[comp.databases] Clipper 5.1 debuger bug

bruhoff@wybbs.mi.org (Brian Ruhoff) (06/16/91)

Hello,

  I have run into a problem when I try to compile with the debuger.

At the link set I get an error:

              Recsize
              Lupdate     as not knowing where to find them
Consequetly in the debuger when I try to F6 for Areas it dies.

Please any help will great.

Thank You

| Brian Ruhoff at wybbs  {...uunet!esseye!jdbbs!wybbs}   |
| Phone Voice  Work: 616-940-4240  WW Engineering & Sci  |

rdb@ktibv.uucp (Rob den Braasem) (06/18/91)

bruhoff@wybbs.mi.org (Brian Ruhoff) writes:

>Hello,

>  I have run into a problem when I try to compile with the debuger.

>At the link set I get an error:

>              Recsize
>              Lupdate     as not knowing where to find them
>Consequetly in the debuger when I try to F6 for Areas it dies.

>Please any help will great.

Hai Brian,

I don't know wether this is your problem but I got the same
error from the linker after a made a routine with the name HEADER.
This can be the reason for your problem, because F6 will access the
routines Recsize and Lupdate. These routines are defined in the
origibal HEADER routine in the clipper libs.

Rename your routine and it will be ok.

PABRAS (rdb@ktibv)

kebera@alzabo.ocunix.on.ca (Krishna E. Bera) (06/19/91)

bruhoff@wybbs.mi.org (Brian Ruhoff) writes:
>[...]
>At the link set I get an error:
>              Recsize
>              Lupdate     as not knowing where to find them
>Consequetly in the debuger when I try to F6 for Areas it dies.
>[...]

The bug must be in the linker.  The following is the error
message we get from RTLink:

	Undefined symbol(s) after library search

	Symbol			First Reference
	------			---------------
	'RECSIZE'		CLIPPER.LIB
	'LUPDATE'		CLIPPER.LIB

	Warning wrt0022: .EXE may not execute properly - undefined symbols.

This occurs when compiling a fairly large set of code with no special
options or switches on compile or link (and no calls to RECSIZE or
LUPDATE!).  The executable works fine, unless we try to run it as Brian
does.  We are linking in both CLIPPER and EXTEND libraries.  The link
map reveals that both RECSIZE and LUPDATE are there, but have 0 size.

Nantucket support says they'll get back to us, and, it must be a bug
because another person has also reported it.

I hope this helps one of you Clipper gurus to pin it down.
Cheers,
Krishna
--
Krishna E. Bera
Programmer/Analyst			kebera@alzabo.ocunix.on.ca

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun18.231113.2360@alzabo.ocunix.on.ca> kebera@alzabo.ocunix.on.ca (Krishna E. Bera) writes:

>The bug must be in the linker.  The following is the error
>message we get from RTLink:
>
>	Undefined symbol(s) after library search
>
>	Symbol			First Reference
>	------			---------------
>	'RECSIZE'		CLIPPER.LIB
>	'LUPDATE'		CLIPPER.LIB
>
>	Warning wrt0022: .EXE may not execute properly - undefined symbols.

As has been correctly reported here that isn't a Clipper product bug.  It
is due to someone having their own function called HEADER() which is now a
reserved word.  Problems will result if anyone has functions with the same
name as any of the newly included functions in 5.01.

These types of conflicts can be reduced by using #include "reserved.ch"
which will result in a duplicate definition error by the compiler.  I don't
use it as a general rule but if you have a large app you might want to test
it out against that file.

tom