version of
>the Watcom C compiler that only produces object files (since that is all
>FoxPro will need) ... and that *no other* C compilers are supported!
>
>At first I was wondering why do I have to buy a compiler kit AND a library
>construction kit? What is a Library construction kit?? I could be wrong, but
>it appears to me that they are selling the Watcom compiler + some other
>trivial code (that could have been included within the compiler kit) and
>selling it for $500 ... and you cannot create objects to be linked in with
>Fox 2.0 without this stuff.

The Distribution kit is what allows you to create .EXE's, basicaly it
is the equivilent of the old runtime module, but it takes all the
compiled FoxPro modules and puts them in one or more .exe files for
distribution to your clients.  That makes it a lot simpler than a
multitude of .FXP files and the runtime .EXE...

>I would have figured that if someone wants to
>sell a package that will allow linkage between itself and external C code
>that compatibility with at least the Microsoft compiler would be supported,
>since that is probably the most widely used PC C compiler. If Fox was just
>out to make more $$$, I think they should have just made one compiler kit,
>compatible with other compilers, and listed it for $1000 rather than make
>you purchase both kits and force you to use Watcom.

The reason the Watcom compiler is needed is that is what FoxPro was
written with.  FoxPro 2.0 can be run as a protected mode 32-bit app,
so I imagine that in order to make calls to external libraries (they
aren't linked in) some pretty hairy stuff is going on, and the code in
the library may have to make the transition from protected mode to
real mode.  I'm not completly sure about this, I'm just speculating
from what I read on CompuServe.

>I was interested in
>switching from using Paradox to Fox to get the capability to create
>executables and link in external 'C' code. I would have to learn another
>database language, development environment, tools, etc. I think it would
>be worth the time, but now I have to also learn the intricacies of the
>Watcom compiler + any associated tools? I am already comfortable the the
>integrated developments, make utilities, etc. of the other 'C' development
>packages that I am using now. Now I am unsure whether it is worth it to
>move to Fox.

Well, you may not even need the Library Construction kit.  The FP
language is very comprehesive, it even includes quite a few low-level
functions like in C.  The only time you would really need it is there
is something you just can't do in FP (very little) or you want the
speed of C.  (But FP 2.0 should be nearly as fast.)  No matter which
compiler they chose to use, you would still have to buy a compiler
because it has to generate the entry/exit code differently to run in
the FP environment.

>Have these items shipped yet? Anyone using these tools have any comments?

They are suposedly shipping at the 'end of the month'.  I havn't used
them, but I have read messages from the Beta Testers and they love it.
It may be expensive, but it's going to be great and worth every penny!
Besides, once you get the special upgrade offer for FP, and get the
'Kits' at a software house at a significantly reduced price, it's not
all that expensive.

I have no connection with Fox other than I hope to be a satisfied
customer in a couple weeks!

Robin P. Dunn                                       ...!uunet!code3!robind
3M Health Information Systems                             robind@code3.com
Code3 Product Development                                   (801) 265-4820