[comp.databases] sybase on sun: want X-based apt

rob@fosters.med.utah.edu (Rob Sargent) (06/04/91)

Can anyone out there spare me the tedium of re-reading the tape and/or
phoning tech support on this one. My installation of sybase on my
sparcstation only has has char. based apt and sunview apt. (Judging by
the mouse activity and the fact that no X/Openwindows windows will
"raise" above the apt window).  My main question is this: does that
distribution tape for sybase on a sparc even offer an X base apt
environment. If not, is one available.

Thanks

rob@fosters.med.utah.edu
--
Rob Sargent                      s-mail: Dept. of Human Genetics
e-mail: rob@fosters.med.utah.edu         U. of Utah Medical School

larry@st-andy.uucp (Larry Martell) (06/04/91)

In article <ROB.91Jun3222835@fosters.med.utah.edu> rob@fosters.med.utah.edu (Rob Sargent) writes:

>Can anyone out there spare me the tedium of re-reading the tape and/or
>phoning tech support on this one. My installation of sybase on my
>sparcstation only has has char. based apt and sunview apt. (Judging by
>the mouse activity and the fact that no X/Openwindows windows will
>"raise" above the apt window).  My main question is this: does that
>distribution tape for sybase on a sparc even offer an X base apt
>environment. If not, is one available.

No, Sybase, at this time, does not off an X based environment. (You, of
course, can run Sunview apps in Open Windows.) I understand the X environment
is under beta test at this time, and will be released real soon now.
--
Larry Martell                  "Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one,
212-668-9478		        but nobody wants to look at the other guys"

adc@table.uucp (Alan D. Cabrera) (06/04/91)

Check if you have these executables in $SYBASE/bin: apt.x11, aptexec.x11,
dwb.x11.  If you don't, then you can't run in X.  If you do, then
set your environmental variable TERM to x11 and just type "apt".

Also, to run in OpenWindows you need the following line in your
.Xdefaults file:

        OpenWindows.FocusLenience:      True

--
Alan Cabrera				internet:  adc@tardis.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University		phone:     (517) 353-3027

rpburry@ncs.dnd.ca (Paul Burry) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.131716.13481@st-andy.uucp> uunet!st-andy!larry (Larry Martell) writes:
|In article <ROB.91Jun3222835@fosters.med.utah.edu> rob@fosters.med.utah.edu (Rob Sargent) writes:

.	.	.
|>"raise" above the apt window).  My main question is this: does that
|>distribution tape for sybase on a sparc even offer an X base apt
|>environment. If not, is one available.
|>
|No, Sybase, at this time, does not off an X based environment. (You, of
|course, can run Sunview apps in Open Windows.) I understand the X environment
|is under beta test at this time, and will be released real soon now.

Wrong.
Sybase 4.2 is out now.  I have had it for about two months.  It supports X.

(Just remember to set the OpenWindows.FocusLenience: true in ~/.Xdefaults)

Paul Burry
Voice: (613)-991-7325		Internet: rpburry@ncs.dnd.ca
Fax:   (613)-991-7323		UUCP:	  ..!{uunet,cunews}!ncs.dnd.ca!rpburry

gordon@meaddata.com (Gordon Edwards) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.131716.13481@st-andy.uucp>, larry@st-andy.uucp (Larry Martell) writes:
|> In article <ROB.91Jun3222835@fosters.med.utah.edu> rob@fosters.med.utah.edu (Rob Sargent) writes:
|> >
|> >Can anyone out there spare me the tedium of re-reading the tape and/or
|> >phoning tech support on this one. My installation of sybase on my
|> >sparcstation only has has char. based apt and sunview apt. (Judging by
|> >the mouse activity and the fact that no X/Openwindows windows will
|> >"raise" above the apt window).  My main question is this: does that
|> >distribution tape for sybase on a sparc even offer an X base apt
|> >environment. If not, is one available.
|> >
|> No, Sybase, at this time, does not off an X based environment. (You, of
|> course, can run Sunview apps in Open Windows.) I understand the X environment
|> is under beta test at this time, and will be released real soon now.

I have APT-Workbench 4.0.2 and it runs under X.  It looks just like the Sunview
version but is an X application.  I use the following start-up script.

#!/bin/csh
#
# xapt - start up the Sybase APT-Workbench
#
# usage: xapt

csh -c "setenv TERM x11; apt&"

Sybase does not use the common xterm as a terminal type so you need to redefine
TERM to x11.  I'll go ahead and list the version numbers off the rest of my
distribution if it will help with Customer Service.

	Sybase SQL Server			4.2
	Open Client DB-Library/C	4.2.5
	Data Workbench				4.1
	APT-Workbench				4.0.2

--
Gordon Edwards
gordon@meaddata.com

larry@st-andy.uucp (Larry Martell) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.223218.29954@ncs.dnd.ca> rpburry@ncs.dnd.ca (Paul Burry) writes:
>In article <1991Jun4.131716.13481@st-andy.uucp> uunet!st-andy!larry (Larry Martell) writes:
>|In article <ROB.91Jun3222835@fosters.med.utah.edu> rob@fosters.med.utah.edu (Rob Sargent) writes:
>|>
>.	.	.
>|>"raise" above the apt window).  My main question is this: does that
>|>distribution tape for sybase on a sparc even offer an X base apt
>|>environment. If not, is one available.
>|>
>|No, Sybase, at this time, does not off an X based environment. (You, of
>|course, can run Sunview apps in Open Windows.) I understand the X environment
>|is under beta test at this time, and will be released real soon now.
>
>Wrong.
>Sybase 4.2 is out now.  I have had it for about two months.  It supports X.

The info I posted came from Sybase themself when I asked them the same question
about 1 month ago. What happend to 4.1? We got Sybase in Oct. and we got 4.0.
We have full support. Does that mean we should get updates free, or do we have
to buy them?
--

ben@oy.sybase.com (benjamin e. von ullrich) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun6.131611.14909@st-andy.uucp> uunet!st-andy!larry (Larry Martell) writes:
]In article <1991Jun5.223218.29954@ncs.dnd.ca> rpburry@ncs.dnd.ca (Paul Burry) writes:
]>In article <1991Jun4.131716.13481@st-andy.uucp> uunet!st-andy!larry (Larry Martell) writes:
]>|No, Sybase, at this time, does not off an X based environment. (You, of
]>|course, can run Sunview apps in Open Windows.) I understand the X environment
]>|is under beta test at this time, and will be released real soon now.
]>
]
]The info I posted came from Sybase themself when I asked them the same question
]about 1 month ago. What happend to 4.1? We got Sybase in Oct. and we got 4.0.
]We have full support. Does that mean we should get updates free, or do we have
]to buy them?

well, it looks like it's about time someone from sybase gave the real story!

APT release 4.0.2 and data workbench 4.1 are the front-end releases that
support x11 on sun.  note that 4.0.2 is an APT-ONLY release, as 4.1 is a data
workbench ONLY release: there is no 4.0.2 data workbench and no 4.0.2 SQL
Server.  Both products work with our latest SQL Server release 4.2, and our
more most currently-installed SQL Server release 4.0.1 .  If you order all
front end products, you get 4.1 dwb and 4.0.2 apt, both of which support X11.

you need to set your TERM environment variable to ``x11'' to get the X version
of the products to start up.  after setting that, executing $SYBASE/bin/dwb
(or apt) should do the trick.  verifying that you have the file
$SYBASE/bin/dwb.x11 (or apt.x11) is a good idea before you start
expecting too much.

i'm not sure what the mass-update policy is on these releases.  call your sales
office more information, or customer service at 415 596 3333 .  if you have
trouble activating your X11-based software, call technical support at
415 596 3555 .

..ben
------
benjamin e. von ullrich		 only i do the talking here -- not my employer.
ben@sybase.com			       {pyramid,pacbell,sun,lll-tis}!sybase!ben
 "why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous?" -- hobbes on calvin