[comp.databases] PROGRESS

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (05/15/89)

With all the comments recently about Progress, can anyone tell me
where I can get in touch with them?

Thanks

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/13/90)

Are Progress database application and data files created under
UNIX (specifically, Interactive's 386/ix) portable to DOS?  That is,
can I use Interactive's doscp utility to move these file from a
UNIX host to a DOS host and have them be usable?  Is any sort of
conversion necessary?  Does Progress itself have conversion utilities?

Please reply via e-Mail to the address *B*E*L*O*W*, not to the one
in the headers to this posting.  Thanks.
--
cc:Mail		Tim K. Evans at ~OSS
UUCP 		...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!tkevans

ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) (09/16/90)

In article <530@oss670.UUCP>, tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> Are Progress database application and data files created under
> UNIX (specifically, Interactive's 386/ix) portable to DOS?  That is,
> can I use Interactive's doscp utility to move these file from a
> UNIX host to a DOS host and have them be usable?  Is any sort of
> conversion necessary?  Does Progress itself have conversion utilities?
>
> --
> cc:Mail		Tim K. Evans at ~OSS
> UUCP 		...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!tkevans

Greetings -

	Lets talk about the "porting" effort in two stages;

	Stage One: The Physical transmission of the files
from system A to systems B.  This may be accomplished through
any file transfer protocal. (uucp,kermit,doscp,...)
Progress "source" code is just flat acsii files.
Progress developers talk about the source code files as;
	Here are the various "basic" standard parts to a Progress
Application;

	Application Code
	================
	"p code" -- ascii: "programs" source files
	"i code" -- ascii: "include" files
	"r code" -- binary: "compiled" run-time files
	"executive code" -- misc: c code, shell scripts....

	Database Structure
	==================
	"d files" -- ascii: database files (dump/load usage *only*)
	"df file" -- ascii: database def file (db rebuild usage *only*)
	"db file" -- binary: "THE" database file

NOTE: "r code" and the "db file" are much like machine binaries,
portable to machines with the same CPU. Yet useless
on any machines of different CPU types.

2) The conversions of the source code from system A's environment to B's

	My run of thumb is that any well written Progress application
is 95% portable to *ANY* of Progress over 200 machines.

	Having said that the other 5% may take a while to locate and
convert.  This 5% is "machine/OS" specific calls; OS Calls,
Printer Output, File/ Process Input/Output. (Eg: UN*X/DOS/OUTPUT/INPUT)
A simple recursive pattern search routine can locate these calls.

	So what you need to do:

	>>> System A: <<<
1) Export data ("db file" => "d files")
2) Export data schema ( "db file" => "df file")
3) Transfer files ( "df file","d files","p code","i code" => System B)
	>>> System B: <<<
4) Build a database (prodb command => New empty "db file")
5) Import data ("db file" <= "d files")
6) Import data schema ( "db file" <= "df file")
7) Convert Machine Specific Calls ("p code","i code" ,"executive code")
8) Compile files ( "p code","i code" => "r code")

*OR What you can do is call and have us do the port for you       *

	- GOOD LUCK

--
Ethan A. Lish     ----    301.652.0651    ----    {uunet}!thinc!ethan
Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc.,4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (09/16/90)

->Are Progress database application and data files created under
->UNIX (specifically, Interactive's 386/ix) portable to DOS?  That is,
->can I use Interactive's doscp utility to move these file from a
->UNIX host to a DOS host and have them be usable?  Is any sort of
->conversion necessary?  Does Progress itself have conversion utilities?

Programs: Of Course!

Database Files: Not in native format;  dump them and transfer the definition
files (.df) and data contents files (.d) and reload.  Voila!

Ectually, you needn't even doscp the stuff if you have Vpix or some such.
Progress doesn't seem to care about Carriage-return/Line-feed differences
between Dos and Unix.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (09/17/90)

In article <80@thinc.UUCP>, ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) writes:
> In article <530@oss670.UUCP>, tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> > Are Progress database application and data files created under
> > UNIX (specifically, Interactive's 386/ix) portable to DOS?  That is,
> > can I use Interactive's doscp utility to move these file from a
> > UNIX host to a DOS host and have them be usable?  Is any sort of
> > conversion necessary?  Does Progress itself have conversion utilities?

> Greetings -
>
> 	Lets talk about the "porting" effort in two stages;
... on forever

In other words, the answer is no.  You have to dump, recompile and reload.
Which makes sense.  I know the semi-compiled programs are not portable
between systems (or Progress versions) and I guess I would expect the same
sort of problems with file structure.

This is too bad, however as I have been in a situation where it would
be nice to be able to copy the database and just be running.
(Don't take this as a serious negative comment.  I am a very satisfied
Progress user.)

ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) (09/18/90)

In article <240@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> In article <80@thinc.UUCP>, ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) writes:
> > In article <530@oss670.UUCP>, tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> > > Are Progress database application and data files created under
> > > UNIX (specifically, Interactive's 386/ix) portable to DOS?  That is,
> > > can I use Interactive's doscp utility to move these file from a
> > > UNIX host to a DOS host and have them be usable?  Is any sort of
> > > conversion necessary?  Does Progress itself have conversion utilities?
>
> > Greetings -
> >
> > 	Lets talk about the "porting" effort in two stages;
> ... on forever
>
> In other words, the answer is no.  You have to dump, recompile and reload.
> Which makes sense.

> I know the semi-compiled programs are not portable
> between systems (or Progress versions) and I guess I would expect the same
> sort of problems with file structure.
>
> This is too bad, however as I have been in a situation where it would
> be nice to be able to copy the database and just be running.

***THIS IS NOT ADVICED FOR THE AVERAGE PROGRESS USER/DEVELOPER***

Well for Progress *Experts* There is one other way;

Question: When can one database be *MOVED* from one machine to another?

	There are Five *species* of databases:
		1) 2k block size, backward byte order; VAX VMS, VAX Ultrix
		2) 1k block size, backward byte order; XENIX
		3) 512 byte block size, backward byte order; PC-DOS, OS/2
		4) 2k block size, forward byte order; PYRAMID, SEQUENT...
		5) 1k block size, forward byte order; *MOST* OTHERS

	Databases *CAN* be *FREELY* moved amoung species.

	It is possible to write an intelligent filter program to convert
	between species; 2 <===> 5, or 1 <===> 4.

	Good Luck,
		Ethan
--

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (09/19/90)

->In article <80@thinc.UUCP>, ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) writes:
->> In article <530@oss670.UUCP>, tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
->> > Are Progress database application and data files created under
->> > UNIX (specifically, Interactive's 386/ix) portable to DOS?  That is,
->> > can I use Interactive's doscp utility to move these file from a
->> > UNIX host to a DOS host and have them be usable?  Is any sort of
->> > conversion necessary?  Does Progress itself have conversion utilities?
->
->> 	Lets talk about the "porting" effort in two stages;
->... on forever
->
->In other words, the answer is no.  You have to dump, recompile and reload.
->Which makes sense.  I know the semi-compiled programs are not portable
->between systems (or Progress versions) and I guess I would expect the same
->sort of problems with file structure.
->
->This is too bad, however as I have been in a situation where it would
->be nice to be able to copy the database and just be running.
->(Don't take this as a serious negative comment.  I am a very satisfied
->Progress user.)

Actually, it is _possible_ to share databases from one machine class such
as:
	386 unix xenix moonix whatever

	680xxx unix's

BUT it ain't recommended and Progress won't support you if it doesn't work.

LITTLE KNOWN HINT:  this doesn't mean you must buy a full development system
for each platform.   As of vers 5, you can xcode your source and a measly
run-time will compile it.

      PROGRESS(tm) RDBMS.  Discussion may include any topic related
      to the subject, such as transaction processing, system implementation
      on networks, concurrency,  library   construction,   modular  design,
      function design, tuning  or  using  the  product in any  environment,
      conversion to new versions, announcements of conferences, etc.

      All the above   topics  will  be  treated  under  the  light  of  the
      PROGRESS(tm) language, so  the   focus   will   be   on  implementing
      algorithms using this language.

      Users may subscribe by sending mail to uunet!thinc!progress
      include; Real Name  (not  your login Id), Company Name,  Voice  Phone
      Number, Machine and Operating System which hosts your account.

      Coordinator: Ethan A. Lish @ THINC (uunet!thinc!ethan)

--
Ethan A. Lish     ----    301.652.0651    ----    {uunet}!thinc!ethan
Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc.,4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814

fc185120@seas.gwu.edu (Lish Ethan A.) (10/30/90)

Users may subscribe by sending mail to uunet!thinc!progress

Coordinator: Ethan A. Lish of THINC (uunet!thinc!ethan)

--
Ethan A. Lish     ----    301.652.0651    ----    {uunet}!thinc!ethan
Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc.,4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814

ksaputra@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Kumala B Saputra) (06/23/91)

I am currectly looking for a good RDBMS that can run across DOS and UNI
I received a brochure from PROGRESS and their claims are certainly very
impressive.
I need inputs from anybody using PROGRESS on the strong and weak points of
PROGRESS compared to other products.  Or perhaps somebody can suggest a better
product.  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

K. Budi Saputra