[comp.databases] Data encryption for Clipper

eskin25@wharton.upenn.edu (06/20/91)

I need a data encryption library for either Clipper S'87 or 5.01.  I am looking
to encrypt the datafile (so nobody can use it if they copy it from our
network), but also transparent to the application.  Does anything exist?  I was
really hoping that 5.0 had an encryption feature, but it got here yesterday,
and it doesn't.

  -Hank Eskin   ESKIN25@WHARTON.UPENN.EDU

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.103020.1@wharton.upenn.edu> eskin25@wharton.upenn.edu writes:
>I need a data encryption library for either Clipper S'87 or 5.01.  I am looking
>to encrypt the datafile (so nobody can use it if they copy it from our
>network), but also transparent to the application.  Does anything exist?  I was
>really hoping that 5.0 had an encryption feature, but it got here yesterday,
>and it doesn't.

I used some features in NET LIB by Communications Horizons.  You simply called
a routine with a key before accessing any encrypted files and voila, every
access is completely transparent.  There are also functions to "crypt" and
"decrypt" a .dbf file, which can easily be made into command-line .EXE's.
Un-encrypted files will not be affected by the using the key.  So:
   N_SETKEY("FOOBAR");
   /* access encrypted or normal files as normal*/

The key is nice so different programs can have different keys.  The crypted
.DBF appears totally foreign to dBase, etc -"not a dBase file".  They don't
claim any DOD-type crypting, but it sure keeps the even-above-average user
from looking at data without your program.

They may have moved these routines to a different librabry.  NetLib
was very Network oriented but had a number of other bells like this one.

-J Baker
--
BAKER,JAMES G - Undergraduate Lab Instructor, School of Electrical Engineering
____  _    _    Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
(_|. |_). |_).  Internet: jgb@prism.gatech.edu, jgb@ee, jgb@eecom, jgb@cc